Sponsored by:

TT sold from under me (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Ezzy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT sold from under me (rant)

Had a TT in CO I was interested in, e-mailed back and forth with the owner. The last item was the PPI. He was to take it in Thursday for a PPI at the shop. This morning I get an email, someone flew in from San Francisco, had it PPI'd and is supposedly buying it. I'm really ticked. Put a lot of work into it, checking the history, talking with the tech that would do the inspection, and gettting the shipping quotes. I had already lined up a shipper if everything checked out.

Someone obviously worked him (I'll buy it right now!!!) or he doesn't have integrity. Bummer. Sorry for the rant, had to vent a little. I'll find another one soon enough.

EZ
Old 12-07-2005, 03:18 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that sucks! Especially after all the time and effort you put into researching the car. I'm sure you will find another one.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM
tlark
Drifting

Sorry to hear about that, I recall you searching for one. There have been problems with some dealers in Colorado especially around the Denver area, I had an issue too, as well and another RL member had to go to great lengths with a new 997 purchase.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ezzy: PM sent.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:12 PM
red993tt
Racer

Oh no that's horrible. Sorry to hear that. Put a deposit down next time.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Ezzy
Intermediate

There's two sides to every story. The other guy had spoken to him a week before, 1st in line. But my 1st contact from the owner was something like this "I'll accept your offer of $XX if you can have the inspection done quickly..." I just would have appreciated knowing I was the "backup".

No worries. It gives me more time researching the forums for good info. This is a great site with a lot of un-selfish people sharing advice. I feel fortunate to have found it. Thanks all for the sympathetic comments.

EZ
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 PM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel for you but to put it in perspective- I had my 993TT up for sale for 8 months. No luck.

Then in the dead of winter, a local interested party contacts me. He seems serious, but no more so than the 20 other tire kickers who came to see the car. He wants to set up a PPI later in the week and go from there, but doesn't put a deposit down or anything.

A day later, another party across the country contacts me and is hot for the car. I tell him someone is interested and will be doing a PPI in a few days. I tell him I will let him know how it turns out and we can go from there. He says, "Can we schedule a PPI for tomorrow? I will wire you a deposit to hold the car and I will offer you $500 over your ask. If the car checks out, I will wire you the balance and have a truck pick it up in five days."

How can I say no to that?

I contact the first party and tell him what has gone down, and I apologize he has missed out on the car. He is understandably upset, but he offers to match the offer and bring me a deposit that day!

Long story short, I end up in the middle of a bidding war. Not exactly the spot I wanted to be in, but I was happy to have a prospective sale.

The car went to the buyer from out of state for $1000 over ask. He was happy and so was I. The local guy wasn't happy, but put in my position I'm sure he would have done the same.

As a private seller it is difficult enough to sell cars, and no one in there right mind would turn down a serious, legit offer.

Sorry about your experience, and best of luck in the search. Hopefully it will just make the car you find that much sweeter!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Cor2nir
Racer

As far as that car in Colorado I called on it as well thought about it, but in the long run after running the carfax and seeing it been in an accident and the owner not having service records nor any stamps in the manual I figured I mine as well pass even thought the price was good. Wait for the right car trust me, I am as well as others looking for a 993 Turbo but this time, this will be my 2nd 993 Turbo, I am waiting for the right one. In the meantime I just send a check for a 993 C4S to cover my p-car cravings untill the right turbo comes. I am set on Yellow but I will not turn down a nice Blk/Blk Turbo. Best of luck in your search and if I run into something that looks nice and I don't want it I will let you know. Trust me wait for the right one.

Corey
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
EddieC
Rennlist Member

EZ - I guess everyone has a story. How about this one. About a year ago, I contact a seller (1996TT) and we talk about the car he has for sale. It is a great deal!! There's another buyer but he is being sort of vague about the purchase. He says he will buy it but he needs to get back with the seller in a day or two. No deposit. The seller is moving to Jacksonville and he really needs to sell the car before he goes. Well...........We make a deal. I go to my bank and wire him $2000 as a down payment and I'm sitting in the bank talking to my banker and I get a call on my cell. It is the seller of the car and he tells me that the first buyer has just called him and we no longer have a deal. You understand that I have just wired $2000 into his account about 3 minutes before I get the call. Well.....I guess you could say I didn't like the way things were going. I thought I had just been hosed for $2000.

The long and short of it was everything worked out fine. (Except I did not get the car) The seller turns out to be a real good guy. He felt he was going back on his word with the first buyer and he didn't feel right about that so he honored that arrangement. He refunds my money and we go our separate ways.

I wanted to scream at the time. But, it could have been worse.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

EZ,

Welcome Brah... no worries. If that's how it went down... it wasn't meant to be. What color combo are you looking for, hi, low mileage, etc.

Btw, where are you on Maui... We used to live in Wailea. You're very lucky.

Good luck and the right car will be there for you.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT

Btw, where are you on Maui... We used to live in Wailea. You're very lucky.
Tony,

I did not know that you used to live in Wailea.

That's practically heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned. As far back as 1995 I had thought about buying a lot at the golf course there and design/build a home there. Never pulled the trigger and obviousely missed the boat.

Love to return to the Kea Lani one day. Boy, wish I knew you back then.

CP
Old 12-08-2005, 01:07 AM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I called on it as well and passed for similar reasons. It's sad how many of these cars either have 0 service records, accidents (that even show up on carfax), or other stories.

Originally Posted by Cor2nir
As far as that car in Colorado I called on it as well thought about it, but in the long run after running the carfax and seeing it been in an accident and the owner not having service records nor any stamps in the manual I figured I mine as well pass even thought the price was good. Wait for the right car trust me, I am as well as others looking for a 993 Turbo but this time, this will be my 2nd 993 Turbo, I am waiting for the right one. In the meantime I just send a check for a 993 C4S to cover my p-car cravings untill the right turbo comes. I am set on Yellow but I will not turn down a nice Blk/Blk Turbo. Best of luck in your search and if I run into something that looks nice and I don't want it I will let you know. Trust me wait for the right one.

Corey
Old 12-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Originally Posted by CP
Tony,

I did not know that you used to live in Wailea.

That's practically heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned. As far back as 1995 I had thought about buying a lot at the golf course there and design/build a home there. Never pulled the trigger and obviousely missed the boat.

Love to return to the Kea Lani one day. Boy, wish I knew you back then.

CP
Pong,

Yup... wished we were still there. Jodi had the worst Island fever after the first year. We had a place at the Grand Champion Condo (with ocean view) on a 96 holes golf course.

We made many friends there and believe it or not have not been back since we left the island in 1996. But that will end next year as we have a family vacation planned for Maui and hopefully a hop over to visit kkim too.

Kea Lani is definitely paradise, we often hung out at the Grand Wailea (that's what it was called back then). I think its the Grand Hyatt now.

Do you want to meet us there next year??
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

We may go back to Maui next year, especially if we don't go to New Zealand in February. What month is your trip?

CP
Old 12-08-2005, 03:33 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

The iteniary is still open... We booked a week stay at the Four Seasons. Since the early part of 2006 will be quite busy for us (moving, etc.) probably the summer or fall of 2006.

Quick Reply: TT sold from under me (rant)