Sponsored by:

another smoking question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy another smoking question

I have a stock 993TT with 18,200 miles and just had the oil changed last wed. Drove the car that night on the pallisade parkway...running great no issues. Sunday night, I get a craving for sliders and start up the rocket ship...no problems until I drive a few blocks to get on the FDR and as I am nearing 96st and first ave, my baby starts smoking like crazy like she was on fire...i pull into the shell station and shut it off. I wait a few minutes and decide to drive back to the garage and park it. I take the car back to my mechanic still smoking but not as bad as Sunday night...he drains oil out of it so now the level is slightly above the first twist and he supposedly put on new porsche filters. I picked up the car yesterday and decided to go for a spin tonight. No more smoke on start up or while idling stuck in NYC traffic however, as I was creeping along on the FDR in second gear lane opens up and I give her some gas...car spews smoke like a diesel and then I grab third gear. Sorry for the long story, I figured some context was needed. Appreciate any suggestions.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Sounds like it was over filled and you have residual oil puddled in your intercooler and/or hoses. You should pull the intercooler and the turbo intake pipes and check for small puddles of oil. Clean it all out and run oil level toward the bottom. Do you still have the original turbos on the car? Worst case is that the turbos might be shot and leaking oil past the seals.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Most repair shops don't have the correct filter on the shelf?? Did you see the Porsche filter in the light colored grey box with the Porsche name written on it?? Did you see the Porsche script on the Oil Filter?? Crawl under your car and take a peak.. Grab a flashlight and borrow your wifes handbag mirror and take a peak.

If you guys don't do your own oil changes call your local Porsche dealer and order your own Genuine Oil filters.. Order 2 sets.. Because if your mechanic tightens it to hard or installs a Mahle oil filter which is the filter that all the shops order from the wholesale parts warehouses.. You will be doing it again and again and again..

In the process your are destroying your turbine sealing ring. The oil burns off and cokes up the seal.. And on top of that you are destroying your CATS..
Old 08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

What Kevin said is right on the money, as always.

I assumed your mechanic installed the correct filters and tightened them properly. You should tell him they should only be 'hand tight' and not too much. And make sure they are the correct genuine porsche filters. I would pull the intercooler and clean everything out, some mechanics are also notorious for overfilling like crazy! Ask me how I know.

Jay
Old 08-05-2007, 04:33 PM
lumpy
Racer

Thanks for the help guys. I am pretty sure the turbos are original. I'll check the oil filters to see if they are porsche or mahle. I don't have the tools or the space to pull of the intercooler and hoses...just have to take it back to the shop. Jay, I see you are in New Jersey-do you know any trustworthy mechanics close to NYC. Thanks again.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

There is only one mechanic that I take my car to, only in desperation. They are very good with everything and I drive over 40 miles to get there. They are Powertech in Rockaway, NJ. They are a rennlist sponsor.

Jay
Old 08-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Green993tt
Intermediate

Another smoking TT after oil change :-(

It didn't even smoke after the 4 months "winter rest", now it smokes after a day or two.
I lowered the oil level to minimum with no improvement, I guess it must be a broken filter (which are Porsche original).
Question: Can it be any of the 2 filters or is it always one of them that gives the problem?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It'll be the filter on the engine and it should only be hand tightened.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Felix, can you post the link showing us your great pictures of your filter.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Felix, can you post the link showing us your great pictures of your filter.
Done! https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/368438-smoke-on-starting-from-a-defective-or-damaged-oil-filter.html

Quick Reply: another smoking question