Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arena Red FS in Ohio: Anybody know this car?

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arena Red FS in Ohio: Anybody know this car?

It's been listed on Autotrader for a while now and the dealer just renewed the ad.

On the plus side it's right in the range of what I'm looking for as far as mileage, price, mods and color but a couple things throw some warning flags... according to Carfax it's been on the market for an entire year now, seems almost suspiciously long. Also it has a Greddy boost controller installed which I'm not convinced is entirely a good thing depending on how it's been used. In a quick Rennlist search it seems that some folks like them while others feel that they're merely a time bomb waiting to happen.

In the long process of shopping for a 993 I've had the unfortunate experience of having to pass on several cars that were in excellent overall shape due to the discovery major mechanical issues during the PPI process, or in one case uncovering evidence of abuse which came up while researching a car's history. Just hoping to avoid that situation again. So what do you all think?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Chip and Matt at Auto Assets area good local P car service shop, they service my 993tt.

Last edited by Kein_Ersatz; 04-16-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: iPhone fat fingered reply edits
Old 04-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

As a former Arena owner........Looks like suspension has been done. Aftermarket exhaust. He can't take pictures worth **** and you need to have a full PPI done. That being said it LOOK's nice.

Wish i could get one at this moment....

PS: And if those pictures were taken in OH they were taken in the summer. Not sure where in OH there is green grass right now
Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Thanks guys! Apparently it has a Techart suspension which I know very little about. A search on the subject here turned up virtually nothing and Techart doesn't really tout 993 products on their website anymore. I'm curious how this setup would compare to PSS10's or the Bilstein HDs? It has a Techart exhaust as well.

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
PS: And if those pictures were taken in OH they were taken in the summer. Not sure where in OH there is green grass right now
lol sharp eye, apparently the car was listed for sale a year ago and then taken off the market only to be re-listed now. I assume those pictures are about a year old.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
roarke01
Instructor

Best of luck!
Old 04-07-2011, 01:05 AM
kaktis993
Advanced

Originally Posted by roarke01
Best of luck!
Hey thanks Bryan, hope all is well!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I also looked at this car, but need to arrange some things before I can offer so I am likely not to move. However, I also received a reply from the sales guy that threw me off. It went like this:

When I asked if they had done a compression or leakdown test, the reply was:

Thanks for your interest.

We have not done a leakdown or compression test on the car. We have not
gotten that far along in the selling process. Some people will not require
it due the condition of the car overall.
Let me know if you need additional information.

I would NEVER dole out $60,000 without those basic checks...or is this just me???

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
shawsan
Instructor

I don't see anything wrong with his reply. If you wanted to buy the car, I'd expect the buyer to pay for a compression test, etc. And, I'd get it done by a 3rd party.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by shawsan
I don't see anything wrong with his reply. If you wanted to buy the car, I'd expect the buyer to pay for a compression test, etc. And, I'd get it done by a 3rd party.
No, I would expect the compression test, its the tone of "why would I ask that since the car is in such nice shape".

Perhaps I am mis-reading this?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

It's near Columbus, which is a couple hours from me. I go there regularly for work, I'm in Phoenix next week, but could put my hands on it the week after if you'd like?
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
No, I would expect the compression test, its the tone of "why would I ask that since the car is in such nice shape".

Perhaps I am mis-reading this?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike - I think you're completely misreading it. Sounds like he basically said "not everybody opts for a full PPI, and we haven't had a potential buyer run one yet." It didn't seem at all like resistance or surprise that you'd wonder.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:35 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not buy a car that has boost controller unless It was part of a respected tuner kit.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike J
I also looked at this car, but need to arrange some things before I can offer so I am likely not to move. However, I also received a reply from the sales guy that threw me off. It went like this:

When I asked if they had done a compression or leakdown test, the reply was:

Thanks for your interest.

We have not done a leakdown or compression test on the car. We have not
gotten that far along in the selling process. Some people will not require
it due the condition of the car overall.
Let me know if you need additional information.

I would NEVER dole out $60,000 without those basic checks...or is this just me???

Cheers,

Mike
I completely agree, I'd also be running quickly in the opposite direction if they refused to allow a leakdown, compression check and thorough PPI to be performed by a 3rd party. The seller also runs a Porsche service shop and has carried out maintenance on this particular car for years now. I think he just meant that if a buyer came along, fell in love with the car at first sight and was willing to put money down on the spot with no leakdown, etc. he'd sell it to them that way.

Originally Posted by CincyScott
It's near Columbus, which is a couple hours from me. I go there regularly for work, I'm in Phoenix next week, but could put my hands on it the week after if you'd like?
What an awesome offer! I'm just a few miles south of you in Lexington and fly through Columbus fairly regularly so getting there isnt too tough for me, I really appreciate it though!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Originally Posted by pstoppani
I would not buy a car that has boost controller unless It was part of a respected tuner kit.
That's my biggest concern right now, the car's already had 1 turbo replaced because of an oil leak, can't help but wonder if it was related to a turbine overspeed or overboost situation caused by this boost controller. No car is perfect but I'm concerned about the effect that long-term use of this gadget could have on engine longevity. All I know is that it was installed by the original owner some time before 2003. Other than that everything appears to check out clean at first glance.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

What gets me is this. A car like this at a dealer is a crap shoot. A dealer that knows these cars knows these types of tests are going to be requested. BUT if it is a "shoot from the hip this is cool buyer" they would not care about the real condition of the car. A little spit shine will make a turd look great.

This car has potential. The dealer needs to be ignored with regards to the REAL condition of the car. Get a trusted source to inspect it and don't share that info with the dealer. You bought it, you own it (the info).

If you like the car get it looked at. Someone here can recommended a good shop. Then you know . Lots of people here tune their cars. And even though they may not pay RUF(or reputable tuner) money to do so that does not flush the upgrade outright as a hack job.

Just my .02

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arena Red FS in Ohio: Anybody know this car?