Sponsored by:

Our cars vs a GT-R?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Our cars vs a GT-R?

I was driving in city traffic and this dude in a Nissan GT-R was being obnoxious trying to get me to race him. He was motioning to an upcoming hwy on-ramp so we could drag or something.

I have a kid and multiple speeding tickets, so my days of recklessness are gone

But I couldn't help but wonder how our cars would do against that car? Anybody been in hand to hand combat with one of these ugly cusses on the track? What kind of hp would you need in a 993TT to keep up?

Just curious,
Old 11-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No match at the track from my experience. Really no match at all, and this one had some track rubber and other mods as well if I recall. That being said my car isn't stock either but still only has bolt on power mods with a large diet.

Funny that a GT-R driver was being obnoxious on the street! Never ever thought that would happen
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

GT-R's are pretty quick up to about 100-120 mph. After that the gearing has a hole in it
Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

no chance those cars are fast .
Old 11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really easy to drive a GTR fast at the track, it will correct all your mistakes. So they have pretty much owned me at the track when driven by a confident driver, as I'm a bit conservative.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spartan
No match at the track from my experience. Really no match at all, and this one had some track rubber and other mods as well if I recall. That being said my car isn't stock either but still only has bolt on power mods with a large diet.

Funny that a GT-R driver was being obnoxious on the street! Never ever thought that would happen

So I'm guessing *you* were the faster car??

What is all this hoopla that they're way faster than a Rohrl driven GT2? (Maybe real world drivers possibly).

I'm not anti-Japanese marques, I've owned an NSX and a handful of others...but I do agree that most high-end Japanese exotic owners have an axe to grind.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be no match unless your 993TT is moded. Drivers republic did a test of the the GT-R
and the PDK C2S. The C2S beat it in 0-60
However the GTR is a really fast car. The 993TT is now geting to be 12-13 years old. It IS a wonderful platform to build a beats. But in stock form its pretty mild mannered for today.
The 996 GT3 has surplanted it in cars i would like to take to the track. And I think you can get a 996 GT3 for cheaper than a 993TT.

WHY

Well the 993 TT is a GREAT car. Even by todays standard its a very pretty car. It was the last air-cooled supercar offered by Porsche. And it is VERY fast in a straight line But the shocks are probably shot on any 993TT that is still stock and the sway bars arent stiff enough. Easily remedied.
The 993 TT may go down as one of the greatest 911 ever.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

I have run with them at the track and on the street, by the way, I assume we are talking R35's? They are wicked fast. My 993 will not run anywhere near what the R35 can do. True, an R35 will make a hell of a lot of decisions for you and will cover a bucket load of mistakes made by a hamfisted driver, but do not make the mistake of thinking that they are easily dispensed with, they are not. In our State and National Super Sprint champs, we have a couple of R35's driven by some of the better drivers and they are outright winners....yep, outright against open wheel race cars and many very fast clubman cars. These cars are breaking laprecords and upsetting the old guard all over Australia. My first sighting of one was when driving my 993 home from my office one night and this spooky grey thing appeared from no-where and took up station right in front of me......he then did the usual dance in front then at back and then made it clear he wanted to see who would accelerate faster........yes, ok then, a drag race.....I never even saw which way he went......he was very much long gone before I had pulled another gear......so maybe my car was slow? I dont think so as I ran the other weekend on a quick road trip with a friend who has bought a 430 Scud and whilst the Scud is very new and tight and is ultimately going to be quicker than me, the increment by which he pulled away from me under full pedal was only very small, the GTR on the other hand, simply ran away from me like I had the hand brake on and the ignition OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Hate that!

Last edited by hiflexaust; 11-03-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: bad spelling!
Old 11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Stock vs stock the R35 GT-R will outperform a 993TT in just about every category. My modded 993TT will outperfrom a stock GT-R in just about every category

Regardless, unless you just want a reliable daily driver I would rather own the Porsche
Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've beat up on stock ones, mild track mods and even a prepped track toy...fact is they are just too damn heavy.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
So I'm guessing *you* were the faster car??

What is all this hoopla that they're way faster than a Rohrl driven GT2? (Maybe real world drivers possibly).

I'm not anti-Japanese marques, I've owned an NSX and a handful of others...but I do agree that most high-end Japanese exotic owners have an axe to grind.
haha of course I was

Not only me but another forum member wagongotya was at the same track and passed the same car in his 993tt (2wd, k16/24, proto software, motons). GT-R seemed to be a good driver as well

Stock for stock come on there are alot of years there and of course we know how that would end up. A modded tt should holds it own and a very very very modded tt at the track and we are getting into baby seal territory
Old 11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
hiflexaust
Rennlist Member

Talking OK,OK already...........

Originally Posted by Spartan
haha of course I was

Not only me but another forum member wagongotya was at the same track and passed the same car in his 993tt (2wd, k16/24, proto software, motons). GT-R seemed to be a good driver as well

Stock for stock come on there are alot of years there and of course we know how that would end up. A modded tt should holds it own and a very very very modded tt at the track and we are getting into baby seal territory
I hate GTR's, but I love baby seals..............in a purely plutonic way of course!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I have been on track with a GT-R driven by a friend of mine. I am 2 seconds a lap faster than him at Thunderhill when he is in his 700hp 997TT. I could not keep up with his GT-R the first day he got it and he got faster. My car is modded to 460 hp (UMW Stage 2). If I had race tires, it might have been closer, but I still don't think I would be faster. With me on R-Comps and him on the stock premium package tires - no chance.

I mighty add that he was only going to keep one car and after 6 months and over a thousand track miles, he got rid of the Nissan because he blew up the transmission (which was warrantied) but felt the thing was too high strung to be as reliable as his Porsche.

Greg H.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the great answers! I was pretty sure that my stock 993TT (motor-wise) would be no contest, which was another reason not to risk another discussion with the local police
Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuner1
Stock vs stock the R35 GT-R will outperform a 993TT in just about every category. My modded 993TT will outperfrom a stock GT-R in just about every category

Regardless, unless you just want a reliable daily driver I would rather own the Porsche
I'd agree... not to mention the R35 GT-R is pretty ugly and at the end of the day.. still a Nissan!

Quick Reply: Our cars vs a GT-R?