Sponsored by:

Feeling left out

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Nooch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feeling left out

So great with posts from new 993tt owners. I feel the love!
Alas, I thought I would soon be joining the group, but have run into a minor glitch. I went to look at the black 993tt in Charlotte two weeks ago and made the owner an offer. Car went in for a PPI yesterday, showed two cylinders had poor leakdown. PO is getting engine repaired by Eurowerks in Charlotte ( possibly bent/burned intake valves).
What do you guys think.......still worthwhile to continue with the PPI/purschase after the repair, or walk.

Appreciate your views and comments.

Adriano
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Tough call. I would tell the seller that you are still interested in the car and, if you are still on the market when it is repaired, will perform another PPI after the repairs. In the meantime, I would keep looking. That way you are covered. The repairs will likely take several weeks.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

+1 what Patrick says, plus, it seems there are a lot of turbos on the market right now - a lot of them black.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

If the car is otherwise what you want and the repairs are being done at a reputable shop, I would think it would be worthy of purchasing. At least you'll know the top ends new. (If it were me, although it would become somewhat complicated, would even consider doing power upgrades while the engine is out if you can come to some agreement with the owner on how much he would cover...)
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

The question that you need to ask the PO.. Is it going to be a repair just to get the two dead holes fixed> or is it a full topend rebuild. If the valves are bent, most likely a missed shift. I would recommend that the rods be removed (do not need to split the case) and check the rod bearings AND measure the big end journal to see if it is in spec.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If they do a real top end rebuild, then go 4 it, any half assed repair of just the two valves....run. I doubt they'll do anything with the con rods, would be nice but I highly doubt the PO would want to add even more to the tab.
You don't really owe the PO any further explanation, you sent the car for a ppi, it failed miserably, end of story. I'll bet he knew there might be an issue.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

i think you should get it fixed for sure .. take it home , change your mind and sell it to some guy in Cambridge for about a third of what you payed
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by trinaia

So great with posts from new 993tt owners. I feel the love!
Alas, I thought I would soon be joining the group, but have run into a minor glitch. I went to look at the black 993tt in Charlotte two weeks ago and made the owner an offer. Car went in for a PPI yesterday, showed two cylinders had poor leakdown. PO is getting engine repaired by Eurowerks in Charlotte ( possibly bent/burned intake valves).
What do you guys think.......still worthwhile to continue with the PPI/purschase after the repair, or walk.

Appreciate your views and comments.

Adriano

Eurowerks did my PPI a few years back. They're a highly respect shop in that area.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Nooch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will go ahead with the purschase if the top end is properly rebuilt.........no, it's got enough power for me, I won't go for cams/etc...nice try!!

Sorry Clive, all I'm going to let you do is drool over it.......time you moved up to a 993 anyway.

Will keep you all posted,

Adriano

Quick Reply: Feeling left out