Sponsored by:

Engine Leakdown #'s?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin
0 to 6%, (3 and 4% being the norm lately). 7, 8% leans towards guides with issues. 9 thru 12 requires pulling the check book out..
Kevin,

I know there are lots of factors, but based on above:

7-8%, "guides with issues:" Need to fix for sure? and if fixed @ how much $ would one be looking at?

9-12%: "pulling the check book out" for how much: $8K? $15K?

for a leakdown on an otherwise OK PPI, typically what leakdown % is the maximum you would accept?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I would not accept anything over 4.. This means 5, 6, 7,8 or 9 thru 12 needs a topend..

5 thru 8% equal blowbye and things sliding down hill.. Guides don't heal themselves.. They get worse as time goes on..

Hope for the best and 2 to 3% leakdown
Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Kevin (and anyone else who wishes to chime in):

leakdowns are showing 1-2%. Good news.

But, it turns out the car has a replaced rear bumper cover that was originally red and sprayed silver. The current owner states he does not know of any accidents, though he is the 3rd owner (FWIW, Carfax is clean with no accidents).

And the mechanic emailed some pics to me to show some oil stains underneath.

Here are some pics from the PPI.

http://mail.google.com/mail/?disp=im...47549157f17b85

What do you think? Are the oil stains excessive and concerning, or pretty much as expected in an 11-year-old 993TT, in your opinion? I've not peered underneath a 993TT (try "never") as often as you have, obviously....

Last two pics show the hints of red in the edge and in the scratch, suggesting the rear bumper cover was not original.

Would you be majorly concerned about the above pics and findings? The car is 70K in miles and priced in the low-middish $50K. For that price I do not expect pristine showroom condition, but I want it to be strong mechanically. The leakdown info is comforting but the above oil stain I don't know how bad or OK they look. It is stock all the way.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You need to repost the pics..

Like I mentioned in the about post, you should take the car to a bodyshop now and see what "really" happened. If it was a minor bump don't sweat it. If the frame rails got slammed, you need to know. I'm not to concerned about the used bumper being put on. Any rear damage would get me looking a little deeper.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

New site for the pictures

http://www.pbase.com/jimhsu/993tt

(click on each thumbnail to enlarge; select "original" for maximum picture size when opened)

Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Left lower(exhaust) valve cover gaskets are leaking. It also appears that the left chain housing is also weaping a bit. The engine looks stock with no evidence of any mods. Stock turbochargers. It would have been nice to see if your wrench pulled the inlet tubes to each turbocharger. But the clamps look un touched..
Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Would you be looking for oil in the inlet tubes to turbochargers? I think he mentioned that he did pull those: I can ask him what he saw.

And the weeping and leaking in the valve cover gasket, chain housing: I know lower valve cover gaskets are potentially a DIY or not too bad to have a wrench do. How about the chain housing?

The owner tells me he adds a quart of oil per 3000 miles. Does that sound reasonable and these pics do not contradict that? Also, does the amount of leak in these pics alarms you, or does it look like the "typical" leak that many here on rennlist will often live with for months until the next time a chance to do some work comes by? I've never looked underneath a 993 before, therefore I am not familiar with what the "typical" amount of oil stainage looks like.

I will ask the mechanic to have his body shop colleague look over the frame to ensure no major frame damage exists, given the uncertainty about the reason(s) for changing bumper cover.

Thanks Kevin!

Last edited by jimhsu; 08-20-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

I believe that people often have something done during bodyshop PPIs where a tool is used to measure paint thickness in various places on the car. This can identify if a car has been repainted. It would probably be a good investment, as you may find other body panels that have been replaced/repaired.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Good point. I will mention that paint thickness gauge test to the body shop guy when I speak to him.

Anyone here who has experience looking underneath a 993: can you give me your input as to whether these oil leak/weep areas look too severe, and I might be looking at work specifically for it in the next 1/2 to a few years?? Safe to drive back home across country?

http://www.pbase.com/jimhsu/993tt

(click on each thumbnail to enlarge; select "original" for maximum picture size at the bottom when opened)

Thanks! Really appreciate anyone's input since I've never seen the "911 oil weep" before.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jim;

The pictures shown have nothing to do with possible high risk areas of the engine..

You need to be looking at the cylinder base to case area, and more important, the cylinder head to cylinder liner area.. Are they all dry??

Has the slave cylinder been replaced?? Accumulator, clutch, power steering rack bellows and seals? How are the rear wheel bearings..
Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Thanks Kevin:

I am very glad to see that what was shown is not what you would consider "high risk." I will recheck with him on the clutch, rack bellow, rear bearings, etc. But he did mention that the above oily spots are the only ones he saw and the only areas of concern to him.

Whether this car or another, another 993TT in Pacific NW will be needing your local expertise, hopefully soon....

Jim
Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Kevin , my car had been stored for a year prior to a Leakdown test being done , what effect might this have on numbers? It was reading around 5 on all cylinders.I also had a dyno test which showed full power.Car didnt smoke so i bought it.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The only true answer to your question is to put some miles on your car and do another leakdown test. I don't know if you are going to put your car away for the winter?? Driving it all this summer might yield you 4%.. If your valve guides are wearing you could be slipping to 6%.. It is what it is, vs praying for thing to heal themselves. Which one must away have some repeatable testing prior to having or establishing a baseline.. If you have a good running car with no issues and you have 3 to 4% in all cylinders and you get a hole that is reading 8 or 10%.. I'd definitely run the car hard and recheck it.. At the same time, having consistant numbers across the board whether it be 4% or 6% validates the testing in my book.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Thankyou Kevin - your view is appreciated.
I have put 4k miles on the car including a trackday with no issues this year.
The car has 13k miles total ( ex sultan brunei )
Another leakdown at the end of summer seems on the cards then.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Engine Leakdown #'s?