Sponsored by:

GT2 expansion manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

keeping volume the same
why do you have to keep volume the same - it just changes with the temp. It's probably a combination of very small amount of pressure dropping and volume expanding - that's why the temp decreases.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
I don't know guys, I think Porsche is smarter than what you're imagining is going on. I think if they say 1.4 bar, then it is 1.4 bar that the intake/combustion chamber 'sees' dispite the 'expansion and compression' that goes on. I don't think the pressures change, just the volume depending on temp. If you look at the blue 'dot' - I assume they represent molecules. Although the density of the dots change as you go through the intake port, the density with in the combution chamber is the same, just at a lower temperature. Pressures can remain the same while density/volume changes. (if I remember by physics correctly, I could be wrong - I'm a MD not an engineer)
So back to my earlier question, if the air is at 1.4bar as it enters the combustion chamber AND the air is cooler (than a "normal" 1.4bar charge) 'cos it has expanded then with a CR of 9:1 surely an ideal combustion should liberate more like 650hp not a measily 530 ????

It makes more sense to me that the turbo is working to produce 1.4bar to make the whole expansion thing "do its thing" with the resultant air escaping from the narrow intake tubes into the combustion chamber being actually quite a bit less if one measured the average pressure of the volume of air allowed into the chamber during a stroke ?
The density/volume stuff surely just changes with working temperature

Can someone direct some of the clever guys over here: Steve W, Porsche PhD, Red Rooster, Geoffrey etc ??
Old 10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 607 Posts

why do you have to keep volume the same - it just changes with the temp. It's probably a combination of very small amount of pressure dropping and volume expanding - that's why the temp decreases.
Keeping the volume the same would even be a stretch. A cooling gas will tend to contract, not expand in volume. That is why there must be a pressure drop. These gas laws have not been circumvented by Porsche engineers.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:07 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
this resonance tuning is a crock. The resonance is going to change at difference engine speeds anyway. The GT2 uses the same VTG compressors as the 997tt despite what Porsche may be alluding. The only difference may be some kind of pre-load circuit for launching. The Gt2 is also has no real headroom for quick tuning, since it the engine setup is essentially a stg 2 997tt
Out of curiosity, at what manufacturers R&D are you employed at ? You are making some definite statements and I was wondering if you could back them up with facts, not net fiction. I am also puzzled by a man of your abilities that you use generic GIAC software................are you the brain behind Lin and his mediocre offerings with 6000 revisions until he gets it right ?
Old 10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TB993tt
So back to my earlier question, if the air is at 1.4bar as it enters the combustion chamber AND the air is cooler (than a "normal" 1.4bar charge) 'cos it has expanded then with a CR of 9:1 surely an ideal combustion should liberate more like 650hp not a measily 530 ????

It makes more sense to me that the turbo is working to produce 1.4bar to make the whole expansion thing "do its thing" with the resultant air escaping from the narrow intake tubes into the combustion chamber being actually quite a bit less if one measured the average pressure of the volume of air allowed into the chamber during a stroke ?
The density/volume stuff surely just changes with working temperature

Can someone direct some of the clever guys over here: Steve W, Porsche PhD, Red Rooster, Geoffrey etc ??
I think you are correct that the 1.4 bar is seen only prior to the expansion chamber, which then creates another pressure drop to 1.2 bar or so. I just cannot imagine that the benefit is worthwhile. Empirically since the RUF 550(using the stock 997 VTG and 1.2 bar) car is actually faster than a Gt2 , it would hold that the "modified VTG" and "expansion intake" is not a step forward.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pole position
Out of curiosity, at what manufacturers R&D are you employed at ? You are making some definite statements and I was wondering if you could back them up with facts, not net fiction. I am also puzzled by a man of your abilities that you use generic GIAC software................are you the brain behind Lin and his mediocre offerings with 6000 revisions until he gets it right ?

