Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While I was in there savings

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You buy gas at Safeway?......ohh the humanity.....

Just kidding, nice looking ride. Red and grey interior are a nice combo
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM
FC356
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Great looking GR TT. I just had my steering rack replaced also at 29K miles. I am curious tho how the plugs were replaced for such little labor cost. I was always under the impression that the #6 plug IIRC is a bitch to get to, and that they charge accordingly.

Frank
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Jackson911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony, your new turbo looks great. Please post some pics of it next to your Rivi cab. Congrats!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stunning car ... thanks for posting. the more i see our cars the more like the oem wheels on them. pss 10's and you're done.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:16 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the most I would do would be bilstein m030 shocks n springs when the monroes give out.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 AM
DALLWA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks for that info. I had it in my head that I needed to replace the old lines but now I just realize it was me getting old and losing my mind.

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The turbo oil lines do not wear out, however there are some aftermarket lines that include check valves and anti siphon shapes that will prevent oil from "backing" into the turbos. I'll bet the tech was talking about the turbo intercooler hoses. They can wear out, and the 97 turbos came with better materials. They can be identified by the orange ends. You may also want to update the clamps tho the "Breeze" constant torque style to prevent tearing those hoses and to keep them from popping off.
Yes, it feels good to know she is all topped off running like a champ.

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Thats a great looking car. You can enjoy it knowing everything is up to scratch.
Impressive looking car.
Cheers
LOL, Colorado is horrible for gas 91 octane max. You'll feel better to know that I buy 5 gallons of 91 octane gas and mix with 5 gallons of 104 octane racing fuel. I keep a can in the garage. It runs extremely strong that way with no knocking. The racing fuel is not cheap but she is worth it.

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
You buy gas at Safeway?......ohh the humanity.....
Just kidding, nice looking ride. Red and grey interior are a nice combo
Yep, they normally charge $900 for the plugs, but I already had her out near out with the check valves so they cut me a great deal.

Originally Posted by FC356
Great looking GR TT. I just had my steering rack replaced also at 29K miles. I am curious tho how the plugs were replaced for such little labor cost. I was always under the impression that the #6 plug IIRC is a bitch to get to, and that they charge accordingly.

Frank
Thanks Jackson! Yes, I love my combo. Riv Blue cab and a GR Turbo. Best of both worlds really to me. I attached a few pics.

Originally Posted by Jackson911
Tony, your new turbo looks great. Please post some pics of it next to your Rivi cab. Congrats!
I'm with you both. I would prefer a better suspension when the time is right. But I also enjoy not sweating my driveway or neighborhood speed bumps. Its a tug and pull. I also really like the stock twists, but I see some black wheels coming for Fall Winter weather too.

Originally Posted by parsonii
stunning car ... thanks for posting. the more i see our cars the more like the oem wheels on them. pss 10's and you're done.
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I think the most I would do would be bilstein m030 shocks n springs when the monroes give out.
Attached Images      
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Nice snaps!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

"LOL, Colorado is horrible for gas 91 octane max. You'll feel better to know that I buy 5 gallons of 91 octane gas and mix with 5 gallons of 104 octane racing fuel. I keep a can in the garage. It runs extremely strong that way with no knocking. The racing fuel is not cheap but she is worth it."

Mixing fuels is a good idea for better performance, but our cars have an elaborate knock detection system that pulls timing and boost. Consequently, poor fuels won't hurt these cars (other than performance), and you will never hear a pre-ignition knock.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

On the gas issue. Where did I read that at higher elevation, you don't need the 93 octane and that 91 is sufficient? Something to do with the elevation causing the 91 to have as much energy as 93 at lower elevation.

Personally, I rarely notice a difference in performance between 91 and 93 octane is similar conditions. Maybe just the way that my car is tuned. Despite that, I try for 93 where I can.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM
DALLWA
Racer

It may be similar to "taking you dog to the spa" or "powdercoating your new Fister III in Black Velvet". It just feels good putting better fuel in the car, even though the car may never benefit from it.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:02 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
On the gas issue. Where did I read that at higher elevation, you don't need the 93 octane and that 91 is sufficient? Something to do with the elevation causing the 91 to have as much energy as 93 at lower elevation.
Not to nit-pick too much, but it isn't the fuel that changes at high elevation, its the requirement for higher octane that changes. With lower barometric pressure, you simply can't jam as much air into the engine. The octane requirement is similarly reduced at high elevations. Ok, I confess... I DO nit-pick too much.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Guards Red. It's the new Speed Yellow!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Not to nit-pick too much, but it isn't the fuel that changes at high elevation, its the requirement for higher octane that changes. With lower barometric pressure, you simply can't jam as much air into the engine. The octane requirement is similarly reduced at high elevations. Ok, I confess... I DO nit-pick too much.
Thanks Steve. That makes sense.

As many know, I take my car to CO every summer. The house I stay in is at 9,000' and my favorite road is 13,000'. The car is amazing fast. The primary difference I experience is how much later the turbos spool up due to the thin air.

In Dallas, they will kick in at about 3200 rpm. At higher elevation (above 10,000') they really kick in above 4000 rpm. So I have to adjust my driving.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
DALLWA
Racer

Having the opportunity to own these two cars,
similar but very different in terms of how I use them,
I wish Porsche would have released a 993TT Cab.

I'm sure someone knows why they didnt,
but that to me would be the ultimate daily street car.

Last edited by DALLWA; 05-20-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:33 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DALLWA
Having the opportunity to own these two cars,
similar but very different in terms of how I use them,
I wish Porsche would have released a 993TT Cab.

I'm sure someone knows why they didnt,
but that to me would be the ultimate daily street car.
Hey Tony, I think they did. I think Porsche made maybe 5 or 7 of these for the entire World. Someone here will know the right answer.

I have always felt, with the windows down, the sunroof open, great sight lines, small A pillars, and the intimate size of our cabins; the cars feels very much like a cab. About as close as you can get.

Quick Reply: While I was in there savings