LWFW being installed today!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LWFW being installed today!!!!!

Thought waaaay to much about the upgrade. In the end it is the increased WHP from reduced rotating mass that put me over the edge.

While many seem to disagree about the true benefits of the LWFW it was my harley mechanic who drag races all the time that swayed me. If he says he had better 1/4 times and trap speed with only lightning the FW on the harley then I am convinced. There are many other marques that claim the same.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be happy you did....Mine spooled up like I had removed 500 lbs. off the car....
Old 03-10-2006, 03:34 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Very good mod, you will feel it more in 2WD mode.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:05 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Jean,

Once I upgrade to larger tires and rims I will disconnect the coupler and drive it around like that to see how I like it. With the 285 rear tires that I now have the car was no fun when it was disconnected.

Tom
Old 03-10-2006, 06:38 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

285s. Come on Tom... GEt some 12" wheels with some 335s.... They do fit.....

So is Rob putting it in? You will like the results, but I am sure not the bill. How many hours of labor are they charging? Did they pull the motor? Turbos aren't that much tougher than non 4wds, and can easily be done with the motor in (and hence NO alignment required. Also saves several hours of labor).

Last edited by viperbob; 03-23-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Why do you keep calling me Kevin?

Rob at SCARGO did not pull the motor. They were able to do the work quite quickly. As for the price I can't say exactly how much. I have helped out on some other things for them so lets just say I am VERY happy!!!

Yes some 335's would be nice. I am poor/cheap so I am waiting for the rite set of fiskes to come along.

Tom
Old 03-11-2006, 12:01 AM
Dave911G
Rennlist Member

It must not be common knowledge that this job can be done without pulling the motor on a turbo. A highly recomended shop in Portland, Oregon did mine last June and charged for pulling the engine & transaxle. They didn't list the hours on the invoice, but the labor was $1700. How many hours should it take?
Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Tom,

Whose LWFW did you buy? Clutch and PP? Looking forward to your impressions as this is something I'm considering in the near future.

Thanks,

-Jeff
Old 03-11-2006, 02:48 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave911G
A highly recomended shop in Portland, Oregon did mine last June and charged for pulling the engine & transaxle. They didn't list the hours on the invoice, but the labor was $1700. How many hours should it take?
It sounds like you were charged "book rate." Who was the shop?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:12 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Arrgghhh Tom I'm so sorry. It is the weirdest thing. I look are your spinning Turbo avatar, and for some reason I think of another customer Kevin with a Red Turbo. I think that you avatar has hypnotic effects... If you are looking for used wheels, then you may have a long wait. Most places tell you that a 12" wheel will not fit on the TT, but it will... So no one buys them that size...
Old 03-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Dave911G
Rennlist Member

The shop that did mine was Stuttgart Autotech in Lake Oswego. I don't think they were dishonest about the work they did, they just didn't know about a shorter hours alternative. Steve at Rennsport sent me to them when he couldn't find time to do it. The parts came from Rennsport, which Stuttgart also gave me a not so nice upcharge for. They were pretty unfriendly about me bringing my own parts. There are a lot of shops in pdx, so I won't be going there again.

The improved throttle response is absolutely worth spending the money on this upgrade. I've read a lot of complaints about difficulties getting the car moving away from a light smoothly, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. It is different from the dual mass, so there is a learning curve to adjust your technique. I'd say I had it about right by the third light after leaving the shop. There may be something to the parts you choose to use that impacts this issue, so consult with the experts before you buy parts.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Dave - doing the clutch in a turbo is about a 7-8 hour job due to the issues with the torque tube. Most books charge at around the 10-12 hour level to do it by pulling the motor. I charged $125 / hr at my shop so the a clutch job was around $1000 labor... There are other things you can do at that time like bleed the clutch, or refill the transaxle with Mobil 1 which would be additional costs...
Old 03-11-2006, 08:06 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
Tom,

Whose LWFW did you buy? Clutch and PP? Looking forward to your impressions as this is something I'm considering in the near future.

Thanks,

-Jeff
I have the RS lightweight flywheel. I am using the sachs organic disk and the 800 FP GT2 pressure plate. Pedal effort is the same as stock. Engagement is the same as stock with slight adjustment for the lightweight flywheel.

I can't say enought about the tranformation of the car. It is soooo much more lively. It really perks the response up!!! When speed shifting it is easier since the motor also revs down faster.

This mod is rite up there with my K24/T3 super 60 turbos as far as really transforming the car. Almost no downside (IMHO). I can't believe the car did not come this way stock.

Tom
Old 03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Arrgghhh Tom I'm so sorry. It is the weirdest thing. I look are your spinning Turbo avatar, and for some reason I think of another customer Kevin with a Red Turbo. I think that you avatar has hypnotic effects... If you are looking for used wheels, then you may have a long wait. Most places tell you that a 12" wheel will not fit on the TT, but it will... So no one buys them that size...
I have a line on several sets of fiskes. The ones I want have 265's in the front and 315's in the rear. The rear rim looks like it will take more tire though. It all a matter of working out the price. I am not to cash rich at the moment.

Bob since I have your gaurd LSD in my car would this be a good combo for 2wd and 335 rear tires? Will I still spin the tires in 2nd and 3rd gears with the larger tires and 2wd?

PS Stop looking into the turbo!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K24madness
I have the RS lightweight flywheel. I am using the sachs organic disk and the 800 FP GT2 pressure plate. Pedal effort is the same as stock. Engagement is the same as stock with slight adjustment for the lightweight flywheel.

I can't say enought about the tranformation of the car. It is soooo much more lively. It really perks the response up!!! When speed shifting it is easier since the motor also revs down faster.

This mod is rite up there with my K24/T3 super 60 turbos as far as really transforming the car. Almost no downside (IMHO). I can't believe the car did not come this way stock.

Tom
Wow

Do you have any part nrs..:?

Quick Reply: LWFW being installed today!!!!!