Sponsored by:

suspension noise solved

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 04:33 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default suspension noise solved

My relatively new to me 97 993tt with H&R coilovers/swaybars 25mm front/22mm rear had been making a 'clunk' type noise from the back when going over bumps - particulary speed bumps when both rear wheels go over the bump at the same time. Not a problem when going over on an angle. Going over larger bumps just with the passenger side rear wheel would do it too. Got to be a little anoying. Had read all previous posts regarding proper torque for drop links/ adding tension on adjustable droplinks/ tightening clamps/ checking for clearance of droplinks to suspension parts etc - all appeared okay... Adjusted droplinks to different holes on swaybar didn't help. Local Porsche head mechanic said he had seen this on similar set ups and could not get the noise out and thought it may be normal for this type of set up. Suggested I change set up.
Well, I figured it out. Should post pics. Bushing had shifted into the clamps so that there was metal to metal contact between the clamp and retaining ring (?) that tightens on to the swaybar and prevents the sway bar from sliding side to side. Loosened clamp and pushed bushing out so that the retaining ring contacts outer part of bushing and not clamp.
Just wanted to share
Old 05-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Basal:

I'm glad to hear that you found the source of the noise and fixed it.

I'd just like to comment for the benefit of anyone who might read this thread that ALL of these non-factory swaybars that do not have the welded collars suffer the same fate.

Its an on-going issue as its virtually impossible for these clamp-on collars to stay tight and not creep sideways over time. This is a situation where the Factory really did the best job of engineering/manufacture and the aftermarket hasn't come close.

For a race car that gets constant periodic maintenance, this is no big deal at all but for street use, one should be aware of the need to check, reposition, and tighten the clamps from time to time. People using the Factory RS (or GT-2) bars will not have any issues since these have the steel collars welded in place.

Since the source of the lateral forces that push the bar sideways come from going in & out of driveways, one might not experience a problem if the majority of their mileage is highway use.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanx Steve
I'll be sure to check these from time to time

Ryojo
Old 05-31-2005, 11:56 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Somewhat related - although my suspension was less modded. I had H & R springs ans stock shocks (prev owner made this call) on my c4s when I bought it. Left Rear had a "clunk" over speed bumps and small potholes. When I put it up on jackstands - noticed the left rear shock was leaking fluid. One very dead shock. Sometimes the fixes can be simple too..

Quick Reply: suspension noise solved