Sponsored by:

Polar Silver

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polar Silver

I have a 1996 Polar Silver car that's undergoing the knife to repair some damage. I'm not a fan of the color and was quite pissed when the car was sold to me as 'silver' and arrived a light blue. I'm considering having the car painted a true silver without a blue hue.

Can anyone speculate how badly that will affect the car's value?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 210 Posts

In the US - A LOT - anywhere else - not so much I would think....

Depends how good the job is really....

Do it!!! - But I am like that

Simon.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

be sure to photograph the process so when you go to sell it you can show that it was not in an accident. I think it should run around $10 k for a proper job (take out all glass, everything off). also you will never get as good a job as factory.
but it is your car so do what you want.
how about tinted sunglasses
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbodan
be sure to photograph the process so when you go to sell it you can show that it was not in an accident. I think it should run around $10 k for a proper job (take out all glass, everything off). also you will never get as good a job as factory.
but it is your car so do what you want.
how about tinted sunglasses
I wish I could get out under $10,000. Materials alone are $8,000 and I'm having the drip rails removed, too. The car is at the same shop that just finished mr_bock's car. The paint process hasn't started yet, so I'm not sure which direction I'll take. Perhaps I can just have the blue toned down.

And I hope you're joking about the factory paint. It's absolute garbage compared to a proper job. It has more orange peel than Florida.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do it. I am admitidedly biased. Polar Silver metallic is a great color. It has the hue that plain vanilla silver does not. Just my two cents.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
scudnik
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will reduce the value of the car significantly... I would say in the neighborhood of 10-15%+, and that's assuming that you're going to paint it the "other" silver that was available on 993 TT's - Arctic Silver (available as special order/optional on 97's).

Personally I like both of them... Parked side by side, I would have a hard time choosing between the two colors.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go signal green - WTF? Then put some all-black Fiske wheels on it , go light weight, and have a car that nobody else has. I am far from a value expert, but given that you are already painting the car to fix damage, I am not sure there is that much downside for a color change. So why not make it a rare, cool color? That's my $0.02 and a summarized version of my back-up plan if I were ever to sustain any damage.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Smindustries
I wish I could get out under $10,000. Materials alone are $8,000 and I'm having the drip rails removed, too. The car is at the same shop that just finished mr_bock's car. The paint process hasn't started yet, so I'm not sure which direction I'll take. Perhaps I can just have the blue toned down.

And I hope you're joking about the factory paint. It's absolute garbage compared to a proper job. It has more orange peel than Florida.
not sure what has happened to your car but no orange peel here...
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I wouldn't

The only thing that affects resale is the breadth of sellers you can appeal to. You would catch a LOT of attention from buyers by a complete repaint on a car that's only a decade or so old. More folks would question why the car needed a repaint and would back away as such. It's not so much the color question as to why a complete repaint.

My guess is 20-25% less than a comparable car without such work...no matter how nice it is. Just MHO, of course!

Scott
1997 993TT Waiter! (on a truck somewhere in transit)
Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbodan
not sure what has happened to your car but no orange peel here...
Either you haven't looked closely enough or you've never seen perfect paint. All factory jobs are garbage and have been for the last 20 years or so. The last cars with nice paint were Diablos right about the time they were bought by the Germans.

Take a paint meter to your car. I guarantee you don't have more than 12 mils of finish. You can't polish a surface to perfection with any less.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
Go signal green - WTF? Then put some all-black Fiske wheels on it , go light weight, and have a car that nobody else has. I am far from a value expert, but given that you are already painting the car to fix damage, I am not sure there is that much downside for a color change. So why not make it a rare, cool color? That's my $0.02 and a summarized version of my back-up plan if I were ever to sustain any damage.
That's a helluva back-up plan. I'd like the car to be tasteful. I have an orange Lotus and the shape of that car lends itself to bright colors. The 993 is more dowdy and deserves a color that fits its image.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 AM
goatfarmer1970
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what color goes best with dowdy and do not want to suggest one without a full nomex suit. However, while I concede that daily drivability and resale could be compromised by painting the car Signal green (or Riviera blue, or Tangerine, or that minty green color sometimes seen on UK 964 RS cars), I am pretty confident that a wild colored and lightweight 993TT would put a big smile on your face every time you got near it. And if you say $300 per month worth of smiles, then you will have more than made up for any resale discount in just a few years. So whatever color you want, because life is too short to drive a car that isn't doing it for you.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:45 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

You are pissed because you bought a dowdy car in a color you had never seen?
I assume you are pissed at yourself, right?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your licks and fix the car with the stock color, sell it and buy one you like. You won't get as much money for it due to the market and your crash but on the flipside you will pick up the one you like for cheap as well due to the market. If your ready to do a full respray it sounds like you can handle losing some coin on the sale of your current car.

Repainting a car is a HUGE project. I'm doing that as we speak myself (everything but the actual spraying of the paint) and it takes alot of weekends and nights to strip the car. Can't imagine how much a shop would charge to do that!!

To answer your question changing the color will dent the value unless there are special cirumstances like if its a nogaro GT2

Last edited by Spartan; 12-02-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
You are pissed because you bought a dowdy car in a color you had never seen?
I assume you are pissed at yourself, right?
+1

Polar looks blue in the shade and silver in the sunlight. Would not repaint a different color.

Quick Reply: Polar Silver