Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

6 years later?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I would add the A/C as the evaporators do go bad like all 993s and just not limited to turbos. Cost me $2K
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

and....

Steering rack..
Hydraulic lifters.
Alternator.
Clutch slave + accumulator.
Rust bottom of front and rear windows.
hood Shocks.

We see patterns of other failures as well, but they are not often enough to be considered "common". Most of the issues are shared with the NA cars as well.

The Turbos seem to be resistive to the SAI issues though, and are a bit cheaper on tune ups (6 plugs/1 rotor/1 cap vs double that), but have higher running costs due to slightly higher maintenance and higher gas consumption.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
6 years later?
I was just seaching and read on this site....
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

From personal experience I'll add failed actuators to that list as well - boost drops back to 0.5 bar as a result........ together with (and also from personal experience)
- ignition leads
- clutch accumulator
- power steering pressure lines (from the pump)
- IC hoses
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
From personal experience I'll add failed actuators to that list as well - boost drops back to 0.5 bar as a result........ together with (and also from personal experience)
- ignition leads
- clutch accumulator
- power steering pressure lines (from the pump)
- IC hoses
What was issue with your actuators Stewart, rusted up?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

One actuator had 'failed' (the language used by the indie for non-mechnically inclined owners such as myself) completely and the other was changed to make sure they were balanced (changed for GT2 items as he had them available). I understand it is not uncommon for them to fail; I assume seals internally must degrade and eventually cannot maintain sufficient pressure to hold the turbo wastegate closed to allow sufficient boost pressure to be maintained. I sure someone can chime in to better describe the issue.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
One actuator had 'failed' (the language used by the indie for non-mechnically inclined owners such as myself) completely and the other was changed to make sure they were balanced (changed for GT2 items as he had them available). I understand it is not uncommon for them to fail; I assume seals internally must degrade and eventually cannot maintain sufficient pressure to hold the turbo wastegate closed to allow sufficient boost pressure to be maintained. I sure someone can chime in to better describe the issue.
The wastegate is held closed merely by the spring pressure inside the actuator and how tight the adjusting screws are wound in and it's air pressure from the N75 valve that forces it open.
I replaced mine with good used ones as the new price is unreal. Then followed advice on one of Kevin's posts and wound the screws in a few mm, to get a tad more boost. Cheap X50
Old 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Realistically, as a piece of machinery reaches the point where it has been in service 10, 20, 30 years... you're going to add *every* component to this list.

IMO these arent "things to watch for", they're just common sense. Anything that can wear out *will* wear out over time (seals, hoses, springs, etc). It isnt alien technology. This applies to *every* car. "The list" can be basically posted for all cars and be the same. If its rubber, or moves, eventually (obviously) you're going to replace it.

I think people genuinely terrified of that (like the OPs mysterious friend) really have no business owning a classic car and should just stick with leasing a new one every 3 years and being perpetually under warranty on something that will never age long enough to need it. Which Im sure he went ahead and did eventually since it was 6 years ago!

Quick Reply: 993 TT normal failures