Sponsored by:

Pulling trigger on 993tt purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 AM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Sweet. And it's a cab. It this one of the 17 or so 993 Turbo cabs that were built?
Not to mention the listing *perfectly spells out* that that thing is a heavily modified "REPLICA race car" (whatever that means)

That example pretty much proves that a truly clean, well optioned, stock 993TT with low miles should *easily* fetch 70.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:20 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

I am starting to agree with you guys, When I bought my TT about 18 months ago the prices did seem more depressed than now. I just searched the sites for a car that makes my point and I couldn't find one.

I can admit it when I am wrong.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:33 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by UserA
I am starting to agree with you guys, When I bought my TT about 18 months ago the prices did seem more depressed than now. I just searched the sites for a car that makes my point and I couldn't find one.

I can admit it when I am wrong.
This is a very good thing. You just made a few grand on paper.

BIG props to you for your post above.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
dr jim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's what mine needed...

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I have been lurking here for some time. I was trying to decide between a 993tt and a 997 gt3 .2 . After driving a GT3 I have decided it is too track oriented for my tastes. It produces the best sounds on the run up to redline that I have ever heard, but I admire the restraint that anyone would need to drive one on the street and keep their permit. I have found a 97 993tt with 22,000 miles, silver with supple black, stock but for ss mufflers, ECU upgrade. Rear bumper repaint but no metal work ever. Assuming a good PPI I have two questions: What's a fair price? And second: Other than ROW springs and new shocks....what does it need? I may do a de or two but otherwise street use for 10,000 miles per yr. This is the best place on the planet to ask such a question. Cheers.......Chris
Chris - I purchased a low mileage (25K) '97 993tt last year, and here's the maintenance items I found were required (due more to age than mileage):

30,000 mile service (e.g., replace fluids, filters, plugs, etc...)

Bilstein PSS10 suspension system. The OE shocks were worn out, and the original owner had installed H&R springs which were much too low (the mufflers scraped on the base of my driveway, which is NOT steeply sloped), and stiff.

New Intercooler hoses. The original hoses were starting to go. Plus, I found that I needed to use Breeze clamps. The OE clamps were a bit sketchy, with a tendency to pop off the top right (passenger side) hose under high boost.

New lower valve covers (the originals were warped and leaking oil). I went with aluminum covers although there is some debate, on this site, whether the OEM plastic covers are better than the aluminum ones in terms of limiting heat transfer to the valves. I felt the aluminum ones were better, but your experience may vary...

New clutch slave cylinder and accumulator. The originals were starting to go. You can tell if this is a problem, in your car, if a lot of pressure is required to operate the clutch pedal when the car is NOT running, and has been shut down for a while (anywhere from a few minutes to a few days).

That's all I can think of, if I remember anything else I will post it.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

An excellent 22k mile car would be in the $85K minimum to $90K range here in Toronto.....that's just shy of $100k USD! My low mileage car needed valve cover gaskets and a new slave/accumulator but that's it. Suspension is fine now but I'll go the PSS10 route in time.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 AM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the great info. I will no doubt overpay ( a habit of mine) but I hope to get a wonderful car, and how else am I going to learn the secret handshake? I hope to be driving it to Pittsburg this coming week. I will be the guy with the smile only surgery could remove.......Chris

Quick Reply: Pulling trigger on 993tt purchase