Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine problem at track day - little long.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:35 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default engine problem at track day - little long.

Was at a local track day. It was an open/advanced day and basically we could stay out on the track as long as we liked. I had used about 120 liters of fuel. Oil pressures/level/temps okay (at 9 o'clock position). Was running pretty good (hybrid turbos - seeing 1.3+bar at times in 4th), did hit the rev limiter a few times (despite having a shift light and my OBD2 guage says I hit 71xx rpm). Came off the track, did some cool down laps in the paddock area prior to stopping (kept engine running) and was getting ready to go get my 3rd tank of fuel when the engine started smok'in like crazy. (seemed fine on the track) First blue smoke out of the passenger side exhaust, saw a few drops of oil from the reservoir on drivers side. Then a few seconds/minute later smoke from the driver's side. The driver's side smoke becomes/is white... Track day done for me and get flat bedded home
(engine started when getting the car positioned for the flat bed truck + smoke).
At home, I try to turn the car over to get it into the garage and no go. Thought it might be the battery but have charged it and the starter sounds like it is engaging but the motor doesn't turn over....
I'm guessing it's toast? I usually do all my maintenance and installed the turbos myself but thinking I'm not going to be able to fix this on my own...

Was there a thread about a motor for sale a few threads back?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

on my 944 turbo with extended track runs the engine does suck alot of oil into the intake tract from the crankcase ventilation system, leading to some smoking afterwards. Not sure what comparable system is in the 993tt.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:23 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Uh oh -- this sounds serious, not turning over et all.

First thing would be to pull the IC off and try to turn the engine over by hand. Go from there.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear of this - another thought is to drain the engine's sump and see what comes out?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:24 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree. I wonder if the starter isn't catching (happens from time to time on my C2S) or if it simply can't turn the motor over because something's cooked.

There wasn't any tapping or noise associated with the engine during cool down, sitting in the paddock, or once it was started for the flat bed?

My guess is that it's oil - but the only other fluid I'm aware of is hydraulic. (couldn't be brake fluid, could it?)
Old 06-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Hi

Have tried to turn the car over by hand and no go. All other fluid levels seem to be okay. I'm guessing it may be a turbo seal problem and there's going to be a lot of oil in the cylinders - sort of hydro-lock with oil. I guess I can pull the plugs to see. Not sure I'm going to have the time to work on it myself. Thinking of just taking it in to have it looked at...

Ryojo
Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

sorry to hear.
hopefully it is not too serious.
good luck.
maybe you can do some more upgrades "while you are in there" if you have to go in there.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Had it flat bedded to a local shop today, we'll se what they say next week. Don't hear much about engine failures in our cars in general so may be not that serious. Regardless if I get to do some upgrades, I wouldn't be too fussed at all - would actually look forward to it! Just too bad it happened now at the beginning of the driving season. I have holidays in Aug, I'm hoping it'll be back in better shape by then.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

wish you were closer to me.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:28 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humm..could that white smoke been light blue? 1.3 bar sustained with 7xxx rpm will raise your inlet temps to 150 degs on a warm day! If you hydrauliced the motor with oil, you've bent a least one rod.
Keep us posted on the findings.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

The smoke was blue from the passenger side and then a little later lots of white smoke from the driver's side, suppose it could have been light blue but quite a bid different from the passenger side. No funny noises or anything. I'm not sure what people mean by sustained boost, the 1.3+ is only for a few seconds near redline, ~>6000 to redline only in 4th (don't think I reached redline in 5th). Boost in lower gears peaked a just over 1 or thereabouts. In 4th, you get a 'second' jolt of acceleration near the top of the rpm range. I hit the rev limiter a few times passing cars and trying to keep up with a 997gt3rs. About 1/3 of the drivers were more regulars and faster than me. As I got faster, some of the shorter straights I had to decide between keeping the car in 3rd and coasting a little to keep off the rev limiter vs shifting into 4th for a few seconds. Didn't really know what the rev limit was until I check in the memory of the OBD2 scan gauge and saw a 71xx rpm as the highest rpm hit that day.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts

wow, missed the locked motor part. Good luck with this
Old 06-27-2009, 04:47 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, but it doesn't sound good.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

I would pull the spark plugs and try to turn the engine over. If you lost a valve spring a hanging valve will lock the engine.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Can't rule out a broken shaft in the turbocharger, this would pump significant oil into the intake system. Again, pull the spark plugs and pull the inlets ducts to the turbochargers to inspect the rotating assy.

Quick Reply: engine problem at track day - little long.