Nice post PP. You are adding little value to this discussion. I have stated the facts for my assertions:

1)factory published dyno plots
2)real world performance figures
3)basic gas laws

I am going to PM you my background for your satisfaction
Old 10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
I think you are correct that the 1.4 bar is seen only prior to the expansion chamber, which then creates another pressure drop to 1.2 bar or so. I just cannot imagine that the benefit is worthwhile. Empirically since the RUF 550(using the stock 997 VTG and 1.2 bar) car is actually faster than a Gt2 , it would hold that the "modified VTG" and "expansion intake" is not a step forward.
I am happy that this explains what the Porsche marketing people are trying to describe above.

Does it follow that to make a VTG (or any other blower) produce 1.4bar in a "normally" sized intake pipe (linear 997tt) would take more energy than producing 1.4bar in a narrower pipe (GT2) so the VTG is probably not actually working THAT much harder (quantifying how much is obviously difficult) than on the 997tt.

I suspect Porsche marketing did not want to take the discussion(training for sales people) any further than mentioning 1.4bar -which lets face it MOST people asscociate with the size of their manhood and it will be well recieved by customers

I don't agree that this is not a breakthrough and using marketing torque graphs is too simplistic IMO. Porsche will have spent many many hours R&Ding this using VERY sophisticated test stand. Whilst the difference may not be as massive as the "blurb" would have us think, Porsche would not use it if it wasn't significant.
The modified 997tt cannot be compared unless the 997GT2 is tuned to the same limits instead of the (almost certainly) conservative factory limits.

What of tuning the 997GT2, will the relative small tube mean that the VTGs can wind up to give even more boost before the expansion phase ?? All good stuff which will no doubt come out in the months to come - I can see a bigger market for the Secan Intercoolers
Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Theorhetically if the intake plumbing was of smaller caliber, the GT2 should be able to produce more boost and subsequent torque at lower rpms than if using a larger caliber intake manifold. I just don't think this is the case based upon the figures Porsche has released to date.

The other issue I see is that it means the GT2 VTG's may have little to no headroom for additional power output. The expansion intake is a mandatory pressure drop/restriction point and certainly pushing the VTG's to any higher boost should be of great detrimental consequence.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

A cooling gas will tend to contract, not expand in volume
ahh, this is where you are incorrect sir. You are right in that when a certain volume of air is cooled, it will decrease in volume, but, if you have compressed air/gas then you allow it to expand, it gets colder - absorbs heat as it expands.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

ahh, this is where you are incorrect sir. You are right in that when a certain volume of air is cooled, it will decrease in volume, but, if you have compressed air/gas then you allow it to expand, it gets colder - absorbs heat as it expands.
You are correct, but your question was what happened if you kept pressure constant. In the above situation, the pressure will also drop if you allow the volume to expand.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

But the pressure drop is very small, not anything near the 1.4 to 1.2 bar that's been talked about in the above posts. It's the change in pressure related to just increasing the length of the 'distributor tube' and decreasing the length othe the 'intake port' and the flow created by such change in the intake. Pulsatile flow comes into the equation as well.

Porsche is talking about small differences in efficiency that they likely have proven to make a difference. I doubt it's just marketing, it must make a difference for them to use it. (I think)

I just pm'ed a 'automotive air induction engineer' who I've seen post on the 997 forum - hopefully he can also comment.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

You got it Basal Skull (I'm just another humble MD, as well).

The expansion intake was engineered to decrease temps. at the impeller since those on early VTG's on test mules were melting.

It wasn't merely a marketing exercise.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I forgot to add it also was a nod to the CO2 ****'s blitzkrieging Europe to demonstrate fuel consumption counter-measures.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:59 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Al Pettee
You got it Basal Skull (I'm just another humble MD, as well).

The expansion intake was engineered to decrease temps. at the impeller since those on early VTG's on test mules were melting.

