Sponsored by:

Clutch $ 5k sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch $ 5k sound right?

Well after this episode... https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/210541-bounced-off-the-guardrail.html
I got the car back about the 3rd week in August 05. About 2 wks later was back in my riding looking and feeling good. As I approached a stop light, an older fellow in a Cadillac CTS V came up 2 lanes over. Hum i thought... I wonder if hes gonna get on it. Light turns green i go he goes, not really hard thought.... accelerate gradually faster through 1st great... hit second....glance over he doesnt hit it hard... and then finally i see him jump on it... I jump on it, go to power shift into third gear......nothing...... im like wtf? Try to put it in third again barely get it in gear... by now the cadi sees me slow down and proceeds down the road in a normal manner.. I get to a stop light it turns green im doing about 35 struggling toget into gear, finally takes 3rd gear again.... The next light I stop, put the clutch in tried every gear ... and would not engage. I get out of my car in the midldle of a busy intersection and pushed it across the intersection to the other side of the street. Pisssssed offf beyond belief... Pushing this car..... Call AAA they come and tow it to Hoen Porsche here in Carlsbad. Turns out I broke the shift fork.... Get a call later and they tell me I need a whole new transmission. $ 10k,,,, are you kidding me? $ 10,000 for a transmission. I literally shiit myself. Well lucky for me when I bought the car I bought an extended warranty. Highly Recomend !!!! They covered all but about $ 800.00. Sweet Im saved.. But wait.... I needed to replace the clutch so i have them go ahead and do that. So my ride has been in the shop since the 3rd week of August waiting for the dealer to calll the warranty company, so they could send out an adjuster. So Hoen had to order the transmission from Germany. They get it 2 wks ago and were about to put it alll together, and noticed that someone had dropped the flywheel, which cracked and chippped some of the teeth off, so they order another one, and it came in Monday of last week. So now Im waiting for the dealer to receive a check from the warranty company, and my service guys calls and updates me. So I ask well how much am i gonna have to pay ... and he replies " Oh uh just under $ 5k." Does that sound a little high for a clutch and an alignment? I mean i should only be paying for parts right? The transmission is already out getting serviced so they shouldnt have to charge me for labor on the clutch?????? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Vince 97' 993 TT; 10-06-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

List price for a new factory clutch/pressure plate/ and dual mass flywheel with a release bearing is about $2200. Since the tranny is out, they can't charge more than an hour to do the new clutch. There are only 15 total bolts to take off and install. $5k is nuts... And I would have NO IDEA how you could chip a tooth off the flywheel. The thing is steel and incredibly tough. I throw them around all the time and have not been able to damage one of them.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Vince 97' 993 TT
Instructor

List price for a new factory clutch/pressure plate/ and dual mass flywheel with a release bearing is about $2200. Since the tranny is out, they can't charge more than an hour to do the new clutch. There are only 15 total bolts to take off and install. $5k is nuts...

Should i approach the dealer on this, and ask them ... and where could I get the stuff for $ 2200 ?

And I would have NO IDEA how you could chip a tooth off the flywheel.

They said it was dropped and cracked... and chipped off teeth
Old 10-07-2005, 10:08 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

sounds like the dealer is trying to charge you for the flywheel THEY dropped AND normal labor for a clutch job even though they already being paid to do the tranny. can you say double dipping?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:12 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I noticed in your other post that you have a LWF setup. The flywheel for this is only about $500 and the starter ring gear is just over $100. You are being royally screwed. It would be cheaper if they put it all back together and I flew out there first class and replaced it for you. You would still save a couple $K.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:56 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Funny,

We never wait for the check from a service contract company before we do the work. as long as we get authorization we start. Did you buy the car and Service Contract from that dealer?

Quick Reply: Clutch $ 5k sound right?