Sponsored by:

Did Porsche make a "GT2 EVO" road car ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:27 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Graeme, your mechanic is wrong at least for the 21 factory '98 993GT2s - if your car has non hydraulic cams and different heads then it has been altered which of course is possible
I'd love to see some GPS acceleration data for your car so we can "feel" the acceleration, in fact if you run a 60-130 we can tell you pretty accurately what power you are running
Here is that engine dyno graph for the 450 lump, big surge at 5500rpm
Old 11-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Turbo993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme36s
I too was concerned about the rumour that the Evo was cobbled together from what parts where available. Apparently this was not true. They all came with the correct parts bolted on. True they did not have the aluminium doors I am told they are £5000 each to replace.
"Cobbled together" sounds much too negativ; just wanted to say that they did not start an extra production run for the 98 version (21 would never cover the total cost of that..) They just made use of the spare parts, but it's all original 993 GT2 parts - except doors and engine. I bet they made sure of the quality before offering these 20 cars to preferred customers. And sure enough the 450 hp engine is preferrable to the 430 hp - I have driven both in the 993 Turbo. Although I tend to think that your car is not a stock 450 hp engine anymore, following your description about the comparison.
Anyway, a great driving machine, enjoy it!
Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Turbo993
Advanced

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Here is that engine dyno graph for the 450 lump, big surge at 5500rpm
I agree - posted before. And that's they way the 450 hp move forward (current thing I am running )
Old 11-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Evo pulls much, much harder and at 5500rpm it really kicks hard again. The best way to show the difference is that in the earlier car coming off a roundabout in 2nd gear and nailing it to the floor on the way out it comes on boost, grips and goes with no drama. The Evo is starting to go sideways and is trying its hardest to spin up the rear tyres. regards to you all, Graeme
[Off-Topic]
It's well known that the factory ECU/K24s, do have two small "bump" when the turbos kicks in. Reprogramming the ECU will interpolate the power between first and second bump and make it more linear and slightly more efficient.
[/Off-Topic]

Last edited by Rassel; 11-04-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Darn, everyone beat me to it... :(
Old 11-04-2007, 06:03 PM
graeme36s
Racer

The trouble is you read so much rubbish on the web you really do not know what is truth or BS. Not on rennlist but just doing searches for information. The car is totally original even down to the quite exhausts. The ECU was interrogated and has its original seal and has not been re programmed. The car prior to me was owned from new by a chap called Herman Muller. A Porsche VIP customer (I think you had to be or you could not buy one). He is a German industrialist with mega money. Any of you guys remember what was called the Harlequin race cars that raced at Le Mans etc. It was his team and money and I guess done just for fun. Andy has worked on and looked after more GT2's in the the UK than any other chap I know. He is very passionate about his Porsche's and his educated guess is that she is making nearer 470bhp than 450. He told me off whilst fitting the actuators the other week, although a little tongue in cheek that I had got the underneath dirty and that I should take time out to keep her clean. Bloody hell I probably will be underneath the car with a cloth and a can of WD40. I am 46 and have never done that in my life.
I'll PM phelix. I know he is quite happy for me to borrow the DL1 box so we can run some numbers. What do you guys want. 60 to 130mph, you tell me and we'll do it. Just need to make sure it is a dry day. As a side note I have always loved the look of the GT2. I drove one many years ago at Silvestone on the GP and was not impressed with the performance. I think this car had issues. Having driven Mike's GT2 back from Silverstone on Saturday again it is not that impressive. VC's GT2 clubsport (orange) and only on a circuit has me grinning from ear to ear but it does not have the Evo's level of punch. Just to give you a bit of insight I have owned only air cooled 911's since 1992, raced them on and off since 1993 and have quite a few trophies. Raced a 996 GT3RS at Daytona, owned my own Porsche garage from 97 to 02 more from the passion than the money. Mostly offering race support which ended up killing off my own racing because of time and the fact that you cannot beat your customers. Please do not think I am banging a gong as in look at me and how good I am. It is not meant to sound that way. I am a 911 drug addict and that is all. Sorry if it sounds like a rant but I have had a couple of beers.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Rassel
Drifting

No problemo Graeme, with a few beers I do sub 6min on the ring on a Vespa and claim I can beat Räikkönen any day...

You state your sources and tell from your own experience instead of telling everybody "unsupported facts & expertize".

