Sponsored by:

RWD Poly Trans Mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RWD Poly Trans Mount

I have been planning on doing a " better than stock" transmount for three years now. Always something else more important seems to take precedent. I know that one day the cantilever stock mount was going to heave itself. As most do the conversion to RWD usually coincides with an increase in power and the lefthand motor mount has to deal with much of the extra load.

The goal was to package it tight and match the polyurethane motor mounts in stiffness / durometer. I got the package tight, it is a 100% bolt in but have to say I missed on the NVH. Since the car does not have it's dual mass flywheel any more this new mount is a direct pathway to your *** for every bit of gear rattle the powertrain can produce. It is not as harsh as the full race mount but not different enough to notice much improvement. Don't notice the noise and vibrations as much as on the track.

Version two will have bigger diameter urethane and it will also be softer. That is only because the car is very much dual purpose. For full track this set up ties it down really well.

Last edited by Essexmetal; 01-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

That looks pretty!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 184 Posts

Mad skiilz!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Pres, do you weld aluminum? I'd like to run Basal's custom IC under a stock rear spoiler. Xlnt work btw!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Essexmetal
Instructor

I get plenty of aluminum welding practice keeping the watercoolers on the track.

Many aircooled guys don't know or for that matter don't care :-) that GT3's and 996 / 997 turbos use the aircooled, dry sump engine cases. They have very elaborate cast aluminum water manifolds that run the water around the heads / cylinders. In what can only be a cost cutting maneuver they machine a socket into the casting and "glue" an aluminum tube into it. The water hose goes onto this beaded tube. Well after a few years of heat / cool cycles at the track, the adhesive has had enough and the rest is a bad day for you and whoever is following you. Some tracks are mandating welding the tubes to the casting. All the ones I have done are preventative, non of these guys found out the hard way what it is like to have watercooled tires.

Aircooling engines still rules. They still use air to cool the water. Why not cut out the middleman ??
Rick

Last edited by Essexmetal; 01-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

purdy
Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Those 'dime on dime' welds are very godh/professional, that takes lots of skill to do around those corners. I'd have no chance...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:03 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

All I have to say is Verrry Niccccee! and how much?Bert
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Guys, thanks for the good words. Bert several people have written me on the Transmount. I reply that it is not ready for retail sale. I need to do a version two with more compliance. I feel it is too harsh currently. Never intended to sell them but if I get it worked out I would fixture up a run for those that need one. Have to keep our cars running strong against the water cooled menace.
Rick

Quick Reply: RWD Poly Trans Mount