Sponsored by:

993TT Power Steering and Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 993TT Power Steering and Brake Upgrades

My 993TT power steering upgrade courtesy of Rennline pedals and brake upgrade courtesy of Paul Faieta of Protosport in NJ-997GT3RSR Cup brakes fit to 996GT2 front wheels and 996Turbo rear wheels:
Attached Images     
Old 05-21-2011, 07:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Low & mean. Looks nice!
Old 05-21-2011, 09:11 PM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Great car, BIG brakes.
Are the brakes for the track or just to match big stopping with the big HP?

How much fabrication was required? I recall Simon "Full Boost" put Cup brakes on his GT2 replica and he spoke of significant unique fabrication for the fronts.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malcolmd
Wow. Great car, BIG brakes.
Are the brakes for the track or just to match big stopping with the big HP?

How much fabrication was required? I recall Simon "Full Boost" put Cup brakes on his GT2 replica and he spoke of significant unique fabrication for the fronts.
For both big HP on road and track. Before I had a Brembo clubsport brake package with Pagid blacks and with the car weighing 3500+lbs. in full-leather/carpeted factory street trim, and at Watkins Glen, the setup was excellent at consistently bringing the car down from high speeds, but I found the rotors lasted no more than four or five weekends-and last year, I even melted the calipers down in DE events. I can get the car up to the rev limiter in fifth gear on the back straight at 160mph, and getting all that mass slowed down in all 11 turns there simply ate up rotors.

I ran this new setup at the Glen the last two weekends, and they were solid with GT3 brake ducts we also added to the 993TTS factory ducts, with no hint of wear or heat effects.

AFAIK, no special fabrication was needed to fit the brakes in front-our only obstacle was that the factory hollow 996Turbo twist wheels I use on the car did not clear the large front calipers, so I am using 996GT2 front rims (solid spoke wheels have an ever so slightly larger inside diameter versus the hollow spokes).
Old 05-26-2011, 03:00 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
My 993TT power steering upgrade courtesy of Rennline pedals and brake upgrade courtesy of Paul Faieta of Protosport in NJ-997GT3RSR Cup brakes fit to 996GT2 front wheels and 996Turbo rear wheels:
The brakes look to be just about as big as possible for 18's on a 993. By "997GT3RSR Cup" do you mean they're off a 997 Cup? I'm not clear on what it means to fit a 996 GT2 front and Turbo rear ... or is that a reference to the wheel offsets, too?

Also, are those factory 997 Cup rotors? Maybe that explains the calipers are 996 GT2 front and 996 Turbo rears to match the rotor sizes and offsets?

I am keen to upgrade the brakes on my 993 Turbo (now GT2-ish) without a lot of trial and error.

Also, I don't see any reference to the "power steering upgrade." Did you swap to a 993 manual rack? (that's something else I have planned.)
Old 05-26-2011, 03:20 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock 993TT rims do not have sufficient internal diameter to "clear" the larger front caliper. I assume that the GT2 rims do. Hence the change. This would be my interpretation.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malcolmd
Stock 993TT rims do not have sufficient internal diameter to "clear" the larger front caliper. I assume that the GT2 rims do. Hence the change. This would be my interpretation.
Correct, the wheels are 996GT2 fronts which have a slightly larger internal diameter versus the 996TurboTwist fronts (the wheels I had been using since the power upgrade) which are hollow-spoke and thus "thicker" (with a relatively smaller internal diameter even though they are both 18" wheels) versus the 996GT2 wheels which are solid-spoke, so the 996GT2 front wheels can clear the large 997GT3RSR Cup car calipers whereas the 996Turbo wheels could not. Since the Cup car rear calipers are relatively small, I can still fit the 996Turbo rear wheels without issue.

As stated above, actually, I haven't used the 993TT factory Turbo Twist wheels since I upgraded the car with Protosport, and if anybody wants to purchase them from me, feel free to PM me.

Sorry for the confusion Carrera GT, yes, the brakes are the Porsche 997GT3RSR Cup car brakes made by Brembo-they recommended them when the Brembo Clubsport brakes they supplied couldn't handle the thrashing at the Glen. They are the Cup car brake rotors/hats/calipers/pads/fluids.

They are NOT the 996GT2/Turbo calipers (the 996GT2 and 996Turbo references are to the wheels-which BTW I use without changing the offsets) but the Cup car calipers which in front are indeed huge.

