Sponsored by:

993TurboR or 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 01:04 AM
wheel guy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993TurboR or 996TT

Brand new to the Porsche scene. I told myself I'd wait until I was 30 before I bought my first Porsche. Well, don't want to sound snobbish but I can't wait that long. Driven a stock 993TT, raw and semi-unrefined power (compared to my M5), but I could get used to it. Have access to a good deal on a Ruf Turbo but never driven a 996TT, any thoughts?
Thanks guys, good to be here.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:02 AM
Wayne 993TT in France
Intermediate

Well it all depends on what you want really.
The 996TT will be the most refined of all, but won't involve you so much. The 993TT is a great car and is as fast as the 996TT. If you can afford the Ruf then I'd get that. 490 bhp and sport suspension,seats,detailing will make it a very very quick car and very sporty though won't be as confortable as you M5. But you can't really compare a M5 with a 911 unless you intend to just pose around or do drag strip starts all the time.
What do you want?
Old 11-13-2001, 10:10 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wayne 993TT in France:
<STRONG>Well it all depends on what you want really.
The 996TT will be the most refined of all, but won't involve you so much. The 993TT is a great car and is as fast as the 996TT. If you can afford the Ruf then I'd get that. 490 bhp and sport suspension,seats,detailing will make it a very very quick car and very sporty though won't be as confortable as you M5. But you can't really compare a M5 with a 911 unless you intend to just pose around or do drag strip starts all the time.
What do you want?</STRONG>
You get some pretty bitchin interior colors like green leather with the Ruf too, as well as some great build quality in addition to Porsche excellent craftsmanship. The smaller details always amaze me in those cars. The 996TTs an awesome machine too, much more civilized. I've ridden in both and I have to say I like the 993 more, but the 996 has the gets-women-super-fast factor (i'm sure his M5 has that too though) to it so depends on what you're looking for. God, i wish i could be going through this dilemma, maybe after i graduate from college and the 997TT is on the scene =).

later,

amir
Old 11-14-2001, 12:55 AM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Back in the day when the Acura NSX showed up on the scene, David E. Davis Jr. then of Automobile Magazine commented that the NSX did everything effortlessly. I'm paraphrasing but what he said was close to this, "I'm not sure I really want a car that my thirteen year old niece can drive competently on the street or track."
I think that may come close to summing up the ownership experience of a STOCK 996TT when compared to the older model/generation Porsche Turbos. Besides that, the 993TT is just curvier and and therefore sexier.

Look on the 996TT board though and you'll see that those guys are doing all kinds of stuff to put the hair back on the chest of their 996 beasts.
Anyway, just my two cents.

K

Quick Reply: 993TurboR or 996TT