Sponsored by:

California Smog Turbo vs 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those codes are a PITA. I had to pay my mechanic to trick the car into setting the codes. Some say to go out and drive for a few hours, but if you're not able to hit the conditions on the road you can drive "forever" before setting the codes.

Once they're set, I have always passed smog with flying colors!
Old 07-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

The emissions monitors on a 993 can be a pain to set via the "normal" means of driving for a few hours. I have developed a quick drive cycle that I have used on dozens of customer 993s, NA, Turbo, Tiptronic, etc and I have never yet failed to set them on any via the drive cycle and monitoring the numbers with a scan tool, event the supposed "problem" cars where many have tried and failed to set them. If you know how the system works, they can be easily set.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I have to get a a smog check at a 'star' station. Any recommendations where to go for the San Francisco Bay Area?

Also with regards to the viscous coupler - how would one know if their's was toast? Would my mechanic have noticed all the times I brought it in for repairs? (clutch slave cylinder, oil changes, diagnostic tests)
Old 11-14-2013, 01:16 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW drive cycle worked great for me the last time I needed to set readiness. The key is that "normal" driving has nothing do with it. You can't rev over 3k, and you can't exceed (iirc) 60mph. It's really unpleasant to do, but not that hard. It just entails discipline and a lot of glares from other drivers who wonder wtf is wrong with you.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I agree with Chad. Just take it to Mike Schatz at MKS Performance in Camarillo. He can "do the drive" and set the codes first time every time.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Well I managed to PASS at a 'ghetto' Star Certified station in the Mission District. I had to tell the guy at least twice to NOT put it on the rollers while at the same time he struggles with the clutch. The shop had an unpaved driveway and a bunch of cheap cars for sale. All and all they were super nice and got the job done. The car had just done 70 or so miles that morning from Santa Cruz. I must have only had maybe 400-500 miles since the battery was disconnected.

I figure on a a rolling road dyno it would be easy to do all the drive tests to get the readyness codes.

With regards to the four wheel drive - all they do is simply not put it on the rollers in my case.

Camarillo is a little further away than just two blocks from my apartment.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:58 AM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

3 different computers and 3 different reads. Ca certainly hates the auto world! We pay the most and get treated like crap. If you think the 993 is bad- it's almost impossible with a Ferrari (pre 2002)
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Wow CA is even tougher than I imagined. In PA there are two "angles" to be exempt:

First is if you drive less than 5000k miles per year you are emissions exempt.
Second is "classic car" registration exempts from emissions.

But these are PA regulations. Just some ideas.
Joe
Old 12-09-2013, 10:38 AM
dombeau
Instructor

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
Wow CA is even tougher than I imagined. In PA there are two "angles" to be exempt:

First is if you drive less than 5000k miles per year you are emissions exempt.
Second is "classic car" registration exempts from emissions.

But these are PA regulations. Just some ideas.
Joe
How old must be a car for classic car registration? Here it must be at least 20 years old and if you do so, you cannot drive on the highway. Imagine keeping your tt below 40mph….
Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

15 years is "classic" 25 is "antique"
classic still has safety inspections but no emissions
antique doesn't even have those..nothin..nada

classic effectively has no restrictions (think it's 15k/year but no one here does that I think)
antique is the one with weird restrictions (like you could only drive it in daylight and/or on weekends etc..)
BUT you could just keep the classic plate and drive all you want; certainly no speed restrictions. You dont even have to pa for a registration every year to the state.....it's just a one time deal

I feel fortunate compared to the CA guys

Quick Reply: California Smog Turbo vs 993