Though still, you got a GT2 that everyone here would give an arm and a leg for. So you'll end up in the "look at me" category, no matter what you do about it
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

The trouble is you read so much rubbish on the web you really do not know what is truth or BS. Not on rennlist but just doing searches for information..
Graeme
Sorry to sound a tw&t but you keep posting on forums (PH ) about your EVO cams and special heads is a prime example of what you describe above !

I realise you are only regurgetating what your mechanic (who you obviously hold in high regard) has told you but insisting the engine is stock (which you wrote when you got the car) yet it has these non stock parts contradicts this

Your car, if it is stock will NOT have 470hp. Porsche have never given away free hp (OK maybe 5 or 10 max) - I would suggest your mechanic is a great wrench but has probably spent more time working on these cars than studying the detail of the various engine configurations like many of us geeks on here
You are addicted to the 911 drug - for the 993tt (RWD or 4WD) and this forum is the right place for you

BTW to measure the performance using GPS datalogger 60-130 or 160 (as high as you feel comfortable with) would reveal all, try and find a flattish road and we really need to know the running weight of your car as well as outside temperature.... Jean has a very accurate set of formulas which he can run with this data.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:56 PM
francisb
Intermediate

oh so this is where you lot hang out is it? :-)
Old 11-05-2007, 03:25 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Is it possible to contact Porsche and get this information? Say as a "customer" doing research on his car...can Werks I be of any assistance? I've spoken with Marc Bongers and he is a very very in depth Porsche person, but I spoke with him in regards to newer Porsches and not GT2 Evo's either way his information is pretty spot on.

Just curious to find out the definite answer!
Old 11-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Graeme, your mechanic is wrong at least for the 21 factory '98 993GT2s - if your car has non hydraulic cams and different heads then it has been altered which of course is possible
The only other option I can think of is if this car was an "EVO" car that has been converted to street car, therefore retains the K27s, and has had an intercooler change back to stock, Motronic and MAF setup, although it would not make any sense. The easy way to know this is through the VIN number. Graeme if you can post the last 6 digits, I can quickly tell you if it is an EVO, converted to street GT2. Of course a datalogged run in 4th-5th gear will tell all as well.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Hi Jean,
this will not be the case.
Andy at Fearnsport is an enthusiast and in truth I have not known him very long but I like his style. I have known, used and met many mechanics over the years and most are wan**rs. Andy and his crew are very different. Fearnsport after all had to completely rebuild an engine for a standard 993GT2 EVO, JC's black car so I am sure he can recognise non hydraulic tappets and high lift cams when he see's them. Ninemeister was envolved with JC's car but had nothing to do as I understand it with the problem that was caused by A anothers screw up.
Anyway as requested

regards Graeme
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Turbo993
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jean
The only other option I can think of is if this car was an "EVO" car that has been converted to street car, therefore retains the K27s, and has had an intercooler change back to stock, Motronic and MAF setup, although it would not make any sense. The easy way to know this is through the VIN number. Graeme if you can post the last 6 digits, I can quickly tell you if it is an EVO, converted to street GT2. Of course a datalogged run in 4th-5th gear will tell all as well.
No, it's a regular Gt2 street car from modelyear 98 with K24 - according to VIN.
Once again, the EVOs were built only from 95-97, with KK27 and 600 hp, check this official porsche link (it is in german though): http://www.porsche.com/germany/sport...995-911gt2evo/
Regards,
Nils
Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbo993
No, it's a regular Gt2 street car from modelyear 98 with K24 - according to VIN.
Once again, the EVOs were built only from 95-97, with KK27 and 600 hp, check this official porsche link (it is in german though): http://www.porsche.com/germany/sport...995-911gt2evo/
Regards,
Nils
Looks pretty definative to me, staight from Porsche -the GT2 EVO was the '95 onwards race car with K27s and 600PS....
Unless cars like Graemes are like Jean said, a converted race car then it is a '98 GT2 with Werks 1 450PS engine - 1 of 21 and very tasty

Last edited by TB993tt; 11-05-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

If the '97 race cars used stock tt heads, as indicated here, it is doubtful that the street cars used anything else

Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 AM
francisb
Intermediate

Graeme, if you do get your mits on a DL1 and happen to be passing Herr Fearns I wonder it it might find its way onto my passenger seat on one of its monthly cobweb removal runs.... would be interesting to see what it does (for acuracy could get the boys to weigh before the test too...)

Quick Reply: Did Porsche make a "GT2 EVO" road car ?