Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low to mid $60k for a nice example of 993tt???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In an attempt to inject more than opinion on this subject.....I purchased my tt less than a year ago. It is shown in my avatar. It was a no stories southern CA. car with ROW H&R suspension, new Hankook V12's, Alpine everything radio, and 5 nearly invisible chips on the front bumper, otherwise the car could not be told from new. The mileage was 24,400. Most importantly, the PPI found one low cylinder. The owner paid a top flight Porsche only shop in Santa Barbara to do a valve job. While the car was apart I was able to have $6,500 of parts installed at zero labor charge. I paid $73,500 to the seller for this car. I think I paid a fair price for this car. I would love to believe it is worth much more than the 80K I have in it, but it will be up to my estate to figure out what it is really worth cuz I will never sell this car (unless a really cool RUF like Rufus comes along) I hope this doesn't make all you tt owner's mad at me. I'm just trying to inject a little reality. The opposite, I suspect, that many dealers
are trying to do. I will don my flame suit and go out in boat where I
can't be reached. I'm glad you all are here. It makes the ownership of these cars so much more fun.....Chris
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No HT, you are hilarious!

You are right, friends don't let friends sell these relatively rare cars. I must admit, though, that I've barely driven the car much this year. NO FREE TIME!!
Ugh.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Chris, nice car. Does yours have HB sport seats?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

No it doesn't. I intended to state that it didn't, but I was so focused on cleaning up my many typos I forgot. I really didn't put the value on HB seats that so many here do. Since this is my third 993, I was hyper sensitive to the valve guide issue. Because of the low mileage, I initially wasn't going to have a PPI with leakdown done, but RLers, most prominently Quadcammer, disabused me of that notion. Boy Am I glad they did. Being an old fart, I'm not tracking this car. I am into comfort, acceleration and a car that makes me grin, whether driving it or looking at it.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Chris, would it be fair to say that if your car had HB sport seats that your purchase price would've been at least $2-3K higher ?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Shtootgart
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got out of the 993 market by buying a NA C4S because I liked the lines better (thought the tail got in the way a bit). Originally I was going to go turbo and based on what I have seen you can find turbos in the mid $60K range. I'm sure you've searched it out and you are probably smart to start here and find a well maintained one.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

I don't have a clue. They weren't important to me, but that's just me. Right now people are bidding up the value of a Riviera Blue C2S north of 105K. I personally see the C2S as the only Porsche poser ever built. At least the old turbo look torsion bar cars had the big turbo brakes. If I had to own a C2S, I would not pick that blue. I had an 89' turbo cab that was marine blue...that's the blue I like. Without this difference of opinion there would be no horse racing and we would all be fighting over the same woman.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

The point that I intended to make in my last post, and forgot (probably because I'm sitting here with my second martini) is that the market is the market, a tautology for you philosophy majors. My example is a snapshot of the market at the moment I bought my car. How much would we all like to back date prices of stock? That happens for some, but not for me. Where the market is now, I'm clueless. The only thing I am certain of is this, if you have a 993tt, you have the very high point of Porsche street cars...keep looking...get a PPI.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by solomonschris
The point that I intended to make in my last post, and forgot (probably because I'm sitting here with my second martini) is that the market is the market, a tautology for you philosophy majors. My example is a snapshot of the market at the moment I bought my car. How much would we all like to back date prices of stock? That happens for some, but not for me. Where the market is now, I'm clueless. The only thing I am certain of is this, if you have a 993tt, you have the very high point of Porsche street cars...keep looking...get a PPI.
All good points.
I think a lot of it is how motivated both the buyer and seller are as well. Given the small supply of these cars we can't really price them like a commodity that is in very large supply (think corn, wheat, silver, etc).

The "spread" on these cars is wide. If the OP were to wire $75K to my bank tomorrow I would sell him my car (given the fact that I don't drive it much). If he were to only offer low-mid 60's I would politely say 'no' and walk away. Somewhere in between those 2 numbers would be MY VERSION of the market. Now multiply that a few hundred times and there is the total 993TT market.

(I've traded stocks/bonds for a living for 21 years and I think that's warped my brain )
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

5 grand one way or the other seems to me chump change to have one of these cars in your life at a time when it matters to you. There are no redoes.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very well put!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

5 grand one way or the other seems to me chump change to have one of these cars in your life at a time when it matters to you. There are no redoes.
Agreed
Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Well said. Beautiful ride and congratulations.

Chad
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
driveitlikeyoustoleit
Instructor

i've got a blk/blk stock car in chicago 56k miles. PM sent.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by driveitlikeyoustoleit
i've got a blk/blk stock car in chicago 56k miles. PM sent.
PM sent to you.

Quick Reply: Low to mid $60k for a nice example of 993tt???