Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 993TT Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 993 TT!! Enjoy reading and seeing your transformation. Are the CF pieces overlays or are they OEM parts covered in CF? Keep the information coming.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vrus
I ordered the stainless steel sport cat system and a set of high flow mufflers to go with them.. These are 2.5" from Turbo to tailpipe instead of the restrictive factory setup..

This should shed approx 50lbs from the back of the car... :
I assume these are fvd parts? Is the 50lb savings a guesstimate or a reliable number they quote? And any idea how this weight savings splits up between the mufflers and the rest of the bits?

Thanks ... b
Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Wow the FVD stuff looks like Fabspeed.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:30 PM
vrus
Racer

This is how the list breaks down so far:

Fabspeed
------------
- Sport cats
- MaxFlow mufflers & 4.5" oval tips
- BMC Air filter

FVD
-----
- Recaro Seats
- 340mm Daytona steering wheel
- Aluminum Rings

MaxSpeed
--------------
- Aluminum Pedals

AutoBarn
------------
- LLoyds Custom Mats

Marcus
-----------
- Carbon Fiber Interior

Rennline
-----------
- Odyssey 925T lightweight battery & aluminum mount

Currently pending vendor selection
----------------------------------------
- Engine Buildup: Full 3.8L P&C, built bottom end, revised oil pump (GT3 maybe), twin plug heads ported heads, oversized valves, BIG turbos ( ), headers, oil cooler, clutch & LWF, strengthened transmission w/revised gear ratios

- Intercooler: looking for the ultimate intercooler

This is where I am at right now... Lots lots more to come.. Hoping to have my monster go-kart done in the next 2 months.

BTW, I welcome any and all input ... I am especially interested in hearing some input on the engine build since I want to make sure I do it right and do it right the first time..

---------------------------------------------------

Nope.. The mufflers & sport cats are from Fabspeed.. I get those parts at a discount also.

The weight is an "estimate".. I am going to weigh them tonight and then compare against the factory pieces once I do the swap.

Originally Posted by bb993tt
I assume these are fvd parts? Is the 50lb savings a guesstimate or a reliable number they quote? And any idea how this weight savings splits up between the mufflers and the rest of the bits?

Thanks ... b

LOL.. No no.. They are Fabspeed.

Originally Posted by Barney1
Wow the FVD stuff looks like Fabspeed.

Last edited by vrus; 08-15-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
vrus
Racer

Now... Any of you that already know me, know I report the good, the bad, the ugly...

So far, there is 1 thing that I am not-so impressed with.

The Recaro seats...

1) These things have instructions that could use a little more detail.. There is not enough clarity in what they are trying to explain and the pictures are a bit small.. The parts list is not labeled so you cant quickly see which bolt, bracket, or nut they are referring to. Prepare yourselves to go through a few bottles of beer and alot of insert & removal while installing these things.

2) The seat rails on the bottom of the seat that mount to the portion on the car only allow for 4 bolts to be used instead of the 6 that the factory uses.. Not to mention the new bolts Recaro supplies are half the height.. They do pre-lube the bolts with red loctite, but still...

I am not sure if this posses any strength or impact issues, but it is 1 thing that I dont like.

There is 1 thing that really isnt a big problem, but you guys should know.. The 340mm steering wheel is just small enough and just thick enough that it obstructs the view to the speedo now. The factory wheel is sized the way it is because it clears the speedo.

Be prepared to make use of the digital speedo alot more.. Just thought I would point that out.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I thought so.. I have the same Mufflers and I'm putting Blouch Turbos and Fabspeed Cat. delete pipes. I need more sound. The Fabspeed mufflers a way to quiet for me. sounds like moms mini van.
By taking out the cats I should here more RUMBLE...and have faster spool.
Your car is coming along sweet...major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 PM
vrus
Racer

What???? TOO QUIET????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Oh man.. I was hoping they would rumble a bit more since they are a flow through design.. Its just a muffler can with a u-shaped tube in it.. The Gemballa mufflers I have now are quiet... They perform well, but hardly any sound comes out. (Sort of like the RUF ones)

Great.. There is a slight possibility there will be a pair of these mufflers for sale soon then.. LOL..

