Sponsored by:

L/W flywheel Ugh!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:57 AM
EddieM
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L/W flywheel Ugh!!

Hello all, I have recently purchased a 97 993tt and am loving it - except for the light weight flywheel. Using the car as a daily driver I find the driving characteristics tiring and as I don't intend to track the car a dual mass is, for me, the way to go.
Can anyone suggest where I can get the dual mass flywheel - short of paying an arm and leg for the orginal item. Appreciate any comments.

Eddie
Melbourne, Australia
Old 12-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Red9
Racer

I can probably help.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:03 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

What are the driving characteristics you don't like?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:48 AM
EddieM
Track Day

Felix, being less than an ace drver I have been known to stall it at the lights--much to the amusment of surrounding motorists, not to mention the alarm of my wife.

Red9 , would be very happy to hear from you, what do you suggest?
Old 12-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Any idea what clutch disk is fitted with the LWF? If it's a "normal" non-racing clutch it should be possible to get used to the lower interia of the LWF when starting off. But a racing clutch that's "on" or "off" will make stop and go driving a challenge, particularly if it's hilly.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:18 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eddie,

Have you also experienced the other problem I understand can exist with these - when the engine dies when you're coming to a stop? As I understand it this is caused by the engine dropping revs so quickly that the idle valve does not have time to catch the drop and take over control.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Eddie,

Is the engagement point of the clutch (as you let it out/up) short?
that is why others have asked what clutch you have (and you may not know).
It is the combination of a ltwt flywheel with a short engagement clutch disk (like I had,
and hated), that can make it particularily exasperating.

MK
Old 12-11-2006, 09:38 PM
EddieM
Track Day

Brian, no the engine never dies , I used to have a 964 also with a L/W flywheel, and the revs used to fall so quickly the idle control couldn't catch it and the motor would die. Luckily this dosen't happen with my 993 but the clutch take up is very sudden and when stopped on a hill with an eager driver behind it very hard to play the clutch and throttle and avoid embarrasment!

Eddie
Old 12-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi Eddie and welcome.

Tell us more about your car? PICS!!! where is it from?

I have a LWF (ViperBob kit) that I changed out form the OEM unit. I too have had a few issues but it just really takes time to get used to it. (I want to keep my DMF - sorry)

I know PCSS have just changed one out for a guy - Let me check for you and see if the old one is still available.

Best,

Simon.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

There are many versions and options that different tuners use for a LWF clutch kit. If you use a non-sprung clutch disk your engagement will be horrible. The clutch will react like a light switch.

If you use factory components and the correct ones you should have a good pedal and near stock engagement.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:19 AM
EddieM
Track Day

Kevin and Simon, thanks for the replies. The car was delivered to Bribane, Australia, but before delivery it was worked over by Fitzgerald Racing, a local tuner here in Melbourne.
They did the L/W flywheel and clutch, chip, coil overs, exhaust and additional oil cooler.With all this going on I suspect, Kevin, that the clutch chosen would be a racing type - it certainly has a mean bite!
Simon if you have any luck would mind sending me an email ---- eddiem@virtual.net.au

Many thanks,
Eddie
Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Eddie, it doesn't have to be that way.. Like I said, it most likely is the wrong clutch disk.. With the power assist you could have a clutch that is made for a Peterbuilt truck, and it would regulate the pedal. However, with a non-sprung disk, you loose your engagement.. All of this can be cured..
Old 12-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kevin
There are many versions and options that different tuners use for a LWF clutch kit. If you use a non-sprung clutch disk your engagement will be horrible. The clutch will react like a light switch.

If you use factory components and the correct ones you should have a good pedal and near stock engagement.
I got my clutch & LWF setup from Kevin and never had any problem with short engagement of the clultch or stalling.

This was one of my concerns when thinking about switching to LWF and thanks to Kevin for setting me up with a great set up... I'm very happy with my LWF.... loads of fun.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:12 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that you can't just swap out the LWF for a dual-mass one. I believe you'll need to replace the clutch also. Experts, is that correct?

It's quite a spendy modification...

Quick Reply: L/W flywheel Ugh!!