Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 TT - help on results of PPI

Old 01-12-2002, 11:06 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts
Post 993 TT - help on results of PPI

My friend (an experienced Porsche technician) performed a PPI on a 96 993TT. 28K miles. I wanted (still want) the car but need advise from others on how to interpret some PPI observations.

- about 6-8 oz of oil drained from the intercooler upon removal.
- about 6-8 additional oz of oil drained from the passenger side turbo when we removed the (excuse my ignorance here) turbo intake hose.
- the driver side turbo exhibited a few signs of leakage but no oil drained out as on the other turbo.
- compression on 4 cylinders was at 145-150 which is normal. 2 cyls were low, in the 115 range.
- leak down also failed on these same two cyls.

Both my friend and the service manager believe the results were due to carbon buildup on the valves. My friend indicated that the carbon may or may not flake off and if it did not would lead to premature valve "burning" etc.

Anyone want to comment or help me out? I am just looking for a few more folks to tell me to "run away" to finally rid my mind of this car.

Thanks to all.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:10 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris,

You already know the answer but ok!The turbo thing is not good at all.The seals are shot.Anything beyond a slight film inside the silcone hose is bad news. Poor compression too?Hmm! How many good TT's are out there without those problems? Circle Porsche replaced my right side as a warranty thing and stated the turbo was $3k plus misc parts & 7.6 hours to install. Hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts
Chris;

Roland is correct in regard to the turbo's. See my post in the 993 board. The question that I have is what did the leakdown show as the failing component, valves or rings?
Old 01-13-2002, 04:14 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. I'll pass on this TT!!

What I CAN say as a result of a few test drives is that I will not have another 996 (except maybe a Cup car) in the future. The 993 is built like a brick s--thouse vs the 996 even though I can thank the 996 for introducing me to Porsche ownership.

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 TT - help on results of PPI