Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock Choices

Bilstein PSS9 or Moton Clubsport?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Having just recently done the upgrade, can't say enough about the motons. Definitely pricey but really about the 'trickest' system out there and from what I've learned durable enough for the street. There's a number of threads on the motons, here's my contibution

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/234939-motons.html

Ryojo
Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by canysmc
Bilstein PSS9 or Moton Clubsport?

Great question, but it all depends on precisely what you are doing with the car,....
Old 12-02-2005, 02:00 AM
red993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSS9 is a much better choice all around unless you are planning to race.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:19 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The two shocks are not even in the same league. One is for confident comfortable street driving, with the ability to do some track. The Moton is a world class race designed shock that can be driven on the street with some slight drawbacks for comfort. I personally love Motons, and had them on my street/track car. I have sold a number of them also to folks striclty tracking, and others to folks that do drive them on the street. Motons you will find will also cost about 2-2X the Pss9s. What are you planning to do with your car?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Öhlins
Old 12-02-2005, 11:41 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Great question, but it all depends on precisely what you are doing with the car,....
QUOTE=viperbob]The two shocks are not even in the same league. One is for confident comfortable street driving, with the ability to do some track. The Moton is a world class race designed shock that can be driven on the street with some slight drawbacks for comfort. I personally love Motons, and had them on my street/track car. I have sold a number of them also to folks striclty tracking, and others to folks that do drive them on the street. Motons you will find will also cost about 2-2X the Pss9s. What are you planning to do with your car?[/QUOTE]

I was hoping either one of you both would chime in, But I'll gladly would love to hear both of your opinions.

Currently my 993tt rides way too soft. Too much squat and dive. Looking to enhance the suspension with a goal towards DE, not racing in the near future, but hey you never know.

In comparison to my prior 930, that had Bilstein valving that matched the 23mm/30mm Sander tubular torsion bars, monoballs and urethane bushings front and rear, smart Racing sway bars and a camber truss. I loved that setup and never felt the ride was harsh on the street and it handled like a dream on the track.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 PM
RL Technical Advisor

IMHO, unless you are doing a lot of DE events or racing, Motons would be a waste of money.

You'd be surprised how much better these cars become with a set of PSS-9's and RS adjustable swaybars, followed by a proper cornerweight job and a GOOD alignment.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
IMHO, unless you are doing a lot of DE events or racing, Motons would be a waste of money.

You'd be surprised how much better these cars become with a set of PSS-9's and RS adjustable swaybars, followed by a proper cornerweight job and a GOOD alignment.
Steve: Thanks for your honesty. Especially since you sell both. I guess the PSS9/RS setup is by no means far from an ultimate setup. But are you saying that if one does alot of DEs, the Motons would be the better choice?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:52 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Steve: Thanks for your honesty. Especially since you sell both. I guess the PSS9/RS setup is by no means far from an ultimate setup. But are you saying that if one does alot of DEs, the Motons would be the better choice?
LOL,...Well, you'll get a lot of opinions on this so all I can do is offer mine,..

I think that one must do a LOT of DE events before one takes full advantage of what they are capable of doing for you. The right suspension decisions are founded in how much experience and skill a person has. Each one carries some caveats to consider.

1) Moton's are geared toward the experienced driver and cars used primarily (>60%) for track usage.

2) One must also realize that race components carry no warranty and multi-purpose components do,......(USA-sourced Bilstein's carry a limited lifetime warranty).

3) Like Bob said, Moton's (and other race shocks) are in a league of their own for car control but require some driver efforts to set them up. A good vendor will provide the proper spring package and initial setup information to get you going and provide a suspension system that will perform the desired "mission".

4) Bilstein's are easy to install and setup. Within certain limitations, they work very well and far better than other street-based suspensions. The ride quality is good and can be tweaked for a variety of uses.

5) Bilstein's have no short or long-term demands for maintenance. No gas pressures to check and no rebuilds to deal with. Set & forget; plug 'n play.

All that said, Moton Clubsports can be configured to work very nicely in the dual-purpose role of street & track if they carry the appropriate spring package and setup. Each and every person's situation will determine what is right for them since these decisions are not a one-size-fits all kind of thing,.....

I hope this helps a bit. Please contact me directly if you need further assistance.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:03 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It is not just the amount of track time you have, but also it is related to your ability. If you are a very experienced driver running in the Red groups all the time, then you will notice a big difference with the Motons. If you are an intermediate driver, then PSS9s will be more than sufficient and the Motons would not help.

Once you go the Motons route, you really need to know your car and have a good handle on vehicle dynamics. Since you can independently adjust the bump and rebound along with fine tuning in the gas pressure, you need to know when these need to be adjusted. Adjustment is crucial in order to get the most out of the shocks. Otherwise you may find that they could be slower than PSS9s.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:15 PM
orleyd
Rennlist Member

Rassel voted for Öhlins, which are used by Ruf. The Öhlins rep told me the front struts outer bodies are aluminum instead of steel as used by most others.

They are more pricey than the Moton Club Sport but less than the full race Motons.

How do they compare to Motons?

Dave
Old 12-04-2005, 05:05 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

JIC/CROSS....they are also aluminum...very light, with 15 settings at a twist of the dial. I've been running them for over a year and are very responsive.

Just another setup to look into.

Jaime
Old 12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dave,

The last 993 GT2 EVO competed on Öhlins.

Dunno how to compare them with Motons, but Öhlins have been used in many cases as reference in chassi development. I don't know the price range of Motons, but a good set of Öhlins can cost $6K. I think they are way overdoing it for street/track and you really need to focus on ultimate solution if they should be worth their price.

My .2c

Last edited by Rassel; 12-04-2005 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Stick with the ones mentioned in the thread and buy them from somone like Steve @ Rennsport
who can give you invaluable info over the phone! (try to get that from your seller on ebay!)

Marty k

Quick Reply: Shock Choices