Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:26 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Questions...

Hi guys...

I've been a long-time lurker on the thread and have to say I've been very impressed with your knowledge, and obvious adoration, for your cars. So I need to ask a few questions.

Here's the situation: I've had a V8 Vantage on order for nearly three years now (don't ask), and have just been told (again) that the delivery date has been delayed. Also, I've been having cold-feet about a £90K car that could be worth half that in 3-4 years.

The 993 Turbo has always been my favourite Porsche, and, I believe, on of the most beautiful cars of all time. Also, factoring in its rarity (compared to 996/future 997 Turbos), the depreciation is negligable. Basically, I'm seriously considering one instead of the V8 - I now have the oportunity to cancel my order and have the deposit refunded.

So... to the questions. Basically... in a nutshell: should I. How is the car to live with as a daily-driver? Does it FEEL like a 10-year-old car. Is it safe by today's standards? Is it generally reliable (of course, dependent on regular servicing)? Do you ever look at other, newer, cars on the road and think "my god, I'm really missing out"?

Anyway, your opinions will be greatly appreciated... Cheers in advance!

And if anyone in the UK knows of a mint RHD, VERY low mileage Turbo4 or, god-willing, an "S"... PLEASE let me know!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 05:43 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I just saw a V8 Vantage for the first time the other day. A beautiful car, inside and out. Hard to fault that choice. But... I am not tempted in any way to give up my car in favor of the Aston. Its not just the economics... its the superior performance and intimate feel of the 993TT. Is it dated? Yes. It still has rain gutters and framed-in windows, fer gawds sakes. It has a very odd arrangement of switches and *****. But, by god, its a rip-roaring supercar with great reliabilty. Comfort (I'm guessing) would go to the Aston, as would the cup-holder count.

I see very, very few cars I'd be willing to swap for, and I can't afford any of those that come to mind. Good luck with your choice and your search.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Mr. Alchemist welcome to this board.

I might be able to give a certain perspective.. Three years ago I used to have a 2002 DB7 Vantage that I sold 6 months after ownership..The car is fantastic and very smooth, but quite unreliable, always small electronic issues (maybe I was unlucky).

The 993TT is a completely different car it looks and feels like an old mini cooper, albeit faster.

If you like real driving feel and raw performance, you are on the right track..Just don't espect the sort of luxury you will see in a Vantage.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think the depreciation on the Aston would just about pay for a 993tt in about 3-4 years. Properly serviced the 993tt is very dependable and, except for side airbags, has all the safety features of the newer cars. I marvel at the Aston's at my multi-car-featured dealer, but for an all around usable car would not trade the 993tt.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:44 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had my 993tt for 11 years now and have often looked at other cars, but just can't find anything better for my personal desires. At the track, as an instructor, I've driven virtually everything available in anger and haven't been seduced yet. Other cars may be faster, more comfortable or have more gadgets, but the 993tt has the best combo for me and is reliable to boot.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:03 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally only buy late model cars but I just had to have my all time favorite from the past. I too was on the list for the AM V8 but with all the delays I eventually bought an SL500 which to me is a similar car. Loved it, for about 2 months, I felt like I was wearing an Armani suit, that is when I realized that I'd feel the same way in an AM V8. These are great cars but they are more about show than they are about go. So, when a 993TT came on the market locally I traded the SL for it. Never looked back and am now hard pressed to think of a car I'd trade the TT for.

The car is fantastic in every way, but it is definitely based on old school 911 styling. The rain gutters are laughable, even when the car was new! Even the interior is old school 911; it is basically very similar to what it was when the 911 first appeared in 1964! Lots of little creaks and squeaks. If you want a modern yet classic ultimate 911, the 993TT is it

It definitely is not modern by any means, at least not in the styling, both inside and out. But it is still gorgeous, fast and fun. It is a great mix of modern and classic; lots of personality.

Mine has 40+K miles on it and it has been quite reliable; except for a faulty pulley that tossed belts until we figured out it was the pulley. Everything else was minor maintenance for a 9 year old car. It did need a good tuneup too.

When I drive it on a daily basis it is a fine car (I have others to choose from so I don't drive the TT to work or for errands to save some of the miles for more fun things like driving it in the country on the race track).

If I were you, I'd buy the TT and when the AM V8 is ready to order you will know whether to keep it or not. If you don't, you won't have lost any money Seems like a win win situation...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:40 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Thanks for the info guys... its greatly appreciated. I don't know why, but after three years of waiting, and yearning for the Aston, I've really been having cold-feet as of late (and the inneptitude of the dealer - the largest Aston dealership in the world - doesn't really help).

Basically, this is the bottom-line. I've only ever loved one of the cars I've owned, a 2000 S50 BMW M Coupe. It wasn't the best car I've ever owned by a long-shot (it creaked, the brakes gave up after two hard prods, the handling was dire - blame a live-axle rear suspension, and the fishtailing, though hilarious, would scare the bejeesus out of me daily), but it grabbed my heart-strings and ran with them to the extent that four years and four cars after it was written off (by my dealership during a 'debugging test drive'), I still miss it.

I've started seeing the Aston around and strangely it leaves me cold. Yes, its beautiful, but there's something rather cynical about its design, about the 2,500+a year they plan to make, and the fact that every wide-boy banker who got lucky with this year's bonus is already driving one. A great car? Probably. A car to fall in love with? I'm having my doubts.

Hence the 993 TT... beautiful, discreet, a 'real' Porsche, a future classic (if not so already)... and still one of the fastest and best-handling (I suppose - never driven one) cars on the road.

But... (there's always a but)... 3 years' manufacturer's warranty , and the peace-of-mind (and smell) of a new car.

Anybody know someone in London selling? I feel guilty going and snooping around if I'm not 100% sure, even though I know that's the only way I'll decide...
Old 06-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
But... (there's always a but)... 3 years' manufacturer's warranty , and the peace-of-mind (and smell) of a new car.
For those 3 years manufacturers warranty you probably get 3 years where the TT will hold its value. So for the deprecation amount of the Aston, you could another TT as a "spare car" if you'd like..

Regarding if the TT is the right car or not, there is only one way to find out. Find a 993TT owner in UK who'd be willing to demo the car. Just don't go with Tobys rocket, it's pretty far from standard..
Old 06-18-2006, 07:50 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

So, I guess the question is this: any London 993TT Rennlisters feel like giving an undecided newbie a guided tour of the car?

A drink at the pub will most definitely be offered in return!
Old 06-18-2006, 08:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Can I suggest a new thread with the subject "any London 993TT Rennlisters with a 993TT?", and see what sort of response you get. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:28 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,861 Likes on 2,398 Posts

I've owned, a 2000 S50 BMW M Coupe. It wasn't the best car I've ever owned by a long-shot (it creaked, the brakes gave up after two hard prods, the handling was dire - blame a live-axle rear suspension, and the fishtailing, though hilarious, would scare the bejeesus out of me daily), but it grabbed my heart-strings and ran with them
_______
i got the same car and i too loved all its idiosyncracies.
but trust me, you will love 993TT.
both got wide wide ***.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 AM
jtpsocal
Instructor

Bought used with 20k miles....drove another 20 k miles in 3 years Brakes and oil change..nuff said...

Quick Reply: Questions...