Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine problem at track day - little long.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh s**t.
My worse nightmare. I really hope it's not too bad, whatever it is.
GL
Old 07-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Well it turns out my motor is in good shape. Hydrolocked with oil but happened while on the flat deck (was running when it went on the flat deck but would not turn over when I got it off - oil ran into a couple of cylinders from the intake filling them). So nothing seems to be bent. Very good compression (110-120, 120 in the two cylinders that had oil in them) and leak down 1-2%. Intake and exhaust full of oil. The turbos are off and being looked at by Kevin.
It's a really nice day out today and am missing not being able to go for an outing. Kind of sad not having the car in the garage. Almost wish I had tackled trying to fix it myself, at least I'd have something to keep me busy. Getting the clutch done and looking at some suspension bits as a "while I have it at the shop thing"...

I did get the heat exchangers off so I'd have something to do. I've been out grinding/polishing both the insides and outsides. There is quite a bit of 'overhang' inside these things that can literally be cut off prior to grinding down. Here's a copy of some pics from this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

And here are some pics now that I'd been through with them.
Multiple dremel bits, and multiple bits / circular wire brushes on a flexible shaft on my drill over the last few evenings. Now nice and shinny both in side and outside.
Attached Images      
Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news, glad it's a simple fix. Good work with the headers, will grinding off the weld not weaken them though?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
Good news, glad it's a simple fix. Good work with the headers, will grinding off the weld not weaken them though?
There's actual little extensions to the tubing inside (I guess few mm too long) that can be cut off/ground down. The welds at those seams are on the outside - so thought it would be okay to grind those down aggressively. The welds at the exit and inlet flanges have welds on the inside, but look like they have good penetration and most of the weld seam isn't raised but depressed/concave and it's the edges of the weld that is raised (not sure I'm explaining my self well). Tried to flatten them out without going too crazy on them. Hopefully they won't crack!
Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great news!
nice idea taking care of some other stuff while you have the opportunity. Making lemondade out of lemons
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aaah, a nice labor of love!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

I can't believe how long it took to get my car back! Got it this afternoon. Every part took longer than expected to get and my mechanic was on holidays for a bit. Missed a couple of track days I wanted to go to (one I had already paid for). It ended up being pretty pricey, so, I am going to continue to try to do all the repairs/upgrades myself in the future. Also it almost killed me to not at least have my car to work on over the summer, I was getting emotional about it...
I'm signed up for a track day on Oct 2, looks like I'll have time to break in the turbos etc by then.
So, will plan to post pics later but the work done include:
rebuilt turbos by UMW
heat exchanger porting DIY
replace lower hydraulic lifters/valve cover
rs lwfw/clutch/stock pp/ring gear/release bearing/clutch guide tube/fork (old clutch down to rivets)
Evo uprights/new bearings/tie rods
stainless brake lines
front calipers rebuild
alignment

pretty glad it's back and running great! First impressions are that the uprights/tie rods make quite a difference, seems more steady. Turn in feel quite a bit quicker, but that may be due to the alignment (-2 all around).
Looking forward to getting to the track.

Ryojo
Old 09-23-2009, 12:09 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Have fun!

Quick Reply: engine problem at track day - little long.