Sponsored by:

Blowing smoke on start up! HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
But did you have the oil changed during the winter?
Nope
Old 04-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

read Kevins sticky at the top of our forum titled have your turbos failed
good luck, it appears to be nothing major other than a pain in the neck.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

So....Parnelli, I recently had this problem also. Started out of the blue after no problems for the few years I have owned the car. Also had not done anything with mine in the months before it started smoking. I took mine to Matthew at Mortor Werks Racing, a porsche exclusive shop in the ATL area. Great guys and seem to do great work. He put the Turbo Craft check valves and oil lines on my car. I told him about the Mahle vs Porsche filter talk on Rennlist (even sent the thread to him) He insisted that he has never had problems with Mahle and uses them on all the racing engines (including turbos). I chose to trust his judgement and so far no issues. We'll see what happens in the long-term.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
So....Parnelli, I recently had this problem also. Started out of the blue after no problems for the few years I have owned the car. Also had not done anything with mine in the months before it started smoking. I took mine to Matthew at Mortor Werks Racing, a porsche exclusive shop in the ATL area. Great guys and seem to do great work. He put the Turbo Craft check valves and oil lines on my car. I told him about the Mahle vs Porsche filter talk on Rennlist (even sent the thread to him) He insisted that he has never had problems with Mahle and uses them on all the racing engines (including turbos). I chose to trust his judgement and so far no issues. We'll see what happens in the long-term.
The oil line check valves will hide the problem with the Mahle filters. They are an excellent idea, but so is NOT using Mahle on a TT. Do their racing turbos also use the check valves? Note that the shop uses Mahle filters, and you had the problem before they installed the check valves. I've seen way too much evidence on my own. Mahle doesn't work right on a TT.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I have a theory - and I think Kevin shared it with me. These problems creep up in the spring, when the weather warms up. Could it be that since our cars hold so much oil, the oil expands enough due to the outdoor temps to make it over full? Whereas, in the winter, it was just right?

I understand that when the engine is warm, all of that goes out the window. But the combination of warmer out door temps, oil expansion, and car sitting for a while could cause the oil to seep into the turbos.

Ever notice that the turbo leak problems start in the spring? Mine did last year. Just a thought.
The theory sounds logical, very curious what others have to say about this too.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 96PorscheTwinTurbo
Steve-

Your issue sounds exactly like what I am dealing with. I am confused, though. What exactly did they did they do to stop the smoking? What was the $$ cost of fixing it? Did u drive it to them or have it towed? Thx
Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Andreas Langhoff (2nd reg)
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ca993twin: My mechanic was working on the Porsche LeMans cars for porsche motorsport in germany in the 90s. He remembers that oil was frequenlty dripping out of the turbines when the car was in storage and that they lifted the car higher on the back to avoid it.

andreas
Old 04-15-2012, 03:17 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The oil line check valves will hide the problem with the Mahle filters. They are an excellent idea, but so is NOT using Mahle on a TT. Do their racing turbos also use the check valves? Note that the shop uses Mahle filters, and you had the problem before they installed the check valves. I've seen way too much evidence on my own. Mahle doesn't work right on a TT.
Actually, this shop had never done an oil change on my car. We just moved to Atlanta. Last time it was changed, I had it done at the Porsche dealership. I pushed them Motor Werks Racing hard on this filter issue. Not sure what to say. Will see how things go with me.

Good luck with yours, Parnelli.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

You guys are foolish allowing ANY race shop or indy for installing the Mahle (Mann, Bosch, Fram or XYZ) vs the factory Genuine Porsche filter.

Here is the problem>> buy the time you catch the oil filter problem, your turbochargers are soaked with oil. You are driving the car burning the oil which is getting cooked in the heat shield and is wearing out your turbine side sealing rings. Your turbochargers are going from a "good" status to a "WORN" status when this issue is present. The secondary effect is BURNT and UNBURNT oil flowing into your CATS. Plugging the cats> sucking the life out of them and eventually putting all the backpressure on you exhaust valves/combustion chamber.

With that said, if you have a shop that is too lazy to install Porsche filters, do the oil change yourself or take the car to another shop or Porsche dealer. If you take the car to a Porsche dealer >>be careful most will fill the engine with 0w40 engine oil which is too thin for the air-cooled engine. The piston to cylinder clearance is to large for the 0W.

Lastly, every car that has suffered this FATE needs to have a engine leakdown done. Every month I get the call about a failing 993TT, to find out that it really needs a topend overhaul. At 15% leakdown the turbochargers will push oil..
Old 04-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

OK guys, I did some digging in my files. I've had 3 oil changes in the 3 years that I've owned the car. The first two (done in 2009 and 2010) had an oil filter with part number 993-207-201-02. Last year (2011) the part number was changed to 993-107-203-03 but the invoice does not say if it was a Porsche filter or Mahle filter.
This sight below lists the SAME part number for both oil filters but the one that ends with 'OEM' is a Porsche part and the one that ends with 'M67' is a Mahle oil filter

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ENGoil_pg1.htm

Since my invoice does not list the last 3 digits and does not specifically say Porsche or Mahle, I do not know which they used. I've left a voicemail for my service rep at the Porsche dealership that did the work. I'll know more tomorrow when he calls back. Can a difference in oil fliter manufacturer really make THAT much of a difference?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

By the way, the invoice for the type of oil put in reads:

Q-1-09-0151 Mobil 1 Form
Old 04-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

One last thing

At the same time of oil change, I had had the mechanic install the Fister D mufflers. Could that have caused any issues?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Parnelli
One last thing

At the same time of oil change, I had had the mechanic install the Fister D mufflers. Could that have caused any issues?
I don't think so. If there was an issue with the install on the Fister's, it would have presented itself much sooner.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, were is the best place to purchase our oil filters in bulk? Sunset is where I usually go for OEM parts.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

There are check valves in the filters. There were (are) problems with the Mahle check valves. ther is a $10 cost difference so why risk it?

Sunset is likely the best source for OEM.

I would be surprised if your dealer used anything other than Poesche branded filters.

Quick Reply: Blowing smoke on start up! HELP please