Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jean.. about your sister's 'ride'.. 3.8 Evo 2wd ;_)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:50 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jean.. about your sister's 'ride'.. 3.8 Evo 2wd ;_)

Got her this weekend... Todd broke her in for me so it was lust at first touch....

... Hopped in, dragging my approaching middle aged a** into the fixed back recaros... warmed her up and played with all the belts and such... actually idles better than my 3.3 with the webcam 20-21 cams... and sounds very different...

60ish degrees, sunny.... let out the silly no feel clutch (after my 935 piece it was a little strange)... drove it around the neighborhood to get the feel of the power steering (stupid me likes manual)... 1.05 bar springs in the Tials. (and FYI fo r others around 8.9ish static compression) 500-550 ft.lbs between 3400 and 6400 RPM

...pulled away from a stop going up a slight hill... hammered it at 2500 rpm... instant HURL you back in the seat acceleration and fractions of a second later tires screaming and starting to go sideways... a little counterlock, lightly grab second and floor it agin; it sidesteps and spins newish 295 Pilots ... grab third and 70 MPH in mere seconds.. up a hill.... YEHAAAAAAAAAAA.. NOOO lag... insane... may as well have been a Cobra kit with with a crate 460/535HP, 5 speed, 3.55 gears and 2400 lbs.... ... feels like a NA car.. which I have had tons of... NEVER had a turbo in 20 years run like this

..... initially thought it toasted my 930TT, but when I actually looked at speeds on roads I open it up on, I'm back to this whole issue of gear ratios.... this car FEELS SOOOOO fast and is... and ultimately is faster than my 930, but only margianlly when I ran 1.4 boost...

But it's the 6 speed vs g5050 issue.. it spins me a little with these huge torque motors... 3rd in this car is essentially 2nd in the 930.... so the 10-90ish runs are 2 gears vs 3.... will do some 60-130's before it gets cold since it broke the tires loose in third several times under acceleration...

.. I STRONGLY advocate 2wd.. the pitchability and nimbleness on back orads is heightened greatly and it feels much lighter tah 4wd.... it's a whole 'nother car... still a little 'comfy and elegant' for my tastes, I like raw cars, She's growing on me.... I may pull the PS and maybe power clutch... dunno... unless there are tech issues I'm not aware of... I'll wait unitl spring to decide...

.. that's the quickie...

e
Old 10-26-2005, 07:17 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

AWESOME! Congrats have fun and drive safe.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Ed

Congratulations! Funny how you compare it to a Cobra, I had the same feeling, the torque delivered feels exactly like a V8 only at higher revs it just goes...
Now, you are comparing to an animal of a 930 that you had, not a stock TT, and to be able to beat that 930 is not a joke.
I know Todd likes to remove the power steering and clutch, he did so in a few cars and strongly recommended me to do it, but I want a slightly civilized car. It is a fairly simple thing to do apparently, will save weight, and increase hp.
Another 2WD fan Do you have a 40/60 LSD in there? Concerning the gearbox, I think you will get used to it, the only thing I would change is a taller 1st and 2nd. gear, although that involves a considerable cost as you have to change the mainshaft. I am about to do that.
Another option is to sell your gearbox and fit a reinforced (shaft and synchros) 3.6T 5 speed gearbox, which will give you better quartermile times if it is one of your hobbies. The two fastest Porsche Qmilers that I know of in the US have the 5 speed box. With this kind of power you will never need one more gear to keep the engine in the right torque band.
Please do a video and let us see how it screams and drives!!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:13 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Jean, and MR. Schnele ;-)

Thanks!.. I think my rig is lower revving and a lower rev range which you alluded to when you saw th edyno run... than yours... because of the turbos...amazingly, the way the power drops off at 6600 I haven't even bounced off teh rev limiter....but I know that would change with bigger turbos , injectors and possibly a cam... though I will run into the divider network limit of about 650-660 HP and ?570-590 ish TQ.... and have to go pressure sensing if I want to go higher HP/TQ... and I may just stay with MAF ... I would love to swap drives (post mods) with your rig to see teh difference since most of the variables would be identical...

I think they're (garretts) actually running out of steam at 6500... the theory possibly supported by the torque curve... the other thing I haven't been able to get my hands on is the actual cam grind specs.. It is my understanding that the EVO is not that wild.. I think less so than the 'normal' 2021 webcam Todd likes....

I may eventaully get a g5052 to get the LSD particularily on decel.... at this power range and above, which I will be doing in near future, LSDs can make the car a little twitchy.. I can hear/see the track guys wincing.... at 600-750 HP, which is sorta meaningless except in a straight line... i'm not sure it's needed... but since I want to track more and will run lower boost, I may get the LSD and shaft/gears or 5 speed... ironically I'm sure I can sell my 7900 mile g64/51 and get the parts and 5052 for a few sheckels more...

