Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 993 turbo with 100k+ miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 09:20 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a 993 turbo with 100k+ miles?

I know at 100k the air cooled engine is still good to go for another 100k.

But what about the turbo and related parts and plumbing? Are you looking at tired equipment on an engine that is still roaring to go?

Old 11-02-2006, 11:19 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rufus has 106,000 miles, but the total Ruf conversion was done at 86,000 miles. In my case, Ruf would only warranty their work if they could split the case and start fresh. From the description I have heard, everything was in great shape. Here is what you might run into:

Turbos: typical turbo life is about 75k miles... depending upon how they are cooled after use. Worn turbos are actually a good thing, because you can get Kevin to rebuild them at very reasonable expense and get more horsepower.

Clutch: A function of the skill of the driver. May last 20k miles, may last 200k miles.

Brakes: Pads and rotors: depends on their use.

Suspension: after about 30k miles, the original shocks are toast. Also a great time for a nice upgrade.

Steering rack: might be leaking. needs to be checked

Clutch slave cylinder: a diabolical device on a 993TT. Might need replacement if never done.

Clutch accumulator: no biggie, but they all seem to fail after a while.

aux fan resistors: get corroded and fail.

main engine wire harness: There is a recall to replace the harness on some early builds. Its free. See if yours is done or needs to be done.

With a car with 100k miles, the condition is largely determined by the care and feeding by the previous owner(s). Frequent oil changes, care when warming it up, careful shifting, some good, hard driving, and careful cool down are the keys. Look at the records... did the P.O. skimp or keep after everything? And of course, get a complete PPI.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I was going to say talk to Steve......................but he has SPOKEN!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned several exotics, and when I bought my 1st Ferrari I was once told...

"if you look at the mileage you can estimate how much matience work the car will need. if it has 20k miles on the clock... expect it needs 20k dollars worth of work, if it has 50k miles then estimate 50k dollars of matienace work."

I bought the Ferrari anyway... that guy turned out to be pretty darn close... (it had 16k miles on it)

well -you should see my point... if the reciepts for the work are not present, then factor in the matienance cost to the purchase... see if the car is still a good deal...

(i'm sure the Porsche is not a dollar per mile like the F-car... possibly .25 to .35 cents a mile? )
Old 11-03-2006, 06:21 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ima2nr
I have owned several exotics, and when I bought my 1st Ferrari I was once told...

"if you look at the mileage you can estimate how much matience work the car will need. if it has 20k miles on the clock... expect it needs 20k dollars worth of work, if it has 50k miles then estimate 50k dollars of matienace work."

I bought the Ferrari anyway... that guy turned out to be pretty darn close... (it had 16k miles on it)

well -you should see my point... if the reciepts for the work are not present, then factor in the matienance cost to the purchase... see if the car is still a good deal...

(i'm sure the Porsche is not a dollar per mile like the F-car... possibly .25 to .35 cents a mile? )
A friend of mine got given a 1972 Aston V8 as a present. That car, in the first 6 months cost him $100 a day to keep on the road. Hate to say it, but after driving the car, it so wasn't worth it

Don't know if he still uses it, but thank god the 993TT ain't no old Aston.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:14 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's one in the classifieds:
http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval

Last edited by IamSMC; 11-06-2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like a well sorted car and might make a great driver. With higher miles comes more maintenance on various parts. If the car is well looked after it should last for some time.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:04 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know much about this car? What is the consensus on the high miles? The car sounds like it is well sorted out and very well maintained.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Cor2nir
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that car earlier as well noticed the price was in the C4S range. I contacted the seller and asked him various questions but even for me I think its too high mileaged for a daily. The car is a 3 owner car though and appears to be very well maintained and taken care of. The owner trying to sell the car has had it for 5 years I believe.

Corey

Quick Reply: Buying a 993 turbo with 100k+ miles?