Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need Serious Help!!!!!! (Gauge Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 AM
deuce1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Need Serious Help!!!!!! (Gauge Lights)

Please help me before I smash my head against the steering wheel! Long story short, when I bought my car 1996 993TT it arrived to me with some electrical problems. The taillights didn't work, blinkers didn't work, license plate didn't work and the instrument gauge lights didn't work.

After 5 months of going through every corner of the car and perfecting piece by piece whenever I have free time, I decided to tackle the last two electrical problems left; Instrument lights and license plate light. I have tried everything under the sun and I am about to go mentally insane !!!!! I have taken the entire dash apart, pulled radio, all gauges, climate control unit, dimmers etc trying to trace all the wires you name it.

STATUS: The obvious I have checked every fuse in the front fuse compartment, I checked the wiring to the dimmer **** and they are all secure. There was a previous post I found that mentioned two relays behind the dash on the left side and one is a VOD that controls the dash lights part number is 964 618 103 00

There was a thread on 08/29/2001 by Curtis - '97 Targa entitled "How do I jump this relay?". (http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...his-relay.html) In the post he explained his dash lights were out, his fuse was good and he wanted to jump the relay (relay 24 which is the VOD part number is 964 618 103 00 I mentioned above that is located behind my dash NOT in the fuse box like this gentlemen's) to see if that was the problem. I tried this, pulled the controller/relay and jumped the instructed 58(green) with 58d (green/blue). Supposedly 58: comes from the light switch & 58D : Goes to the illumination.

NO LUCK!!!!!

There were other posts mentioning to pull the R11 relay and drop another relay in there and see if that works as this has been a problem and has helped numerous other Rennlisters…….. No Luck

I found some postings that talked about the ashtray light possibly causing problems, however there is no ashtray light in my car as the lower dash has been deleted and I can't seem to locate anything behind the dash I think would be the ashtray light wires, I really need a wire diagram or service book or something that breaks down every single wire that goes to every gauge, switch, light you name it in the dash because at this point I'm about to smash something …… Is There Anyone Out There That Can Help Me???

Last edited by deuce1; 11-29-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I cannot believe you are trying this without wiring diagrams?

What did they do with the light for the ashtray, since the end of that cable should be around even if the knee pad is not on the car -> perhaps that deletion was done poorly?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM
deuce1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike J
I cannot believe you are trying this without wiring diagrams?

What did they do with the light for the ashtray, since the end of that cable should be around even if the knee pad is not on the car -> perhaps that deletion was done poorly?

Cheers,

Mike
I cannot find the cable that would have gone to the ashtray light, maybe someone here has a picture of what it would look like? Yes I am doing this without a wiring diagram as I haven't had any luck finding a high enough quality one.

Anyone else have any ideas??
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Senor: I have a complete set of workshop manuals. You are local I'd be happy to lend them to you.
Other than that I would go see Mike Schatz in Camarillo. http://mksperformance.com/
He knows these cars inside and out.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

Have you checked the light switch itself? Mine has been working intermittently and needs to be replaced. When I turn the switch on headlights come on but instrument lights do not. If I keep fiddling with the switch I can get the instrument lights to light. Until I replace the switch it's painful but at least I can get them to light. Your issue may be as simple as the switch. Hopefully!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
Senor: I have a complete set of workshop manuals. You are local I'd be happy to lend them to you.
Other than that I would go see Mike Schatz in Camarillo. http://mksperformance.com/
He knows these cars inside and out.
^^^I agree with Scott. Mike is currently sorting out some electical issues my car has/had.

Chad

Quick Reply: I Need Serious Help!!!!!! (Gauge Lights)