Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As if I didn't have enough to do....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:14 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As if I didn't have enough to do....

My Hazet tool order arrived so it looks like I will be spending the extended weekend installing the Bilstein PSS9s. I have a couple of questions;

Can I assume that Jeff Snyder's fantastic Suspension DIY applies to the 993TT and the install of a complete Bilstein Coilover (not just the shocks)?

Once I get into the rears it probably will be self evident as to the proper orientation of the aluminum hats but anyone want to provide some proactive guidance?

My goal is to achieve ROW ride height (~1" lower than US spec). Any tips on the most efficient way to achieve this? Jeff's DIY utilizes M030 springs so I can't just set the Bilstein spring perch incrementally lower and expect to have ROW ride height once the suspension loaded. I am hoping I can get close without having to do a lot of trial and error on and off the lift multiple times. I want to get it close and then take it over to my local shop so they can check out the install, dial in the ride height and do a proper alignment/corner weighting.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks- Matt

I am installing the Bailey Diverter valves while I have the intercooler, etc., off for the rear coilover install.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:09 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

I'd spend the extra dollars to have your car corner balanced.. You can dial in the basic ride height, then let the boys with the scales zero it in for you..
Old 06-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

What do the new diverter valves do for you?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Tim,

New diverter valves (blow-off valves) don't do anything for you.... unless you have a leaker. Then you will be losing boost. The factory ones are plastic, the billet ones are nice. I had a leaker, and now have fresh billets in Rufus.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Would I sound cool like the ricers? POOOOOF SSSSSSSSSSS
Old 06-27-2006, 12:19 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

sadly, there is no poooooooooooooof sound... the diverter valves divert the spilled off boost back into the exhaust, upstream of the turbos. its a cool system.... except no cool noises
Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got my PSS-9s set at ROW height, I'll crawl under there tomorrow and give you ballpark spring perch measurements.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I've got my PSS-9s set at ROW height, I'll crawl under there tomorrow and give you ballpark spring perch measurements.
911/Q45; I appreciate the effort and assistance. That's what I enjoy about this forum- people are willing to share their knowledge for the benefit of others. Good stuff!

911/Q45; did your Pss-9 rears come with the same aluminum hats and gasket?

As far as the replacement diverters are concerned, as stated by ca993twin, my application is purely prophylactic. Thanks to all for their replies/comments- Matt
Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'd spend the extra dollars to have your car corner balanced.. You can dial in the basic ride height, then let the boys with the scales zero it in for you..
Kevin- thanks, this is what I was trying to say when I stated "proper alignment/corner weighting" in my post.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:18 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the RUF setup, so different hats and curved sway bar links that go under the lower control arm in the back. Your links will only work with the stock sway bar and you'll have to trial fit your struts several times to get the mounts positioned correctly. My lower spring perch lock nuts leave 3" of thread visible on the rear and 3.5" on the front.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:29 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Matt you have an email.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:14 PM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
I have the RUF setup, so different hats and curved sway bar links that go under the lower control arm in the back. Your links will only work with the stock sway bar and you'll have to trial fit your struts several times to get the mounts positioned correctly. My lower spring perch lock nuts leave 3" of thread visible on the rear and 3.5" on the front.
911/Q45- thanks for your guidance.

TomF- got your email and replied; thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

Originally Posted by ca993twin
sadly, there is no poooooooooooooof sound... the diverter valves divert the spilled off boost back into the exhaust, upstream of the turbos. its a cool system.... except no cool noises
I thought they spilled it into the intake above the turbos.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

The BOV's are mounted on the rear intake cross over inlet manifold.. Contains the air filter and MAF assy. When the throtle body slams shut, the charge air pressure that is in the intercooler is diverted back into the rear inlet manifold that connects back to the inlets of each turbocharger.. You cannot blow the charge bypass air into the atmosphere.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Peter,

I'm no expert, so excuse any errors. The diverter valves come into use when you are into boost, and slam the throttle shut (like to shift, for example). All the pent up boost needs to be spilt off to avoid damage to the instake system. The boost is diverted OUT of the intake system. It could just be vented to the atmosphere (with the cool poof noise), but instead, Porsche dumps it back into the exhaust, just upstream of the turbos.... this keeps those turbos spinning faster, ready fir you to open the throttle again. At least that's my understanding.

<edit> and only one minute behind Mr. Smartypants, Kevin. Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

Quick Reply: As if I didn't have enough to do....