Sponsored by:

Dyno of 700+whp Protomotive/Kelly Moss build

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dyno of 700+whp Protomotive/Kelly Moss build

Many thanks to Todd at Protomotive and the guys at Kelly Moss for rebuilding and retuning the engine on my 993tt. The engine has much more power under the curve and will be great for the track.
The engine is now sporting Tial Alpha 28 turbos, meth/water injection, a new bottom end, and a Protomotive exhaust system (thanks vincentdds!).
It will be going back later for more tuning as the current setup is limited by not enough fuel from the fuel pump and the clutch slipping (we're rushing to get the car on track before winter sets in).
The max the engine produced was 705rwhp/710rwtq which will be improved with the new pump and clutch.
Here's the conservative dyno runs. The new setup is the solid lines, old setup the dashed lines.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Looks like you'll need to change your signature soon... Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

niiiiiiiice. my favorite car and my favorite tuner ....
Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You hear a lot of good stuff about Kelly Moss.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

that's pretty impressive, you're going to enjoy going to the track. It's always more fun when you have more hp than anyone else on the track!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldnt know what to do with that kind of power! WOW!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Good to see your car back in shape Brad. You seem to have finally followed the right approach and rebuilding the whole thing from scratch for a well balanced package, I am sure it was expensive but will be worth it in the long run.

The difference between before and after is huge, I don't recall what turbos you had before but these GT28 seem to be an excellent size for this application in view of the overall torque band. Back in the day Jussi used them on his monster engine and I was inclined to do the same for street drivability but Todd thought they would not flow sufficiently/efficiently at the top end..

I honestly am skeptical about these peak numbers, but without more information about the turbo sizing, boost levels, intake, cam changes and compression used I won't comment.

What have you done to your car otherwise at Kelly Moss, any track specific modifications? Did you go lightweight?

Post some more pictures of your car and the engine bay!!
Congrats.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:32 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I am interested in how long these engines last at this power level. Lets pretend it is 700hp at the flywheel not the wheels.

Porsche used the big Secan and tried various oil cooling solutions to keep temperatures in the green and the Motronic boost controlled cars could adjust their boost to vary the power (ie reduce it) if the temperatures got too hot. Even with all the factory strategy the engines needed expensive rebuilds at 20 hours due to the heat (mostly I think ?) with oval cylinders and warped heads being the consequence of this much power through this type of engine.

I understand that on these fixed boost motors the ECU cannot reduce the boost so if anything the engine will be even more vunerable to track hours. I believe Jean used to run with less noost ~1 bar and around 600hp at the track and experienced good longevity at this level ?

Have there been any big advances ? Do these new blowers deliver must less heat into the motor ?
I understand that for a street/drag motor this engine will do the business but it is for the track so what are the new tricks to keep 700hp pumping for a good while in a 993tt ?
BTW congrats and thanks for sharing
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
that's pretty impressive, you're going to enjoy going to the track. It's always more fun when you have more hp than anyone else on the track!
I think its waaay more fun when you have a lot less HP and are faster than the guys who think they're fast bc their car has a lot of HP. The track isnt about drag racing down the straights.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:27 AM
biiig-hp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I am interested in how long these engines last at this power level. Lets pretend it is 700hp at the flywheel not the wheels.

Have there been any big advances ? Do these new blowers deliver must less heat into the motor ?
I understand that for a street/drag motor this engine will do the business but it is for the track so what are the new tricks to keep 700hp pumping for a good while in a 993tt ?
BTW congrats and thanks for sharing
good question on longevity. I never let mine go above 55c on the intake temp and it's been going strong on the track. I run no more than .9 bar with garrett gt30's and it does make over 700@ flywheel at that boost level. I run up to 1.2 on the street and it's just insane at that boost. I don't think that anyone that's been around big power porsche motors would argue with you, Heat kills these motors. I don't know how Todd is doing it on his builds but I'm sure it's in the tuning with modern turbos and lower boost than they used 15 years ago. thats how we did it on mine.

as for any big advancements, that meth injection has come a loooong way in the past few years. I know of one very good friend of mine running it on his 965 and I cant believe how well it works. I'm considering trying it to keep the temp down. I don't see it as a system that any factory would use in pro racing but for what most of us that just use our cars as DE cars or some weekend racing, I cant see why not?

Last edited by biiig-hp; 09-28-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be at least 250hp too much for me.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

wow, love how quickly those alpha series turbos spool. hope you got your pistons ziebart'd...all that meth is going to rust your engine into a cube
Old 09-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to see everything finally worked out Brad!

Is the car still with Todd? Have him log your IAT's with the water/meth so you can show everyone your delta to redline Better hurry up before your engine rusts away!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the kind comments and great observations. The car will be running hard at road america in about 48 hours so I'll have more information on how this setup performs. Will order a Davtron unit to measure IAT's asap. Still running the same suspension just w/ more toe in up front as the car apparently was too darty.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Acropora
The car will be running hard at road america in about 48 hours so I'll have more information on how this setup performs.
What's going on at Road America this weekend? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Dyno of 700+whp Protomotive/Kelly Moss build