Sponsored by:

Now I know why I have 2 fuel pumps !

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Now I know why I have 2 fuel pumps !

I feel a little dirty even making a post with the tragedy which has happened, like most people on here it makes me feel sick in the stomach, such a waste and all in doing and enjoying what all us like minded Rennlisters do - truly terrible and very much in my mind
I had been experiencing the engine cutting out under overboost in 4th,5th and 6th. As the revs hit around the 5K mark and the boost swung towards 1.3 to 1.5bar it would judder, the engine protecting itself by killing the spark (I think - that's what it feels like) then clearing after the high torque range and reving out viciously. It turns out that I have a dodgey second fuel pump relay and the engine is not recieving enough fuel at peak torque hence the cutting out. New relay problem gone. I am pretty sure that the torque levels at this overboost level must be in the 800-850NM level (rather that the WOT engine dyno run 736NM)
I am doing an exiting experiment next week which will involve evaluating a new intercooler and a Maha chassis dyno during which I will attempt to ascertain the overboost numbers
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. Good choice on dynos. Make sure to have the dyno log boost and fuel.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:47 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K24madness
Make sure to have the dyno log boost and fuel.
Madness
I am only evaluating wether an intercooler works or not and doing some power runs, I won't be letting anyone mess with my expensive programming. Don't forget it is bespoke for my exact set up and controls everythingincluding the boost and fuel - they will be fine. The only reason to log them is for interest.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Madness
I am only evaluating wether an intercooler works or not and doing some power runs, I won't be letting anyone mess with my expensive programming. Don't forget it is bespoke for my exact set up and controls everythingincluding the boost and fuel - they will be fine. The only reason to log them is for interest.
TB, other than the power runs, what type of measurements will you be taking to determine how good the intercooler works. Is the testing only on the bench or will you do real driving datalogging under different driving conditions?

It will be interesting to compare dyno readings between your RS tuned engine and their recent one on the same MAHA dyno, I bet you are excited.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:37 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jean
I will start another thread on this when I've got a bit more time - yes it is very exciting and a lot of fun with reputations on the line
Old 06-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

TB, it may be that the engine is just running too lean and the ignition system cannot light of the leaner mixture and is causing misfires.

Quick Reply: Now I know why I have 2 fuel pumps !