Originally Posted by Barney1
I thought so.. I have the same Mufflers and I'm putting Blouch Turbos and Fabspeed Cat. delete pipes. I need more sound. The Fabspeed mufflers a way to quiet for me. sounds like moms mini van.
By taking out the cats I should here more RUMBLE...and have faster spool.
Your car is coming along sweet...major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

vrus, very ambitious project, thanks for sharing

Who is building your motor?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:13 PM
vrus
Racer

Thanks Scott!! I am not sure who's building it yet.. I am still at the research stage at this point.. Trying to make a final "wish list" of what I want in this motor.

Originally Posted by Bradford
vrus, very ambitious project, thanks for sharing

Who is building your motor?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
vrus
Racer

Guys.. I need your help with Rollbar selection...

I was thinking of using this aluminum rollbar that FVD sells.. I am planning on having it painted Polar silver to match the exterior...

Any comments/suggestions/input?? Is Aluminum over Steel a good idea or not?

I want a complete bolt-in bar.. I dont want anything that requires welding.. What do you think?

Last edited by vrus; 08-01-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by vrus
BTW, I welcome any and all input ... I am especially interested in hearing some input on the engine build since I want to make sure I do it right and do it right the first time.. ..
Damn, you are in serious action!
Try to avoid Fabspeed headers - very crab quality. Mine are totally misaligned and I have written to them many times to ask help but they never answer anything..
If you want easy and good TS conversion with properly head and valve job with interlocking frame rings, contact Turbokraft. Chris also welds heads with extra aluminium to prevent blows.
He has also good source to Bob's ICs, they are half of Secan's price.
I have almost identical specs than you already installed and I'm very happy
With that GT3 oil pump - remember to make room for it by taking material off from blocks and remember to test fitting it before clueing blocks together.. somebody didn't test fit properly and got big job again - don't ask who
Which turbos you have in your mind? GT2871R are very good choice if you aim is 700hp. GT30s are a bit too big for street usage.
Remember also chop your air filter cover because GTs need a lot air. So much that you also will need new MAF.
Also try to enlarge inlet pipes from MAF to turbo as big as possible to release stress from turbos..
So these were first things what came to my mind.
Good luck and be careful with rebuild
Old 08-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

I have the stock cats and the Fabspeed mufflers and it sounds like moms mini van.. Trust me.
Those muffler del. pipes make it sound like a motor boat. I dont like that. I'll let you know how it sounds by removing the cats. I have to do a re-tune after all of my upgrades.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the heigo bar is no PCA Club Race legal. Just a heads up in case you are thinking of racing
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

looking good!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
vrus
Racer

Ahh my good friend from Finland!! Thank you for the input..

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if twin-plugging is worth all the added expense and cost... I dont mind spending the money as long as there is a beneficial return.. I am trying to quantify what that is exactly...

Originally Posted by js-911
Damn, you are in serious action!
Try to avoid Fabspeed headers - very crab quality. Mine are totally misaligned and I have written to them many times to ask help but they never answer anything..
If you want easy and good TS conversion with properly head and valve job with interlocking frame rings, contact Turbokraft. Chris also welds heads with extra aluminium to prevent blows.
He has also good source to Bob's ICs, they are half of Secan's price.
I have almost identical specs than you already installed and I'm very happy
With that GT3 oil pump - remember to make room for it by taking material off from blocks and remember to test fitting it before clueing blocks together.. somebody didn't test fit properly and got big job again - don't ask who
Which turbos you have in your mind? GT2871R are very good choice if you aim is 700hp. GT30s are a bit too big for street usage.
Remember also chop your air filter cover because GTs need a lot air. So much that you also will need new MAF.
Also try to enlarge inlet pipes from MAF to turbo as big as possible to release stress from turbos..
So these were first things what came to my mind.
Good luck and be careful with rebuild
The car's duties will be confined to "spirited street driving" with occasional visitation to the track (road course and 1/4mile). The roll bar is something I want for aesthetic reasons and also so the 1/4mile track manager wont kick me out when I post a 10sec 1/4mile..

Originally Posted by AndyT
the heigo bar is no PCA Club Race legal. Just a heads up in case you are thinking of racing
Thanks Dan!! When the rest of the interior bits are in and the ancilliary pieces are installed (mufflers, exhuast, etc) I'll show you some of the progress in person!

Originally Posted by Turbodan
looking good!

Last edited by vrus; 08-15-2007 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: My 993TT Project