Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum-62/)
-   -   Gents, check your tranny mounts...DIY instructions inside (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/742178-gents-check-your-tranny-mounts-diy-instructions-inside.html)

Quadcammer 02-23-2013 12:37 AM

Gents, check your tranny mounts...DIY instructions inside

So, if any of you recall, i had a strange vibration at certain rpms under decel. Consenus was that it was a failing DMF, but I wanted to give the tranny mount a try before diving in further.

Part is $155 at online sources. Only need the mount, nothing else. Note, the rubber mount is installed in a bracket...the below part number includes both, no pressing is necessary.

part number is 993 375 023 00

Tools needed:

phillips screw driver
10mm socket
15mm socket
17mm socket
17mm box wrench
torque wrench

Instructions:

1. Jack up rear of car, put it on stands or ramps
2. Remove the tranny covers, front and rear...few 10mm plastic nuts and about a dozen screws.
3. Lightly jack up the transmission towards the front. Just enough that the whole car raises.
4. locate tranny mount...passenger side, towards the front of the tranny...if you can't find it, put the car back down and take it to a shop.
5. Using the 17mm box wrench and 17mm socket, remove the long bolt that holds the mount to the crossmember.
6. Using 15mm socket, remove 3 nuts holding mount to tranny.
7. Using 17mm socket, remove 6 bolts holding the crossmember
Note, you may be able to change the order of steps 5-7 if you think its easier.
8. Once the 6 bolts are out, the crossmember falls off, remove that, slide the mount off the studs.

9. Slide new mount on the studs, tight nuts lightly so that there is a mm or two of wiggle in the mount.
10. hold crossmember in place, install 6 bolts, again tighten lightly.
11. put bolt through mount/crossmember...note, washers on both sides, tighten lightly.
12. With the tranny still jacked up, torque the cross member bolts...34 ft-lbs.
13. Torque mount to tranny nuts...same 34 ft-lbs.
14. Torque mount to crossmember bolt...34 ft-lbs...cross hold necessary
15. remove jack, make sure there is essentially no movement
16. replace covers

I had 88k miles on my car, oem mount (cosmoline covered)...some cracking in the rubber, whether its a big deal or not, who knows, but I'm glad I did it.

Pics of old:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...psffdab205.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps9bea5bef.jpg

Basal Skull 02-23-2013 01:27 AM

Nice job, cool something else I can do at some point! So, did it make the vibration better?

Texas993 02-23-2013 08:32 AM

Nice work. You made it sound easy. No busted knuckles?

Quadcammer 02-23-2013 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Basal Skull (Post 10247591)
Nice job, cool something else I can do at some point! So, did it make the vibration better?

I haven't actually driven it yet. It was late and i was tired, but will try it out today or tomorrow.

Btw, i think you did the 2wd conversion, in which cause your tranny mount is different now (i think).

Originally Posted by Texas993 (Post 10247863)
Nice work. You made it sound easy. No busted knuckles?

honestly, the only thing that made it hard was doing it with the car on ramps. With that little clearance, it makes it annoying, but still not hard.

On a lift or even with more clearance, its an absolute piece of cake. Access to everything is easy, bolts are not too tight and there is no need to fiddle with anything.

doing that stupid transmission selector shaft seal was way more of a pain.

Kein_Ersatz 02-23-2013 10:31 AM

Thanks for sharing the wisdom!

rlme36 02-23-2013 11:12 AM

Thanks for doing the write up. I'll just put it on the list for the car this spring. My miles are lower, but the age of the rubber is probably more of an impact

Rob

993Godspeed 02-23-2013 12:56 PM

Definitely doing this!

Basal Skull 02-23-2013 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 10247944)

Btw, i think you did the 2wd conversion, in which cause your tranny mount is different now (i think).

Naw, the trans mount is the same, just put the FDmotorsport 2wd conversion transmount in and left the regular mount as is, thought about doing this trans mount at the same time (using RS bits) but didn't do it.

LexVan 02-24-2013 10:30 AM

Quad, prior to this repair, did you have any type of a "buzz" or "rattle" in your shift knob? Has this changed since the trans mount replacement? Thanks.

johnneurauter 02-24-2013 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 10250287)
Quad, prior to this repair, did you have any type of a "buzz" or "rattle" in your shift knob? Has this changed since the trans mount replacement? Thanks.

Interested in watching the results of this one. I have the suddenly buzzing shift knob (more in cooler temps it seems), and have had a strange vibration on acceleration for a little while, very noticeable when pulling hard in 3rd or 4th. Just been hard to tell if it's driveline, suspension or wheel/tire issues that I'm only noticing at that point. Obviously all time consuming issues to troubleshoot.

Quadcammer 02-24-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 10250287)

very occassionally. With the wevo motor mounts, there is a little bit more vibration from the driveline in general, but my issue was a very sudden, noticeable buzzing from the shifter on decel. So if you rev to 5k rpm, and let the engine decelerate, at about 4000rpm to about 3800rpm, it would buzz, and then like an off switch it went away. Didn't do it all the time.

I still think its likely a failing DMF.

I still have not yet driven the car, so I can't confirm that this is gone.

Mike J 02-24-2013 12:59 PM

So you do not know if this did anything at all right?

Quadcammer 02-24-2013 01:27 PM

correct, i have not driven the car yet.

ca993twin 02-24-2013 03:21 PM

With 130,000 miles on Rufus, I had FD Motorsports change my tranny mount last year. The old one had visible cracks in it. The net result? Nada. Bupkis. Zilch. At least to my numb butt.

Mike J 02-24-2013 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ca993twin (Post 10250890)
With 130,000 miles on Rufus, I had FD Motorsports change my tranny mount last year. The old one had visible cracks in it. The net result? Nada. Bupkis. Zilch. At least to my numb butt.

Exactly - I just want to see if it actually does anything before people start adding this to their lists. I have changed this part before - nada impact as well, or at least not one you can feel. Hopefully it solves the vibration problem that Quad is experiencing though.