Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters replacement, engine still noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 11:58 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lifters replacement, engine still noisy?

Had a ticking noise from the engine which was pretty loud before (almost embarrasing to drive). Had all 12 lifters replaced at a pretty heft cost and got the car back today.

I can still hear a faint ticking at idle that gets pronounced at 1,800rpm, but then cannot be heard above 2,000rpm. I'm wondering if this is a normal noise that I'm super sensitive to now that I've had a repair done.

Can someone confirm if their car also makes a ticking noise at 1,800rpm? I don't want to take it back if it's normal. As a side note, with the new lifters and new plugs in place, the car feels smoother and it feels like timing is being advanced more (engine has better pick-up and response). Perhaps the lifters were tricking the knock sensors into believing their was excessive knock?

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2006, 12:04 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

YThe sounds you hear are identical to mine. at around 1800-200 rpms it is noisiets then it quiets down. i am picking mine up today and we replaced all the lifters as well. What i am describing to you is how it sounded before i had the lifter job done. i'll let you know how it sounds when i pick it up

Sebastian
Old 07-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

If the shop did not soak the lifters overnight in oil you will have this problem. If it is lifter related, the noise will decrease.. Did you have a fresh oil change? New filters?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:58 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi Kevin,

I want to first thank you for always providing amazingly concise and accurate answers to all our questions. You and Steve are, without doubt, two of the most helpful and selfless people I have ever met online.

I'm not sure if the shop soaked the lifters. We did do a fresh oil and filter change as well as gear and differential oil (didn't want the diff to break like our rennlister with the black fluid in his diff!). The shop replaced all 12 lifters. The first time around, there was still a lifter that would not pump up and was replaced (it was defective). The second time, the shop still felt it was too noisy and asked a friendly shop nearby to bring by their 993TT they had in for service. They thought both cars made the same noises.

Why would new lifters get quiet after a period of time? How long do you suggest I give it before deciding to take it back? Thanks Kevin!
Old 07-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If they DID not soak the lifters overnight, you will have failures.. You have to bleed the air out of them.. This has happened to me, (1998) I lubed them and installed them, but did NOT soak for more than 12 hours. Needless to say, I was back in replacing them.. 5 out of twelve.. You can feel the spongy rockers..

Air must be bled from the lifters, if not the oil will not flow through the lifters on start up.

You might also want to look at your valvetrain, and rule out guide wear. These cars are aging and worn valve guide will contribute to the noisy valvetrain.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:12 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi Kevin, checked with the shop and they soaked them in oil, although I'm not sure if it was overnight. The noise is definitely related to the lifters replacement because I was previously getting loud noise from the driver's side, now I'm getting moderate noise from both sides. Shop also ensured that the right 993 lifter was used as there are apparently several different lengths. The mechanic is top notch, so I'm not worried about his workmanship.

Is there hope that these will quiet down or should I take it back to take apart?
Old 07-15-2006, 10:13 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

I picked mine up today after the lifters were replaced and it sounds much better. All porshces tick a little bit, i wouldn't worry too much about it especially if you have a reputable mechanic. My uncle's new 997 ticks a little and it has 600 miles.

All the best

Sebastian
Old 07-15-2006, 10:58 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Took the car for a long drive (>100km) with varied RPM's, etc. and there is still ticking. When I get near the engine, the passenger side sounds harmonious, but the driver's side has an obvious ticking. Perhaps a lifter or two are not pumping up. Regardless, it's going back to the shop for them to have a look. I'll let you know how it turns out...
Old 07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Thought I'd give you a quick update. Driver's side bank of cylinders are still noisy, specifically the exhaust side. There is a distinct ticking to the car. Poor mechanic has gone in and out four times now trying new lifters, etc. in hopes that the new ones he put in last week were somehow defective. I feel bad for the guy, he's spent over a week on my car now, including his weekend!

Unfortunately, the ticking is still there, so now he's going to look at the rockers to see if they are bent, but more than likely, I'm now preparing for valve guides needing replacement. Even though my car only has 40,000km, it has seen a lot of track use, probably 30 track days in its life. Temperatures here in Toronto are also pretty extreme and when stuck in traffic, the heat builds up fast.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that it's just the rockers, but my money is on the guides being worn

I wanted to give a special thanks to Kevin for giving me tons of advice and help behind the scenes!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Further update for those doing searches in the future. Replaced rockers that had some wear and still the same ticking noise... so the motor comes apart this week in hopes of finding worn valve guides causing the ticking. If they are worn guides, I'm going to shoot them myself to tiny pieces with a gun I don't own yet...

The car has 40,000km on it and lots of track use, which I'm assuming contributed to the early demise of whatever is making the noise in the engine. I'll keep you updated, but I am a bit annoyed at the car this year, slave cylinder, accumulator, valve cover gasket and the oil filter fiasco that took 3 filters to resolve and made me a hated man when I set off the fire alarm in the condo complex at 1am on a weekday...

Sometimes I think it's a sign to trade in for a new 997 GT3...
Old 08-13-2006, 02:17 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Yet another update for future searchers. Heads are off and all the exaust valve guides are toast. Cam sprocket teeth were also worn. Should have the car back end of next week, I'll let the list know if the tapping noise is gone.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

wow what a saga i hope eveerything is ok, i know your feeling i just replaced the lifters and may also have to replace the accumulator
Old 08-13-2006, 02:22 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

sfbachs, the accumulator was only about CAD$500 installed on the car so you won't be out too much cash.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A suggestion to those that are looking to replace the accumulator.. Please make sure that your slave cylinder is not leaking.. If it was my decision, I would replace the slave and hose at this time also.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:35 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

The final update. Got the car back after having the following done:

Remove engine.
Re&re cylinder heads.
Send for machining and install new valve guides.
Re&re piston cylinders and check rings end gap.
Install new rockers (3) and lifters (12).
Install new seals and gaskets.
Check clutch for wear.
Install engine and transmission.
Diagnose low speed fan.
Remove fender liners and replace fan resistors (both were toast).

The total bill came to an eye watering amount The good news is that the car runs perfect now, no more ticking noise, just the usual mechanical noises that all 911's make. Let's hope it's smooth sailing from here! Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Lifters replacement, engine still noisy?