Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a 1989 BTR in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
ctr2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, Ruf made only 20-30 Ruf Vin cars per year as opposed to an unlimited number of conversions. A Vin car could be be double the price versus a conversion, even one converted by the factory. If you have the finances, buy the Ruf Vin cars. Remember, they all start with W09.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
964speed
Pro

Jason Gianetti his a factory Porsche / Ferrari and Lambo guy... worked for all of the majors

He is a great porsche guy!

516 398 2016

He is local to the car... Long Island based. He would probably go with you to look a the car...

Good luck !
Old 08-15-2011, 03:21 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like a great car to me.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:04 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctr2
Noparking, Are you looking for a Ruf Vin BTR or a conversion, big difference in price and collectibility.
Originally Posted by ctr2
Just a thought, Ruf made only 20-30 Ruf Vin cars per year as opposed to an unlimited number of conversions. A Vin car could be be double the price versus a conversion, even one converted by the factory. If you have the finances, buy the Ruf Vin cars. Remember, they all start with W09.
Don't believe the hype

Value of any documented Ruf car whether its Ruf VIN or Porsche VIN is dictated by what the market supports for each particular Ruf car on the market because no 2 Ruf cars are built exactly the same

Before Ruf received manufacture status, all Ruf cars were conversions

And after Ruf received manufacture status, along with Ruf VIN cars, Ruf still converted Porsche VIN cars into Ruf cars because there were times Ruf simply couldn't get "bodies-in-white" from Porsche
Old 08-16-2011, 01:04 AM
ctr2
Instructor

Not Hype, just fact. With W09 vin cars you don't need to carry a portfolio in the glove compartment documenting and authenticating your car's pedigree. The chassis number speaks for itself. My point was that there are many, many more conversions out there than W09 vin cars, and if you have the funds, find a Ruf Vin car.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:15 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by noparking
I went out and looked at the car yesterday, seller seems like a decent guy. It's definitely a conversion and not a RUF VIN car. Research points to it having been converted at Exclusive in NJ shortly after purchase. The was clearly driven by it's previous owners and there is definitely some respray on the front fenders (a little scary), but no apparent metal work. It started up quickly and ran well. Everything works but the A/C. Seller seems open to negotiation on price (asking $65k). I'm looking for a car that I can drive on the weekends first. Collectibility is secondary, but certainly a consideration. I'm a little concerned that I'm looking at the bottom of the RUF range and might be better off looking at nicer factory cars. Any thoughts?
The question to as yourself is "what can I live with". A light respray is very common ( road chips are a killer on these cars ). A ppi is a must, plus metering the paint. The car is an 89 ( 5 speed ) so that alone is a boost in the 930 range ( for some anyway ). The miles are low. The RUF add on's are a plus. IMO if all passes and you can get it in the low to mid $50k's it would be a fair deal. Not the "deal of the day" but a fair one. The base work is there for a great car. If my budget allowed me to...I would certainly pursue this car.

Happy hunting...
Old 08-16-2011, 11:09 AM
marin77
Racer

When looking at RUF VIN or RUF conversion cars for that model, 89 vs pre-89 is not as much a consideration as they will all have the RUF 5 or even 6-speed gearbox. It is still nice to have last year of production.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 PM
noparking
7th Gear

Thanks so much for all your advice. I've decided to pass on the car and hold out for a RUF VIN example. I found nothing wrong with it, but it just didn't feel right to me. The seller was open to a ppi at the location of my choice. I'll keep everyone updated as I continue my hunt! If anyone has specific questions about that car please let me know.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
marin77
Racer

Good luck with the search ... sending you a pm re RUF cars search.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:17 PM
ctr2
Instructor

Anybody hear from "noparking" ? Or did he fall off the face of the earth ? If he's still around, I hope he found what he was looking for .

Quick Reply: Help with a 1989 BTR in NYC