It wasn't merely a marketing exercise.
Back to the ideal gas law- c'mon guys, I know that chem was part of my pre-med req's - the volume could be held as a constant, since the volume of each cylinder is .6L, say intake temp is 320K, pressure is 140kPa (1.4bar)

If pv= nRT, then (140kPa)(0.6L)=n(8.314)(320k)
n=0.03 moles of "gas" in each cylinder

if you want to generate even a modest drop in the intake temp, say 20 degrees then we can figure out how much pressure drop would need to occur

p2=nRT2/V

p2=(0.03)(8.314)(300)/0.6L

p2=124.7 kPa, or 1.25 bar

This is just for a 20 degree drop. Good intercoolers can generate much more drop.

Now, a 20 degree drop in intake temps would probably not drop EGT significantly, since EGT is more dependent on the pressure increases in the actual turbine of the turbo. Elimination of exhaust backpressure is far more important a factor in dropping EGT's
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

If I can just jump in here with a few thoughts,
This post is an interesting read and I have to say that when I saw the posting of the GT2 pamphlet on-line, I was surprised to read about this manifold design concept as it does appear to depart from the norms of intake manifold design.
I hope I can clarify some of the discussion here by talking a little about manifold resonance design (and apologize in advance if this runs a bit long):
Manifold resonance design is the management of pressure transfer from left to right bank manifold for what is effectively natural supercharging. When the engine is running, there are pressure waves which travel back up from the intake valve through the intake manifold. When designing your intake manifold, you want to use these pressure waves to "push" more air into the next firing cylinder to increase the charge entering the cylinder and increase its power. Except for the manifold in discussion, Porsche intake manifolds are designed with this in mind. To increase the engine operating range in which this happens at an ideal time (the pressure waves travel at a fixed speed and therefore the distance that they have to travel will determine the RPM value at which all things line up perfectly), Porsche added a communication tube between left and right bank manfolds. When this tube is shut, the path is longer. When open, shorter and therefore a different RPM for natural supercharging.
Now, what the press release is saying about the GT2 manifold is that it is designed for the opposite effect. It is a bit of a simplification, but the diagrams shown in the topic starter basically show this by pointing to the valley vs the peak of the sinusoidal pressure wave. This means that when a cylinder is trying to draw in air (intake valve open and cylinder traveling downward), the pressure wave is traveling away from that cylinder. (By the way, the ideal gas law that has been discussed does not include the effects of a fluid in motion. Fluid Mechanics is a field all its own, and a complex one at that and I can get into that more if needed, but I'll skip it for now.) So, since you are pulling the air into the combusion chamber at the same time that it is trying to pull away from that chamber, it expands. When it expands, the temperature will drop. This has been indicated by the gas law discussions, but there is another greek letter which is influenced by this situation. Rho, or the density of the fluid. When this air is expanded, the density will drop as well as the temperature. In the area of combusion, this is a bad thing. Lower temperature is good as this gets you farther away from the cusp of pre-ignition, however the lower density doesn't give you as much oxygen to burn. Less oxygen means less HC (gasoline) can be combusted with it, and therefore less energy and less work. So, how do you get around this problem? Increase the boost pressure.

I think this might answer the intial question which was asked.

However, the most interesting question (for me) is "Why did Porsche take this approach on this vehicle/powertrain?" This is a VERY hard question to answer from an armchair and really would require some "inside" information from the development team on why this tact was taken. There are many, many factors which could be players in this final decision on building this car with an "expansion manifold."
I do not believe that this is a marketing invention to sell the car. I also believe that the basic reasoning is sound, if a bit unconventional. Is it the best choice forward? Well, time will be the judge of that. If this is a one-off, then the expected theoretical benefits were likely not realized (or were realized, but at a unacceptable price). If we see more expansion manifolds in the future Porsche line-up, then maybe they figured out something we all missed. It might be worth a check on www.sae.org in April to see if Porsche release a paper explaining their work on this manifold design. (Kinda like a Journal of Medicine for Automotive Engineers)

I'm not sure if this helps or hurts.

Quick Reply: GT2 expansion manifold