Sponsored by:

Cost if Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cost if Rebuild

This is a broad question but what is the cost of an engine rebuild. My car doesn't need one as is but I was contemplating an upgrade performance wise and this may be the time for the rebuild. I am not looking to go to a 3.8 or anything like that but a strong 3.6 that can handle Kevin's Stage 2 or a Protomotive package.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:45 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15K easily
Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen receipts for $12K.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Thank you both for your replies. I know amounts will vary but I am trying to get a rough estimate.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We need some further detail on what you want to do. Is this a basic top end job with new rods/rod bolts etc? Or are you going with cams, solid lifters, flame rings, valve work etc (the list goes on and on)

All of these things have a drastic effect on the price of a rebuild. A mild rebuild with a top end job along with new rods should be less than $10k imo (given there are no surprises) but this varies HEAVILY from shop to shop. Call around and ask for quotes, that's what I did. It also gives you a good idea of how each shop approachs what they think is adequate for your power/reliablilty needs. As I mentioned above it varies quite a bit from shop to shop.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking a basic top end job with new rods/rod bolts etc. I don't know if cams, solid lifters, flame rings, valve work etc would be worth the cost if I wanted Kevin's stage II or a similar Protomotive setup.

There is only 1 local shop so my options are limited but I wouldn't mind driving my car to Protomovie since they are one state over from me.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iborroel
I was thinking a basic top end job with new rods/rod bolts etc. I don't know if cams, solid lifters, flame rings, valve work etc would be worth the cost if I wanted Kevin's stage II or a similar Protomotive setup.

There is only 1 local shop so my options are limited but I wouldn't mind driving my car to Protomovie since they are one state over from me.
Being willing to travel really opens up your options thats for sure. My search was a national one which really showed how different these shops approach rebuilds & pricing. Its been my experience to go to someone that you know has done many of these engines but then you may see the cost per hour increase as well. All depends on ones budget and objectives

Give Todd a call and I'm sure he can put together a quote for you

Quick Reply: Cost if Rebuild