Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's like déjà vu all over again

Old 01-18-2018, 10:43 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It's like déjà vu all over again

I can’t believe it......is my viscous coupler gone AGAIN? Or never repaired correctly in the first place ?

about three years ago I discovered my viscous coupler was not working while testing on snow covered driveway and took a video.

Took it to dealer and $$$ later I was fixed......or was i? Well there is no way to tell. Well there is no way to tell that is reliable or absolute in my opinion. I know put it up on the lift and start spinning one of the wheels and notes the behavior of the other wheels but I have noticed disparity in this procedure and that there are false positives and negative’s presented

So probably less than 1% of us drive these cars in snow so how many viscous couplers out there are actually working?

I have a unique driveway that’s about football field long so I could do this test and not drive it out on the streets where there is salt.
I put less than 500 miles on this car from video to video. The front wheels do nothing.

-3 years ago first video
-“fixed” at dealer
-drove 500 miles
-2 days ago video

“It's like déjà vu all over again”

any insight?

at the end of the second video I do a lovely fishtail with just a tiny blip of the throttle...AWD cars dont do that..... but i guess i have a heavy gt2 now.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 01-18-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Well, car sounds great!
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't say for sure, but are you sure your front diff isn't working properly? The rears obviously overwhelms traction, but isn't the front doing it's job, or is your progress, residual from the rear spinning? AWD cars can/will "fish tail" since they're not 50/50 biased, and front is just additional drive, when rear is overwhelmed. I can break the rear free when needed, but still feel the front clawing during high speed turns. T-6, heading towards the top of T-7 at MRLS is where I know it still works. It just grabs :-)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Can't say for sure, but are you sure your front diff isn't working properly? The rears obviously overwhelms traction, but isn't the front doing it's job, or is your progress, residual from the rear spinning? AWD cars can/will "fish tail" since they're not 50/50 biased, and front is just additional drive, when rear is overwhelmed. I can break the rear free when needed, but still feel the front clawing during high speed turns. T-6, heading towards the top of T-7 at MRLS is where I know it still works. It just grabs :-)
Thanks, yes I considered this. I have another video.....its my 996 turbo S and all 4 wheels are spinning unlike the 993tt in same control environment....are the two systems very different?
Old 01-18-2018, 10:45 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Do you have the Fister exhaust? Regardless, does it/can it set off car alarms in the street or parking garages?

I have often wondered about my vc.

only 500 miles in 3 years
Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
Do you have the Fister exhaust?
Sounds like Fabspeed bypass to my ears.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:36 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Not fisters. Tried em. Going against the grain but I just did not care for the sound. I wanted something deeper with a total elimination of any kind of “farty” sound.

This took me about 50 hours of personal trial, error, and expense. I have a ridiculous amount of spare parts in the garage including tech arts, fab, borla, Dansk, and such. what I ended up with was headers, cat bypass pipes (good ear Lex), and some old school Robin Sun RSR mufflers.

The result well you can hear it it’s pretty loud but the most important aspect...... inside the cabin it’s as quiet as or quieter than stock.....unbelievable i know..... you can hold a conversation with other occupants at just above a whisper level. No drone anywhere in rpm range/not subjective/just not there interpreted by even the most discerning ear.
First video was still a work in progress "putt putt" sound still appreciable. Second video is finished....even hear turbos spooling in person ez.

back from the tangent...... I don’t know I guess so maybe the all-wheel-drive system is supposed to just be that flaccid but I know for a fact other 911‘s and virtually all other all-wheel-drive vehicles do not behave this poorly in snow. And just in my laymens interpretation.... how could it possibly perform well the darn front wheels don’t move..... no engineering degree necessary for that.

Last edited by Ridin Dirty; 01-19-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Didn't mean to take it off topic. I could hear the turbo in the second video - it sounds great.

Bring it back to who repaired it 3 years ago. They should have recorded the mileage on the invoice too and take a good look at the car gratis. So the low mileage helps!

You took it pretty gently on the driveway test drive. With performance tires you should be able to give it a little more spin ( ;-) ) and violently spin the wheels - then, I think, the fronts should spin. Don't do that if you have snow tires. I think something is not right but I'm still new to these cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's like déjà vu all over again