Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Balancing with Spacers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

To answer your questions, wheels are balanced without the spacers.
If you have vibrations at 65 mph or above, in my opinion it is coming from the rear not the front.
When you remove the rear wheels to balance them, unmount the spacers and with a steal brush, steal brush clean the disk hats very well, around the bolts. Mount the spacers, and check the spacer surface.
Are these spacers new or used ?
another question, where the wheels refurbished before you installed them or not?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:58 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
To answer your questions, wheels are balanced without the spacers.
If you have vibrations at 65 mph or above, in my opinion it is coming from the rear not the front.
When you remove the rear wheels to balance them, unmount the spacers and with a steal brush, steal brush clean the disk hats very well, around the bolts. Mount the spacers, and check the spacer surface.
Are these spacers new or used ?
another question, where the wheels refurbished before you installed them or not?
I had the wheels road force balanced today and they found the two rear wheels needed weight -1oz on one and 1/2 oz on the other.

The spacers are new from RUF and the wheels and rubber only have 1000 miles on them. They have not been refurbished.

I pulled the spacers on Sunday to be sure everything was clean. As it turns out, the PO had new rotors put on the car then only put 800 miles on them. After the remount I checked to be sure they were sitting flat to the disk.

We're due for rain for the next several days so I won't get a chance to test the new balancing until Saturday. Man I miss San Diego

Thanks for the feedback. I'll post my findings as soon as I get a chance to test it.

Scott.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott, good job. That will make a huge difference. Kuddos for not driving in the rain too. Porsche owners that do that are nutty!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Default Control Arm Bushings?

Got the car out today and found the vibration to be better, but still there. I guess the next step is to replace the control arm bushings as was suggested in prior posts. Is there a way to see if they're going/gone before I spend the time and effort to have them replaced?

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

I am sorry to hear that, but I am still convinced it is from the back.
If you have a chance, go back to the wheel shop, and let them check one of the rears, if it is out of balance, you have the answer
A car that does not vibrate, and vibrates when you change wheels, the vibration source is no where else.
here is one of my experiences
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...light=blasting
regards
Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Default Control Arm Bushings Replaced

I wanted to update this thread and let people know it was the control arm bushing that was the problem. I had them replaced last week with Walrod bushings and it was immediately apparent that was where the steering wheel shake was coming from. The car is now perfectly smooth just as it was prior to mounting the heavier RUFs.

I also installed PSS10s and had the car lowered to ROW ride height as per 911Pervy's request...
Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Please lower your car!!
I have them set to 6 front and 4 rear and I'm very happy with the ride. I have no intention on tracking the car so the PSS10s seemed like the right choice for me.

Thanks for all the help. Sorry it took so long to take the advice I was looking for and actually apply it. At 50 I don't move nearly as fast as I used to... except in the tt.

A couple of pictures:

Some other German hardware:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

Told ya the wheels were perfect when they were on my car
Old 08-01-2012, 11:31 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

That's a pretty car!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 PM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Onami
Told ya the wheels were perfect when they were on my car
No, I won't sell them back to you when you finally get your tt. What's the status of the one you were looking at? Has the seller returned from vacation?

Originally Posted by Overdraft
That's a pretty car!
It's considerably smoother now then when you drove it. Sorry we missed you Tuesday.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

I regret selling the wheels more than either of my 993's! Yes, the seller returned and finally agreed to a Leakdown test...IF...I paid for the car in full first! Absolutely crazy. So I have passed and found a mint '98 C4S with 22,000 miles that I have a deal on. Just waiting for the seller to correct a typo in the VIN ("o' instead of "0") before I schedule the PPI. That should carry me over until I find the right TT.

Your car looks great!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Just curious Scott how many km's are on your car?

Probably looking to change out my bushings maybe next year too.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 AM
sblaylock
Advanced

Originally Posted by Onami
...Yes, the seller returned and finally agreed to a Leakdown test...IF...I paid for the car in full first! Absolutely crazy...
That's seems very odd, but as you said he was pretty ****. Glad to hear you're back into a car though.

Originally Posted by Knight
Just curious Scott how many km's are on your car? Probably looking to change out my bushings maybe next year too.
I bought the car with 16k miles a year ago and it now has 20k. I noticed the vibration as soon as I put the RUFs on, which was last September and I maybe had 17k. I bought a set of the bushings from Chris with the intention of putting them in myself last winter, but decided to wait until I did the suspension. With the shop charging me straight time I decided to buy the already completed arms instead, so I have a set of new unused bushing here if you want them. PM me as I'm heading to Vancouver tomorrow and can hand them directly to you.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Just wanted to give a "thanks" out to Scott, who met up with me yesterday and gave me the CW bushings!

Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Wheel Balancing with Spacers.