Sponsored by:

more DIY gt2rs intercooler data

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Red9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
The air on the track was about 90F, post IC temp got all the way up to 220F but ran about 200F. Sorry for the confusion, I tried to convert to Celsius to make it easier for you.
The water/methanol liquid is getting injected into the air/fuel mixture.
I'm happy as the engine is running nice and cool. The goal was improved engine longevity rather than increased power really.
Shifting into the next gear before 6000 RPM most of the time is also pretty relaxing.
I dont mean to hijack thread-- is there more info on water/meth ? Thread?
Results etc
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

More data for those interested.
Same front stretch, this time ambient temps in the mid 30's (reached 36-37Celcius in the afternoon) July 8th

Last session I did, 15th lap. running in the mid 1:55`s per lap.
Post intercooler temps reached only 51 celcius up to 143 gps MPH on the front stretch. On the rest of the track, temps stayed in the high 30`s to low 40`s celcius.

These intercoolers keep temps within 20 degrees celcius of ambient in my opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:38 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

What peak boost and what sort of power (60-130 ?) does your car have (how heavy is it ?) and what sized type of turbos, does it have cams ? , cats ?

I'm just trying to get a handle on how hot the entering boost air is likely to be because the IAT numbers you have are amazing.

The Porsche MS race Secan EVO front to back 20K Euro intercoolers were said to keep IAT within 20C of ambient and that was for ~630PS K24/26 engines with big manifolds and open exhausts running about 1.1 to 1.2bar at max power.

Originally Posted by Basal Skull

These intercoolers keep temps within 20 degrees celcius of ambient in my opinion.
Certainly on your engine up to 4th gear

You really should look at putting these into production, someone somewhere will surely use your idea, these things could be fabbed up for under 2K Euro, they would be a must have for all 993 turbos.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM
lopro
Banned

sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow

15 C differential on a 36 C day?

Can you do that again?
Old 07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I have Kevin's stage 2 - ecu/stage2 (?K16/24?26)/ 100 cell cats + diy oil cooler/diy ported stock headers
It weighed 3134lbs without the sparetire but have been running with it in the car so +30lb? and I weigh 170 or so with my gear so = 3334 lb best estimate.
(using 92 octane gas as that's all they have at the local gas station in Shelton).

I think it's supposed to boost to 1.2-3 peak but if you look at the last run, boost was only about 1.1? - not sure if there's a problem/leak or that's what the ecu is asking for? if you look at my prior runs, the boost appears to go 1.2+? It seems to run fine so I haven't fussed but maybe I should?
My 60-130 times I've only done on this track and the start of the front stretch I'm in third and rolling the throttle on and is not a straight line, the numbers I get is in the high 10's (i.e. 10.9). I'm usually shifting at only 6000rpm or so. I remember Felix had posted high 9's in his car with similar set up? (just looked at previous runs earlier in the year on day with single digit ambient temps, the 60-130 times were as low as 10.1)
I reach 143mph just past 6000 rpm in 5th gear and the max temps are seen at then.

I guess the best thing to do is get pre intercooler temps, I have ordered another air temp sensor...

any other data I can post?

Ryojo

Originally Posted by TB993tt
What peak boost and what sort of power (60-130 ?) does your car have (how heavy is it ?) and what sized type of turbos, does it have cams ? , cats ?

I'm just trying to get a handle on how hot the entering boost air is likely to be because the IAT numbers you have are amazing.

The Porsche MS race Secan EVO front to back 20K Euro intercoolers were said to keep IAT within 20C of ambient and that was for ~630PS K24/26 engines with big manifolds and open exhausts running about 1.1 to 1.2bar at max power.

Certainly on your engine up to 4th gear

You really should look at putting these into production, someone somewhere will surely use your idea, these things could be fabbed up for under 2K Euro, they would be a must have for all 993 turbos.

Last edited by Basal Skull; 07-13-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added gas octane, added better 60-130 times from cooler days
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 PM
sonny1
Banned

Default gt2rs intercooles!

Got this made a few months back, going to do some testing next week,I'll keep you posted, I used 3 cores,needless to say preliminary testing shows temps close to ambient.,cheers.
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:19 PM
sonny1
Banned

Default GT2RS intercoolers!

More pics.,
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Wowsers, that's using all the space available! Is the air intake from underneath/infront of the coolers or do you have a cold air intake through the cabin/backseat/window like I've seen in some race cars?
I've fitted a pre-intercooler temp gauge and if the weather holds out, might be able to get to the track next Sunday.
Considering making a version2, perhaps a back to front design like yours/protomotive/mode but need to decide if I'm going to do anything else with my motor or not first.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 PM
sonny1
Banned

Yeap,all the space front to rear, got more space on the sides thou.,enough to clear the intake hoses coming from the spoiler,air is coming from the GT2 tail side intakes,also from the Turbo S side intakes,they go directly to the turbos,thru some SS filter housings at the turbos intakes.I must say, that this cores imho are way better than anything out there,coming from the proto stuff (which is no slouch) I already feel a big difference from the seat of the pants testing! Also I must congrats you on your insight, without it, this will never had happen,cheers!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Btw you guys with the back to front type intercoolers, how does the coolers connect to the throttle body at the front? Not stock I guess? I haven't been able to picture how it's done with the bolt in the middle if it's stock.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 AM
V
Drifting

Wow, that looks really nice sonny1! I don't see how that will fit under the standard turbo tail though? . More pics and data please!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Sonny, would you happen to have any other pics showing what the bottom of the IC looks like?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been researching in prep to build a intercooler. I like what you guys have done using the gt2 core. can someone tell me the core size? 9x12x3? I'm planing a front to back core set
up with billet end tanks. First I need to get a 993 na manifold so the TB is facing the front and then fab a u turn to a v band then to end tank. should be a fun winter project
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny1
Yeap,all the space front to rear, got more space on the sides thou.,enough to clear the intake hoses coming from the spoiler,air is coming from the GT2 tail side intakes,also from the Turbo S side intakes,they go directly to the turbos,thru some SS filter housings at the turbos intakes.I must say, that this cores imho are way better than anything out there,coming from the proto stuff (which is no slouch) I already feel a big difference from the seat of the pants testing! Also I must congrats you on your insight, without it, this will never had happen,cheers!
I tried to fit the exact same core setup! I couldn't figure out how to get the outlet of the IC to the stock throttle body location. How did you do that? I ended up going with four cores that are slightly shaven to make an IC with the center channel like stock.

Quick Reply: more DIY gt2rs intercooler data