... btw, no quarter stuff.... I do want soem vicious 60-130 times though.... though Davey Knebes will probably own that forever... since you travel around, why don;t you go to Florida and drive the 1000HP top speed monster.. I know the owners girlfirnd a littel and can make an intro.... you also want to drive some of the MAP 3.5's in early light chassis's if you haven't... I have seen a slight difference even against my 3.3... with same trannies.... there is a killer WIDE body 89 for sale with tons of goodies... lo miles, BEAUTIFUL.. HUGE wheels, perfect interior.... leather recaros, blah blah... basically as stupid as my 87 except with a wilder body/wheel... 3.5..

regards, E
Old 10-27-2005, 12:58 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ed,

The engine you have is like my engine without pressure sensing and without the big injectors.
It is limited to 605hp by the injector flow rate. You have 36lb compressors, so they're pretty maxed out at that power level. They're good for another 10-20hp maybe. But the response is like a big block na car! Performance up top suffers greatly therefore, but for your usage, it seems that it is exactly where you want to be. You will not be able to see amazing times in the 60-130 even if you turn the boost up because of these limitations, but I would expect you to be in the low 7 for sure.
IMO, the EVO cams are an excellent compromise for a wild street ride, they idle perfectly at 1k RPMs.
If you find a G50/52 gearbox and you don't want it please let me know it wouldn't hurt.
DKnebes time was at very high boost, that he might be able to maintain for a few seconds, impressive, but not how I view real HP.
I know a couple of guys with TTs that can get 900+ HP during a quartermile run and run in the 150mph and below 10s, there is also a 964 3.6T.
I am not into that as well, but I find it interesting nevertheless.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:25 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

.. agreed on all.... If you want me to look for a 5052 for you let me know...

Jean,

... if I'm not in the 7's I'm gonna be sad... I think my 0-100 with a soft launch was in the 6's or possibly 7's last week.... I want to get her weighed... -4wd, -engine weight, -flywheel, -seats.. hoping she's around 3050-3125....

Regards, Ed

e
Old 10-27-2005, 02:27 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Ed
Thanks for sharing your car details and fun, I am fascinated by the Protomotive stuff
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you guys know if a 2wd would be faster around a track than a 4wd? I'm thinking of making the switch...
Old 10-27-2005, 02:35 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

TB,

Happy too... I love your posts ... and if i had to pick a color and body I think it would be yours.... and my house is a wannbe of yours... :-)..

no offense Jean, but I am not a fan of big tails... (on cars)..:-)

.. what size wheels and tires are they? (I think they are the same pattern speedlines as my old 930 TT) 10-13X18?

There are lots of good tuners.. I just LOVE Protomotive and crew... he/they has been a true friend and has ALWAYS been there even when he makes nothing out of it.... and if it's horsepower limits and knowledge coupled with copious amounts of hands-on knowledge and practical advice he's amazing..

e
Old 10-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ed
I don't like big tails either on cars What made me do it is 1) the original GT2 look 2) fitting the intercooler and 3) the increased downforce for the track. One of these days I will change it.

As far as the speedlines, I just installed the same as TB's on my car so much I liked the look on his avatar, these are original GT2 and dark grey magnesium centers, beautiful but fragile like TB has learned so well unfortunately. I am amazed at the weight difference (including tires) vs. my Cargraphic.. My Speedlines: 9X11 and 235X295. The Cargraphic 10X12 and 265 X 315, huge difference in weight (sorry did not have a scale handy).

You are right, I think you might be just below 7 seconds, I have Lexan and no sunroof, but I have a full roll cage, and that was with the huge Cargraphic, so we might have the same weight.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Woodster
Drifting

ED, thanks for the fun details and please post a video, I would really like to hear it,
and I will post my video soon as well. (my buddy just got Sony's new high definition
video camera @ $ 1900). I too am fascinated by Todd's stuff and what he has been
able to do on his own, WOW!!,super cool.
Marty K.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Jean, time will tell..

Woodster.. Thx, I will do a vid if I can... I'm happy to talk about my stupid exploits whnever anyone wants... We'll form a Todd K fan club..... it's tough to replace 15 years of Motronics knowledge..

Ed
Old 10-31-2005, 07:03 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Acrop.

Sorry missed your post... There is a long thread on 2wd.... ohters are far more qualified to speak.. but several , Viperbob and others mention the issues with FWD over 500 HP which I agree with.... it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive this way though... it's a whole differnet car.. and ultimately you can loose 150+ lbs when you drop 4wd, power clutch and steering ...

Quick Reply: Jean.. about your sister's 'ride'.. 3.8 Evo 2wd ;_)