Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 993TT Owner... with a few Q's.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 PM
AHI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 993TT Owner... with a few Q's.....

I just recently bought my ultimate dream car... 1996 993TT... 80,000 miles on her. She's black on black, and already lowered on a set of coil-overs...

I gave her a face-lift by replacing the headlight and fog light lenses... I absolutely love this car. The feeling it gives me everytime I drive it is in-describable...

Yesterday, I purchased a used 97 ECU and Turbo S oil cooler from LA dismantlers... I can't believe I actually found them both used, I was planning on buying them new from the dealer, and ended up saving myself at least $2,500 !!!

I have been searching around and researching which software to go with it (looking at the 480hp program), and I'm leaning more towards GIAC, but still can't make up my mind...

The exhaust system I've chosen is the Fabspeed system with headers, but can't find too many reviews on them either....

Hopefully you experienced folks could guide me in the right direction with my tuning?

Thanks in advance !!!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Stay away from the headers... They don't fit...

Oh BTW... Welcome and let the slope begin.
There is No bottom...
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Also... look at Fister D Exhaust... a much better bet. He modifies the stock mufflers for a better sound than Fabspeed...
Fister 993tt Sport Exhaust Modification

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQzfJm9eGLw
Old 01-15-2009, 07:45 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHI, glad you found you way over from 6speed

Now for the prerequisite: Post pics or prepare to be banned

BTW, no new question threads until you become a Rennlist Member
https://rennlist.com/forums/payments.php

But seriously, welcome aboard
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

Congratulations on your TT. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

You can search on here for feedback on GIAC, but to save you some time their 993TT tune is not held in high regard. Nor are you likely to get 480hp from stock K16s and a tune.

The factory gets 430 hp (DIN) / 424hp (SAE) out of the K16 Turbo S chip. There was even someone here recently in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...4-k16-k24.html looking to swap for a stock 97 chip.

I believe if you want more than ~430hp, you're looking at modifying your turbos, but if you search in this forum you'll find plenty of info.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome, and like they said, post some pics.
You watch out for the slipperly slope these people speak of.
I'm staying well away from that for the time being.
Enjoy her, they are indeed very special cars.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

welcome. sounds like you got a great car. you got the fastest colour!
are you in LA. not many here have had good experiences with LA dismantlers....do a search...hopefully everything works out.
based on others experiences on this board Ultimate Motor Works (Kevin UMW) as site sponsor here is the guy you want to speak to for performance mods...he can flash 96 ecus so you may not need the 97.
again welcome
and post pics
Old 01-16-2009, 12:18 PM
AHI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Barney1
Stay away from the headers... They don't fit...

Oh BTW... Welcome and let the slope begin
This header issue has not been resolved over the last couple builds? When I spoke to him last, he had to make the one I wanted to order... and what is this slippery slope you speak of?

Originally Posted by canysmc
AHI, glad you found you way over from 6speed

Now for the prerequisite: Post pics or prepare to be banned

BTW, no new question threads until you become a Rennlist Member
https://rennlist.com/forums/payments.php

But seriously, welcome aboard
Payment made !!! No pics yet, but soon.

Originally Posted by BlkC4S
Congratulations on your TT. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

You can search on here for feedback on GIAC, but to save you some time their 993TT tune is not held in high regard. Nor are you likely to get 480hp from stock K16s and a tune.

The factory gets 430 hp (DIN) / 424hp (SAE) out of the K16 Turbo S chip. There was even someone here recently in this thread https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...4-k16-k24.html looking to swap for a stock 97 chip.

I believe if you want more than ~430hp, you're looking at modifying your turbos, but if you search in this forum you'll find plenty of info.
Okay, I've spent tons of time reading... general consencus is that GIAC is not great, and that 480hp is not realistic.. but a lot of this is because of Octane levels in your states? In Toronto we have Sunoco 94 Octane readily available at every corner... does that mean 480hp is more realistic for me? I have very aggressive tunes in all my cars and they all get 94 Octane ALL the time...

Originally Posted by Turbodan
welcome. sounds like you got a great car. you got the fastest colour!
are you in LA. not many here have had good experiences with LA dismantlers....do a search...hopefully everything works out.
based on others experiences on this board Ultimate Motor Works (Kevin UMW) as site sponsor here is the guy you want to speak to for performance mods...he can flash 96 ecus so you may not need the 97.
again welcome
and post pics
This worries me a little.. I am in Toronto, Canada... so I'm VERY far away... the only way they can screw me over is by sending me another 96 ECU... then I'll be stuck with 2 improprer ECU's... I don't see how they could have lied about the oil cooler, it was on ebay, and they have 100% feedback there with over 1,000 sales... we'll see in a couple days...

Remember, in Canada, we pay about 20-30% more for things... a brand new 1997 ECU would have run me about $3,200.00 from the dealer here, while it's around $2,000 in the US... same with the oil cooler... so I was thankful to find both items used... I hope it works out, I will definitely keep you posted....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Trust me.....don't do the Fabspeed headers. Your better off porting the stock units.. None of the under trays fit along with other items never line up.....Been there, done that...Oh and the slope..??? You just keep spending money and money and money.....
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Nice car! Maybe we'll see you around the streets in the GTA.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

welcome, you 'll know the slope here shortly, actually you're already on it ;-)

i have fabspeed cats and muffler bypasses. muffler bypasses fit nice and easy, no surprise as there's nothing to them. the cats however were a nightmare, still don't fit properly, and i was really really rubbed the wrong way by how they handled it. i tried everything i could to try to get them to realize they were just a poor fab, but they insisted that the bolted right up to their test car. that made me sad for them because their test car must have been quite twisted up.

anyway, just my 0.02, and if you do deal with them i hope your experience is better. i don't like to bash people, really not my style, just wanted to pass this along. i'd get the cats restuffed by kevin at umw if i had it to do over again.

congrats on your car, you'll love it.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Don't mod anything until you do research on here first. You can save yourself a lot headaches and money. Unlike the 996TT, GIAC and Fabspeed are not the first choice for our cars.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

for bypasses use ghl they are sponsor here, just can be costly.
as for the turbos oil cooler I have it and doesn't do that much I think the fvd one is preferred (much bigger), however it is only necessary for long track runs(+30 mins)otherwise stock should be fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM
AHI
Advanced

Wow... you guys are on it !!!

Okay, Fabspeed - Scratched... GIAC - Scratched....

I will call UMW and talk to them.

Yes Joe, you will definitely see me around the GTA... I may sponsor some of the Toronto track events.... (www.simplytire.com)

For now, my only concern are my parts from LA dismantler as some people are telling me they've encountered nothing but problems with them... I'll keep my fingers crossed...
Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any decent tuner doesn't need a 97 ecu to program it so I'd sell that. The cargraphic or RUF coolers are twice the size of the S cooler but if you don't mod or track too much the S may be enough (but probably not). The slippery slope is where you buy an upgrade then want more power after you get used to it. I went from a umw stage 2 package to a protomotive setup but the good thing is umw products have decent resale value.

Quick Reply: New 993TT Owner... with a few Q's.....