Sponsored by:

Grundy Worldwide comes through!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:51 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grundy Worldwide comes through!

As you may recall, my 97TT was vandalized in the Bellagio parking lot on the 4th day of my ownership. The windshield, rear and passenger side window were smashed. The hood was hit once really hard with a hammer, as was the right rear fender. The spoiler was also damaged. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how.
This occurred on Sat. around noon so I couldn't called my agent until first thing Monday morning. Within an hour I was contacted by one Malissa Ipolito from Philadelphia Insurance company. I earlier said, in error, that it was Jefferson Insurance Co. that was doing the claim settlement for Grundy Worldwide. Ms. Ipolito assured me I could choose where the car would be repaired. I chose Lufteknic in Richmond, VA., a terrific Porsche only shop.

While the car was still in Las Vegas at Galiten Porsche awaiting pickup by Intercity Transport (fabulous service) an independent adjuster submitted his idea of a repair estimate. He called me on Wed night and emailed a copy. I was unhappy with the estimate
but I received a call from Ms. Ipolito the following morning who stated in no uncertain terms that when the car was delivered to Lufteknic another adjuster would meet with them and write up another estimate. While this estimate was twice as much as the first guy's, it still didn't allow for replacing the hood (the consensus advice from you guys) and the hours were too low. I asked the shop to prepare a detailed estimate to do the repair as they saw fit, including the hood replacement, and to fax same to Ms. Ipolito and me. She received the estimate on Wed afternoon and it was approved immediately without any adjustment.

While it was 2 months to the day from the occurrence to the approval, much of the delay was my doing. In short (a bit late to say that) I could not be more pleased with Grundy Worldwide agreed value collector car insurance. I don't see how they could have done a better job. Now if Lufteknic can do as well by my car as Schneiders Auto Haus did I'll be a happy camper...from what I saw of their work it appears to be a certainty.

As a final thought. After seeing the prices of Porsche parts I've decided we should not ever sell our cars but should part them out instead.....Chris
Old 12-05-2011, 08:21 PM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did Grundy cover the shipping cost to VA?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

They did not. The decision to ship it back east was mine. I had intended to do so from Teluride prior to the incident. There were several great repair facilities in CA but I wanted the car nearer.....Chris
Old 12-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

glad to hear that it worked out.
did you get to keep the hood?
did Belaigio care? I would think that although they are not responsible they would not want the bad word going around about parking there. at least they should offer to cover the deductible.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Danny, I suppose I could keep the hood. Lufteknic is taking lots of photos and the police report has them as well. I guess I could stuff it somewhere in my tool shed....I definitely don't want to look at it every day in my garage. I was treated very well by the Bellagio security people, who are real pros. Did I mention they were really BIG. I didn't expect a call from Steve Wynn, but my room rate was reduced by $100 a night. I think what was a disaster to me was barely a blip on their radar. The policy I have is zero deductible. Time to move on. The car is in good hands....Though not mine. Cheers.....Chris

Quick Reply: Grundy Worldwide comes through!