993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993TT to Gallardo

Old 06-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

hmm, i'm actually surprised there isn't more "rah rah" 993 in this thread, and that is causing me to really think about this more seriously. Insurance isn't much different. Finding a 6-speed manual car will take some time though...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

like I said when you get your Gallardo - bring it on down to one of the track days my friends & I put on. I'd love to take you for a ride in my car, let you drive it. etc. It will change your opinion of the 993tt, you may not like it more than the G, but from a performance perspective, it will not dissappoint.

The '06 Gallardo makes about 375lb/ft of torque, my car makes about 520lb/ft. Torque for me is where you feel the hp. I am a boost addict.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DM993tt
But what you find at track days is an amazing inverse relationship with respect to the price of the car and skill of the driver. My point is, that you can set up the 993tt well and once you learn how to drive it, the car is extremely rewarding to drive and can hold its own in lesser drivers in almost anything out there today on a road course.
Have to agree with you mate. Porsche drivers tend to be real enthusiasts. Lambo and Ferrari drivers are (for the most part) just poseurs. But there are a few of us that moved from Porsche's and are hard core trackies. Thats why I bought the SL and not a standard G.

Originally Posted by DM993tt
Hoosier R6 275f 315r wrapped on BBS e88s
Ah ha.... I've just found almost 4 secs there alone on a 5km track... I'm almost 100 percent certain the SL was on P Zero Corsa's. As you have said most Lambo owners are honestly posers and couldn't drive themselves out of a multi storey car park. I run all my track cars with R6s... and my Lambo sees the track more than it does public roads or valets- and I am the only guy in the Lambo forum that uses Hoosier R6's on my G- though I know of one other hard core SL trackie there that will also be moving to Hoosiers and tracks in the US. The rest of them don't even get to the track (14 odd track days per year).

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
You are right, I did get a bit off topic. But anyway, a Gallardo in every way is better than a 993TT. 993TT is classic in design but as a driver it does not compare.
Haha no worries mate was just taking a dig at you.

To the original poster:
You can't go wrong with either car. But I think the key is what purpose is the car to be used for. If show boating, the Lambo is better. For pure driving pleasure, both are so different that only you can decide.

For retention of value the 993TT hands down. For building a good group of car enthusiast friends around your car and hanging with them, the 993TT as the owners will always be far more enthusiasts than the Lambo which are more concerned with what watch they are going to buy next.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 993tt as my daily driver and a Ferrari 360 Modena coupe as my fun car. They are TOTALLY different in every way!!! Both amazing and both put smiles from ear to ear.

The Gallardo is on my short list when I replace the 360 in a few years. I drove both and like the ride of the 360 a bit better. Both are amazing but the Ferrari seamed a bit more refined then the raw beast that is the Gallardo.

Don't let the operating costs scare you. If you can afford to get in, you can afford to stay in. Clutch changes for a manual are infrequent and oil changes are easily accessed. No engine out or any of that stuff.

Be prepared to REALLY watch your speed and be prepared to have EVERYONE constantly looking at your car, ALL THE TIME!!! In my 993tt I get the 40 and over crowd asking me about the car and complementing me. 3 year olds will stare longingly at that Gallardo and teenagers will think your a rock-star. Not good or bad, just be aware. There is no radar you go under, even in a "subdued color".

A stock 993tt and a modified 993tt are not really even the same car, so they are not comparable. My guy at Protosport could easily give me a 900 HP track superstar if I wanted to put the money into her; totally transform into an Italian eating German monster! But the value would drop into the gutter and I would never see that money back. And to be totally honest, the ride of the '97 993tt is already a bit rough. I can't even imagine what stiffening up that suspension would be like!!!

To me, the magic of the 993tt is it's absolutely stunning looks and lines. Truly one of the most beautiful cars to ever be produced; and it's classic air cooled Porsche 911 performance. But in this day (2011), in stock form, it's not the super-performer it was in the ninety's.

All that said, If I had to sell one, it'd be the 993tt. The Italian exotic drives like no other.

