Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Porsche tuner in North America?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one Jean. It was one of the three that came with blackie.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Andial motor (ex. 911/Q45) has the FVD ecu. From what I have gathered (bb993tt or ScottMellor may know better), the later builds that Andial did came with the FVD ecus rather than the Thielert dual setup.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:51 PM
DV 993tt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bradford.

That's my ecu!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DV 993tt
Hey Bradford.

That's my ecu!!!
Cool, what are the specs on your engine?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
DV 993tt
Instructor

3.8, Carillo rods, GT2 cams, heads worked over by Neil Harvey of Performance Developments, and Kevin's stage 4 turbos.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
DV 993tt
Instructor

Scott

When are you gong to make more Ruf bumpers? I really want a set for my car!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SSTAR
My Andial motor (ex. 911/Q45) has the FVD ecu. From what I have gathered (bb993tt or ScottMellor may know better), the later builds that Andial did came with the FVD ecus rather than the Thielert dual setup.
I believe that's right. The later builds came with only the fvd units after Thielert stopped providing support. The early ones came with only the Thielert units. Early owners could opt to buy the fvd unit as well. As Jimmy had a big problem saying the word "NO" to Dieter, he ended up with three ecu's - OEM (stock), Thielert and fvd. All three came to me in the purchase.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Thanks! I don't know if there are any other (twin-plug) based on the FVD ECU, Don's was single plug if I recall correctly.

Most likely they flew over the programming guy to the US and did onsite the tuning. I have not seen any solid performance numbers yet from this setup. I am considering going this way as well as an alternative tune, but do not want to compromise on performance.

It is puzzling that no US tuner has been able to tune the Motronic for a twin plug setup with ECU controlled boost...Whereas thre are quite a few in Europe.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
Thanks! I don't know if there are any other (twin-plug) based on the FVD ECU, Don's was single plug if I recall correctly.

Most likely they flew over the programming guy to the US and did onsite the tuning. I have not seen any solid performance numbers yet from this setup. I am considering going this way as well as an alternative tune, but do not want to compromise on performance.

It is puzzling that no US tuner has been able to tune the Motronic for a twin plug setup with ECU controlled boost...Whereas thre are quite a few in Europe.
Interesting. Is there already a thread somewhere discussing the Euro tuners?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

how about mode/Bob Holcombe?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
V
Drifting

Default Thanks

First of all thanks for all the great feedback. This is turning out to be an interesting thread .

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Other than Ruf and Andial, I've not seen a 993 Turbo "get back" more than pennies on the dollar for even top shelf work. I think that's just the way of the market. Even if you spend a $1 on factory options, you're lucky to get back a quarter or even a dime.
I know but it's odd isn't it? I'm not meaning to discuss resale value because that has been beaten to death but it's interesting to see what makes a tuner/manufacturer gain "premium status". I guess Andial back in the day was the "Exclusive department" branch in North America.

V - Andial's out of the "regular" tuning business now. By that I mean that unless you're someone like porschemeister or a repeat customer, it would be difficult to get them to build you a motor. They will continue to service all motors already built and are still very much in the parts business, however.
Hi B. Oh, that's a shame. From Andial's homepage: "It was then fitting that PMNA would use the ANDIAL facility for their expansion and ANDIAL would move to a smaller place in Fountain Valley (a mile away) and forgo the daily service business in favor of concentrating on their specialties. Special engine projects, maintaining prior special engines, restoring race or other special cars and continued supply of parts that customers had come to rely on in the past 3 decades."

Their homepage does suggest that they are still doing "special engine projects", whatever that means. But maybe their homepage is not updated as it seems to be under construction. So your take is that unless you know someone there or have good connections with them you will not be able to have them make an engine for you?

Interesting. Is there already a thread somewhere discussing the Euro tuners?
I'm not sure. My take is that the european tuners are not freqently discussed here (apart from RUF). In Germany there are also many small firms which have great knowledge of stuff like this. RUF needless to say but there are also firms which have former RUF personel working for them. One example is RS Tuning which is led by Mr.Reinhold Schmirler, former RUF Employee. RS Tuning is top notch. In Germany furthermore you have Manthey ofcourse and Techart, Gemballa(?), Roock, Strosek etc. but also smaller firms like SHK Sportec. Then you have Sportec in Switzerland, JZ Machtech, Fearnsport, 9M etc. from UK. Then the Scandinavians with Autotuning (RUF) in Norway and Speizialmotorer, GT Motorsport among others in Sweden. Really too many to cover here, each with their own special competence of course.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viggo
So your take is that unless you know someone there or have good connections with them you will not be able to have them make an engine for you?
That's my understanding, V but it is second-hand information. If you or someone you know is really interested in this, I'd suggesting contacting Jimmy (JJayB) for additional info and perhaps an introduction. He knows them better than the average bear and it certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

BB, You are one of very few with a 3.8 ltr twin plug, well built engine, and two radically different ECUs one with fixed boost and the other with variable boost, and coming from two different continents, your feedback about them would be very valuable to the forum
Is there already a thread somewhere discussing the Euro tuners?
There is a number of independent tuners in Europe who have very succesfully been able to tune any sort of engine configuration with factory-like Motronic ECU controlled boost and very precise controlled AFRs, timing, etc.. I do not know of any in the US doing it and I am looking for sources. Some of the most reknown in the US are in fact using European tuners, which is great, as it provides US customers a local option and close support afterwards.
Originally Posted by Viggo
In Germany there are also many small firms which have great knowledge of stuff like this.
Several of these tuners listed do not do their own programming either, often it is the same low-key freelance engineer who does it for them, including some of the BIG houses listed.

I would draw a clear distinction between engine builder and tuner. It is very rare to see a great engine builder who is also a great tuner/programmer and vice-versa, most of them outsource the tuning part , often in their own premises. This specialization is "usually" the most successful combination.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 AM
V
Drifting

That's my understanding, V but it is second-hand information. If you or someone you know is really interested in this, I'd suggesting contacting Jimmy (JJayB) for additional info and perhaps an introduction. He knows them better than the average bear and it certainly couldn't hurt.
OK I see. What about Jochen Rohr? On their homepage his cars are all over the place .

When I did my due diligence before I noticed that FVD has quite a few "power kits" for the 993TT. Does Andial use these parts when they build their engines? I was just curious since they seem to be in close contact with eachother.

Btw, how are your winter projects coming along?
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
There is a number of independent tuners in Europe who have very succesfully been able to tune any sort of engine configuration with factory-like Motronic ECU controlled boost and very precise controlled AFRs, timing, etc.. I do not know of any in the US doing it and I am looking for sources. Some of the most reknown in the US are in fact using European tuners, which is great, as it provides US customers a local option and close support afterwards.
Any names in particular?

Quick Reply: Best Porsche tuner in North America?