Sponsored by:

Help! Limp mode, low boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 11:42 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Help! Limp mode, low boost

I searched the archives, and there are several of you that have experienced the problem of low max boost pressure. In my case, (50,000 miles on 1996 TT)I never see more than .6 bar, although I've just blended some 100 octane gas, and will try some experiments later today.

My question is... how did you guys resolve this problem? I don't see any posts that describe the solution. Was it an ECU reset? Was there some hardware issue? Please let me know the resolution.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:25 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve - it could be any number of things - from an inaccurate reading by your boost gauge to a failure in the turbos to the ECU putting you in limp mode (although I think most people refer to .4 bar as the standard limp mode number). My suggestion would be to stop by a Porsche shop that has the ability to check your engine codes. A decent shop should not charge you just to plug in their computer for a moment. That should diagnose ecu or engine issues.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:59 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Bill,

Well, I took the car out this afternoon, and got full, .8 bar boost in the three top gears while going up a slight hill. So now I'm not sure if it improved as the result of blending some 100 octane gas, or if my previous experiments were flawed. Still didn't see .8 bar in third gear, but I'm not sure I had enough of a load on it.

My conclusion is the car is probably fine, and the owner is just a tad paranoid.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:00 PM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have experienced the same problem. I took my car to the dealer, and turns out that my mass flow air sensor wasn't working properly. So they replaced that, and I will be picking it up tomorrow morning. You should take your car to a good shop and have them check it out. Fortunately for me I had bought an extended warranty when I purchased the car, so the warranty company paid for that. Also my rear hub went out of spec, and they replaced that which was also covered by the warranty company.. I forgot I had it and a few months ago i had a leaky valve cover gasket fixed which cost $850.00. I paid it not realizing that it was covered under the warranty.

Quick Reply: Help! Limp mode, low boost