I'd say go for it, and enjoy!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ agree with all of that.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

And to be totally honest, the ride of the '97 993tt is already a bit rough. I can't even imagine what stiffening up that suspension would be like!!!
Have you ever driven a 993 properly lowered with GT2 uprights and tie rods?

It's nuts that we are comparing 14 year old cars to nearly new Italian exotics in the same breath at all.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

My 360 Modena is a '99....

And no I have not driven a 993 properly lowered with GT2 uprights and tie rods?
If I can improve handling and soften my ride at the same time, I'm ALL over it!!!
:-)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:15 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I've driven modded 993tt's...they are awesome...truly thrilling...but totally different than an Italian exotic.

I love my Porsche...and I love my Ferrari...if you are even thinking of it...you should do it. If you truly loved the 993 you wouldn't even consider the gallardo. So go for it...enjoy it...you can always get another 911 if you want it down the road.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven Scott Mellor's heavily modified 993TT. It is much more compliant than Rufus, and seems to handle beautifully (though his constant crying prevented me from giving it a thorough road test). RS uprights seem to be a great proposition.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 AM
parsonii
Racer

Originally Posted by mattnshilp
I have a 993tt as my daily driver and a Ferrari 360 Modena coupe as my fun car. They are TOTALLY different in every way!!! Both amazing and both put smiles from ear to ear.

The Gallardo is on my short list when I replace the 360 in a few years. I drove both and like the ride of the 360 a bit better. Both are amazing but the Ferrari seamed a bit more refined then the raw beast that is the Gallardo.

Don't let the operating costs scare you. If you can afford to get in, you can afford to stay in. Clutch changes for a manual are infrequent and oil changes are easily accessed. No engine out or any of that stuff.

Be prepared to REALLY watch your speed and be prepared to have EVERYONE constantly looking at your car, ALL THE TIME!!! In my 993tt I get the 40 and over crowd asking me about the car and complementing me. 3 year olds will stare longingly at that Gallardo and teenagers will think your a rock-star. Not good or bad, just be aware. There is no radar you go under, even in a "subdued color".

A stock 993tt and a modified 993tt are not really even the same car, so they are not comparable. My guy at Protosport could easily give me a 900 HP track superstar if I wanted to put the money into her; totally transform into an Italian eating German monster! But the value would drop into the gutter and I would never see that money back. And to be totally honest, the ride of the '97 993tt is already a bit rough. I can't even imagine what stiffening up that suspension would be like!!!

To me, the magic of the 993tt is it's absolutely stunning looks and lines. Truly one of the most beautiful cars to ever be produced; and it's classic air cooled Porsche 911 performance. But in this day (2011), in stock form, it's not the super-performer it was in the ninety's.

All that said, If I had to sell one, it'd be the 993tt. The Italian exotic drives like no other.

I'd say go for it, and enjoy!
how perfectly well put .... " the magic ... the absolutely stunning looks and lines."

so you would have something that looks kinda like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

instead of something that looks like this:

Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 AM
adamvandenbos
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi R8

My thought if you want the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 engine, with AWD and quality interior; with lower cost. Audi R8 is the way to go. This my choice, but im also keeping my 993tt
Name:  Razor PPI.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  146.9 KB
Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Good input guys. The r8 v10s seem to hold value better than the g and I don't love the back of the r8.

I'm not sure I would enjoy this much attention although I'm thinking it may not be so bad in my area...especially in black or dark grey
Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 AM
msw
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 14 Posts

imo...side mirrors on r8 are hideous
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold
And at full throttle.... well if you like the sound of F1 cars, this will make you wet your pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNr7NaHjWUk

If you can only take one, I would give up the 993 in a heart beat for the G.
WOW!!!!!!!!
GREAT PIPES
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, i'm actually surprised there isn't more "rah rah" 993 in this thread,
perhaps because most of us are mature enough to recognize reality?
993 Turbo = fantastic cars, 'specially once modified.
Modern Gallardo's?
Seem pretty special.

Make mine Ithaca Verde please.

Craig
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993TT to Gallardo