The 993TT "power steering" upgrade was sarcasm-I simply modded the throttle pedal from Rennline for easier heel-toe action, and since we can "throttle steer" the car, well, with 650-700HP on tap....
Old 07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Correct, the wheels are 996GT2 fronts which have a slightly larger internal diameter versus the 996TurboTwist fronts (the wheels I had been using since the power upgrade) which are hollow-spoke and thus "thicker" (with a relatively smaller internal diameter even though they are both 18" wheels) versus the 996GT2 wheels which are solid-spoke, so the 996GT2 front wheels can clear the large 997GT3RSR Cup car calipers whereas the 996Turbo wheels could not. Since the Cup car rear calipers are relatively small, I can still fit the 996Turbo rear wheels without issue.

As stated above, actually, I haven't used the 993TT factory Turbo Twist wheels since I upgraded the car with Protosport, and if anybody wants to purchase them from me, feel free to PM me.

Sorry for the confusion Carrera GT, yes, the brakes are the Porsche 997GT3RSR Cup car brakes made by Brembo-they recommended them when the Brembo Clubsport brakes they supplied couldn't handle the thrashing at the Glen. They are the Cup car brake rotors/hats/calipers/pads/fluids.

They are NOT the 996GT2/Turbo calipers (the 996GT2 and 996Turbo references are to the wheels-which BTW I use without changing the offsets) but the Cup car calipers which in front are indeed huge.

The 993TT "power steering" upgrade was sarcasm-I simply modded the throttle pedal from Rennline for easier heel-toe action, and since we can "throttle steer" the car, well, with 650-700HP on tap....
I noticed your pics thread and it took me a while to go searching and do a CPR thread revival on this brakes topic -- how are those brakes holding up? Assuming no problems, I'd like to do the same upgrade, so if it's reasonably convenient, please post whatever part numbers and tips on the install. Hopefully it doesn't require major surgery, just a spacer block and some brake lines. I'm always the optimist when it comes to these things. I'll DIY it, and I expect I'll need to figure out replacement wheels to clear the front calipers. I'm hoping I can source a one-piece forged wheel in 18's.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I noticed your pics thread and it took me a while to go searching and do a CPR thread revival on this brakes topic -- how are those brakes holding up? Assuming no problems, I'd like to do the same upgrade, so if it's reasonably convenient, please post whatever part numbers and tips on the install. Hopefully it doesn't require major surgery, just a spacer block and some brake lines. I'm always the optimist when it comes to these things. I'll DIY it, and I expect I'll need to figure out replacement wheels to clear the front calipers. I'm hoping I can source a one-piece forged wheel in 18's.
The brakes have been excellent, no fade, no pedal loss (using Castrol SRF), the rotors last an entire season of track use (15-20 days), I use Hawk pads (DTC-60's up front, DTC-30's in back per Brembo's recommendation for medium pad hardness), albeit I do go through 3 sets of front pads a season.

I order the replacement rotors from Brembo, but the rest of the hardware is unchanged since the new setup. Don't ask about price.

You will have to ask Brembo about availability of the conversion since I got the setup through Protosport as I didn't contact Brembo directly, and I don't know if any other hardware is needed for the conversion. Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The brakes have been excellent, no fade, no pedal loss (using Castrol SRF), the rotors last an entire season of track use (15-20 days), I use Hawk pads (DTC-60's up front, DTC-30's in back per Brembo's recommendation for medium pad hardness), albeit I do go through 3 sets of front pads a season.

I order the replacement rotors from Brembo, but the rest of the hardware is unchanged since the new setup. Don't ask about price.

You will have to ask Brembo about availability of the conversion since I got the setup through Protosport as I didn't contact Brembo directly, and I don't know if any other hardware is needed for the conversion. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

Surely the friction disk isn't too expensive?
I've seen kit prices on the 6 pot fronts (about $4000 with rotors) and not much cheaper for the four pot rears (crazy money compared to much more complex Brembo hardware targeting Vettes, but there's Porsche tax.)
Hawks instead of Pagid is surprising. Wear is on the high side, but stopping 3000lbs+ of 700hp makes for ferocious heat equations. A similar setup with PFCs on the 997 RS seems to be less expensive all round. I wonder if PFC makes something for "old" cars like the 993 ... : )
One thing I remember about the Brembo GT caliper/rotor with Pagids running slicks was the "halt the rotation of the Earth" performance.
I guess I'll compare with Endless and Performance Friction and see what's new, but if I can justify the cost, those Brembos are still the most impressive thing I've seen on a 993.

Quick Reply: 993TT Power Steering and Brake Upgrades