Sponsored by:

Does anyone know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know this car?

I have been looking at this car listed on Autotrader and Pelican for awhile, and I was just wondering if any one has looked at it or knows anything about it? It has similar mods to a car I missed out on here in Vancouver a few months ago so I know a little about the GT2 turbo conversion. Does anyone know about the "Protomotive 550 kit". I looked at the car fax and it came out clean, but I think I would want to check for a rear end crash as the euro bumper was added as well as the turbo s wing. The seats look to be in not the best shape, but I would want to upgrade to sports seats anyway down the road. It's priced a little high, I think the value is closer to $65k. This car is on the other side of the country, so before I even consider looking at it would be nice to get some input.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Seller's Description and Comments
asking $72,500
1996 Porsche 993 Twin Turbo: Beautiful Midnight Blue over Marble Grey, Full supple leather with heated seats, Factory carbon interior from Porsche ( not aftermarket ) The car has many upgrades including rear bumperett delete, Factory Turbo S tail, Full H&R suspension with sway bars, Protomotive 550 kit with GT2 K/24 turbos, Gretty boost controller, 97 ECU, RS light weight flywheel with GT2 disc, sport mufflers with factory chrome oval tips. The car also has factory 6 disc CD changer with digital sound pkg. custom VDO boost gauge mounted in center console. I previously owned this car for about 6 years before selling to a good friend who bought it for his wife. I recently bought it back to add to my collection but having a new baby has changed my priorities. Car has never been tracked and although it has many performance upgrades it was never abused!!! The car has always been maintained and I have the full service records. All performance upgrades and maintenance were done at Protosport in NJ when I owned it and then my friends who I sold it to, also serviced it at Protosport. So I have never really lost touch with the car and always knew how the car was being cared for. The car is being offered with 19 RUF wheels. If you do not wish to have these wheels I can install factory 18 turbo twist s and reduce the price by $3500.00. This is truly a great car and certainly one of Porsche s best ever built!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

His name is Mike, he's a collector & Porsche guy for sure, I've dealt with him on some parts & he's a solid guy, have Protosport PPI for ya. I would go stock wheels.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

looks like a nice car with some tasteful upgrades. however the market seems to discount these type of unstock upgrades. Andrew: how did you come up with 65k? also the grey interior is also not as desirable as others. do you know if paint is all original (other than rear spoiler and bumper)?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
andrewlunka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about the paint. As you said above those and what I have heard other cars going for seems to be a fair price. If we look at Chuck's car, which I think is a better car, he was asking $67k (I think)
Positives:
low miles
nice options
Negatives
mods
interior colour.
US car
other side of the country (maybe be worth more to someone locally, and in the US)
Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, but getting it to BC is a problem - by the time you budget $1500 - $1800 to ship it to Vancouver, 6.1% duty, 3% currency exchange, brokerage fees, BC inspection fees, HST, it's more like $80,000 landed.

Here is a snap of a spreadsheet that I threw together when I was shopping in the the US - which is why I tried really hard to find a car in Canada. I set the purchase price to $64,000, and you give him $2000 cash as a deposit. The fees kill the deal for me (I can send you a copy if you want):

Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 194 Posts

Great spread sheet but you should not include HST for comparative purposes because it is not incremental....unless you tack it onto the domestic car too.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Both my domestic and US calculations are all-in, so both include HST for comparisions. I would not compare one with HST and another without, that would not make any sense.

I included HST because that is the all-in price. The reason is my original sheet had a trade-in value for both the purchase price and HST for the Targa, and since I used an intermediate broker to retain a HST tax credit from the Targa's purchaser. I also am allowing for a possible cash component that, if the purchaser elected not to claim, would not have HST applied to it. Essentially, I like to see the total outlay. If you lease then you can defer the HST, but in my case, I buy outright.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rare911s
His name is Mike, he's a collector & Porsche guy for sure, I've dealt with him on some parts & he's a solid guy, have Protosport PPI for ya. I would go stock wheels.
IIRC, he's had this turbo on and off the market the past few years

If you notice the snow in his pictures, that was from a snow storm 2-3 years ago, it's the same pictures from his previous ads

Quick Reply: Does anyone know this car?