Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slowly going crazy! squeaking brakes...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowly going crazy! squeaking brakes...............

Hello guys,

I purchased a 97' 993TT a while back that came with Pagid pads (currently 80% life). All kidding aside, the noise that these things make is just straight out embarrassing. I’ve heard/read/know the deal with track pads and missing vibration dampers and I have not yet pulled them apart to verify and rectify. Whats got me stumped, is the slight soft annoying squeaks I hear as I’m maneuvering at very low speeds in a parking lot or gas station which is coming from the wheels/brakes [B]WITHOUT[B] pressing the brakes. Now..... I took a close look at where the pads are make their contact with the discs and especially on their leading edges, they do look very close to making contact with the lip or step that was created as the rotors wore down. I should state that the rotors have been worn down pretty good but are still within their safety requirements. This slight repetitive squeak never happens in my driveway or making a left/right turn to go around my block for a quickie, only when I have reached my (lets say 5-8km) destination and I’m pulling into a plaza, parking lot or gas station. This info leads me to believe that the heat generated from my breaking is closing up any clearances (if any on my TT) between the leading edges of the pads and the lip/step on my rotors. Another thought I had (that could very well contribute to this hypnosis’s) is the emense heat these beautiful beasts give off and/or have to withstand. There is so much heat in the rear wheel wells, and that’s where the sound seems to be coming from..the rear! I’m hoping someone can shed some info or advice on how to tackle this.

Thanks in advance

Tanker

Old 07-24-2012, 07:54 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you track the car? Put OEM pads in. Make sure you buy new sensor wires too. If you want to got to the track, pop in the Pagids. Probably done in 30 minutes.

OEM fronts are about $167 and rears are about $162. Wire sets are $30.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

hello No HTwo O,

No, I dont track the car, but may sometime in the future. What is the main reason for changing the sensor wires? Should that be done evey time you change the pads?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by LITTLE TANKER
hello No HTwo O,

No, I dont track the car, but may sometime in the future. What is the main reason for changing the sensor wires? Should that be done evey time you change the pads?
If you are not tracking the car, you DON'T need the Pagids. The problem with the sensor wires, is that they break easily. The real track junkies, just by-pass the sensor wires (zip tie 'em out of the way) since they are checking and changing them on a regular basis. They don't need a sensor telling them something they are usually aware of well in advance.

The OEM pads are great.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

So..... pads, sensor wires and dampers of course, if mine aren't already there.

Thanks pal,
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

check that your heat shields aren't touching the rotors, if your car has been tracked before (probably has since it has pagids) they are prone to warping and contacting the rotors, if they are close, just bend them away (or remove them if you plan on tracking your car)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 AM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

Thanks Basal Skull,

I will check that out as well. I never thought that could be a possibility, I guess that's why I payed the big bucks to be a member on this forum
Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

plus(depending on what Pagids they are) the track pads should work terrible cold and are harder on your rotors all the time. The pads are soo easy to change on these cars its ridiculous. Throw in stock equivalents and be done with squeaks.

Chad
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

You said it Chad!!!! Screw this s***!!!!!! OEM it is!!!!!!!!!

Hope it solves the squeaks at low speeds that I've been hearing from the *** end as well!

Thanks again boys!

Hey Chad! what color is your TT!!!??? Thats amazing, and must be rare.......never seen it before in pic's/person! Is that the Slate Grey a lot of people chirp about!?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Tanker, I have OEM pads. And no squeaks. It will solve your problem. Don't forget, in 1996 our 993 Turbos were touted as the fasted stoping cars in the World.

Yes, Chad's Turbo is Slate Gray. Very nice.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 PM
LITTLE TANKER
Advanced

That's right! I remember watching one of those programs such as "Car and Driver" (not sure which one) back then, and I’m pretty sure the 993 TT was up against the Z06 as well as the Viper. I recall the 993TT taking the braking challenge.......... I'll just get-r-done and be done with it! Even if it's still squeaking a bit, I’m sure it'll be a hell of a lot better.

Chad's color is a stunner, but I like yours a lot too...........looks like your TT drank a lot of fine wine! Beautiful color as well. Arctic silver does it for me,............. and always has! It reminds me of the olden day p-cars.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:05 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

The nice thing too, is that you can lift the whole side of the 993, use the proper jack stands, and do both brake calipers (front & rear). You don't need to lift all 4 corners.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LITTLE TANKER
You said it Chad!!!! Screw this s***!!!!!! OEM it is!!!!!!!!!

Hope it solves the squeaks at low speeds that I've been hearing from the *** end as well!

Thanks again boys!

Hey Chad! what color is your TT!!!??? Thats amazing, and must be rare.......never seen it before in pic's/person! Is that the Slate Grey a lot of people chirp about!?
It is Slate Grey. Fastest color available on a Porsche!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Its possible not to have any squeaking and not have your spiders (dampers) - but its tricky, you might need some brake plate lube.

The best way is, as you say, use Porsche brand pads, use their spiders, and you can elect to turf the wear sensors. I usually just keep mine tied off - but then again I am always checking stuff out on the car and I watch pad wear carefully.

There are a few ways to get the pad glued to the spiders in teh correct position. Most are based on putting the spiders onto the caliper pistons first, then removing the protective cover that exposes the adhesive, and then positioning and pressing on the pads. I do then with the calipers on the car - if the pistons are fully pressed into the caliper, there is enough room to slip the brake pad into the caliper without touching the spider, then once you know you are in the right position, you can press the pad against the spider - the adhesion is very strong so you have one shot at it.

Anyways, I found the best solution for brake squealing is going as stock as possible. Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

My car has stock pads and no spiders and...no squeeks, ever. I also have new disks
My previous pads were Pagid Orange and they squeeled like a pig. My 951 has the yellows and lots of squeeling going on.
Good luck with the pads.

Quick Reply: Slowly going crazy! squeaking brakes...............