Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before and after...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
roarke01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it - big improvement on ride height - looks great!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Default Exhaust

Hi Phil,

Here is a picture of the exhaust with the cone section inside the pipe. Works pretty well and quiets the car down a bit. I was never really a fan of the way the cones looked on the car...

Russ

Last edited by TurboLaal; 07-19-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting. There are lots of theories on whether the cones are for noise or back pressure, and whether or not the turbos actually need a little backpressure to spool properly. You will get different answers from different mechanics and tuners all over the place. Its also really diffficult to test this accurately on a dyno as our aircooled cars suffer from major Heat soak after 2 pulls - I've spent lots of time and $ chasing this down. ( http://www.vimeo.com/3827242 - watch the headers and turbos glow) Do you run stock setup with the test pipes? I put them on with Turbo S programming & K16's and it seemed the car was converting power into noise, it felt slower. I felt that until I ran upgraded programming and K24's, all the test pipes did was make everything very loud (well that and remove about 60lbs of unspruung mass from the furthest aftward part of the car). Once I got programming & K24's closer to 500 hp, then it really came alive and the test pipes seemed to do their job.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLaal
Hi Phil,

Here is a picture of the exhaust with the cone section inside the pipe. Works pretty well and quiets the car down a bit. I was never really a fan of the way the cones looked on the car...

Russ
Thanks Russ,

So it looks like the "cones" are actually straight cylinder shaped, and not really "cone" shaped.

I have a couple of perforated cone shaped widjits I was thinking of adding to the Fabspeed system on my Boxster. I'd like to make it a little more mellow sounding.

So you say those inserts helped to quiet the exhaust? I'll have to try some experiments.

Again, your car is looking fantastic!

Phil
Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Small nitpick, that would be 60 lbs of sprung mass.
Originally Posted by DM993tt
well that and remove about 60lbs of unspruung mass from the furthest aftward part of the car.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Small nitpick, that would be 60 lbs of sprung mass.
That's what I meant to say, its still a bunch of weight haning in possibly the worst spot on these cars.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:23 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Dave M, Unfortunately I'm still on the stock turbo's and stock tuning...don't have money yet for anything else but that is for sure in the plans I didn't really have the car long enough with the stock exhaust to be able to tell if the test pipes are just making noise? I enjoy loud exhausts and was extremely excited to drop 60 lbs worth of weight like you and thats why that was the first mod I did...after 1 week of ownership

Phil, The exhaust inserts def. help out with the noise. I'm not going to say it works like a cut out but it does knock out some of the highway exhaust drone and makes it slightly easier to talk on the phone The exhaust inserts are actually the stock cone's (the tips cut off the AWE pipes), they look like a pipe in a pipe but the cones section has been modified to sit flush with the pipes on the car. Not sure if this explanation is helping you, maybe I need to take a couple more pics?

Thanks again for the compliments fellas

Russ

Quick Reply: Before and after...