gt3 seats into 993 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default gt3 seats into 993 TT

Hi all,
I've searched through the forums but still can't make any sense of it!
I've just ordered a pair of used gt3 leather seats with runners and all. Will these bolt straight into my 993?

Thnaks

Alan
Old 11-30-2004, 04:41 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

I have sport seats in my 993. The GT3 seats will come with 996 mountings. Are they not compatible?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Alan, the quick answer is no.. The rails for the 996 are different than the 993 rails.. However, you will need to purchase new rails and install them to your seats. You can purchase them from most Recaro seat suppliers...
Old 11-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

There was a thread on the 993 board with a great explanation and pics not too long ago. I ended up following the same route as was mentioned there. Worked perfectly well. Got the parts through Viperbob since he knew what was needed and bought it as a package from him.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:56 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

OK, so it sounds like I'm going to need some additional items? The brackets? I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Brey Krause have what you need if you prefer to buy them separately. I'd suggest you run a search for that thread, it is very informative.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:52 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the GT3 seats into my TT. I used the BreyKrause supplied brackets and rails from Viperbob. You will have to drill one hole in each bracket to align with the holes in the rails. Once thats done, your in. It is soo much fun diving into turns without having to brace yourself.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:36 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Do the Brey Krause brackets mount the GT3 seats directly to the floor? I'm looking for a little bit more headroom and don't really need the fore/aft adjustment.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:59 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks to me like you will add 1 inch of headroom by foregoing the sliders.You may not need it however because it seems like I gained some headroom with the GT3's. The sliders are very helpful when getting in and out of the car because the bolsters are sticking up and they're rigid making it easier to get in and out(plus saving on wear and tear of your $3000 seats) with the seats all the way back. Also you can pull off the padding under your rear for track days-gaining another 1/2 in. when your wearing a helmet.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I bolted mine directly to the floor for that extra room with a helmet on. It works fine for me. It is a very solid mount and with a slight tilt it would be hard to go any lower without hitting the floor.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys must be tall. I'm 5' 10"(not that that's tall or anything) and after installing my seats on rails, I feel noticelably lower, then again I dont have a big A$$ so that could explain why I sit kinda low
Old 11-30-2004, 11:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
David,

I bolted mine directly to the floor for that extra room with a helmet on. It works fine for me. It is a very solid mount and with a slight tilt it would be hard to go any lower without hitting the floor.

Keith - Thanks for the pics...helpful. So what parts did you need to buy to do this and how much was approx cost (if you recall?)

Thanks.
David
Old 12-01-2004, 03:37 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Well, got them and they're in - using the standard 996 mounting hardware!

This is what you do (sorry, camera had no batteries!)

Remove the supporting bracket from the front of the runners to enable you to straighten the runner.

Remove the locating lugs from the inner runners (hacksaw)

Remove the seatbelt bolts from the frames and cut 1/2 an inch from them. You don't need the outer ones.
I found I needed shorter seatbelt catches (the bit the seat belt clicks into). I used the REAR seat belt ones as nobody will be in the back anyway.

Undo the seatbelts from the sill area (17mm bolt)

Fit the seats in using the original hex head bolts. note that you can only fit 4 in each seat. You need to locate the holes furthest back as the heads will other wise stop the seat sliding fully back. By elongating a hole on the inner runner (only one needed adjustment), it is possible to get the seats further back than the originals.

That's it (I think). I'll organise some pictures asap. Now i've just noticed a power steering / clutch fluid leak in the engine bay that I thought I had alreadu fixed!

Thanks

Alan
Old 12-01-2004, 07:08 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 544 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEparts_com
Well, got them and they're in - using the standard 996 mounting hardware!

This is what you do (sorry, camera had no batteries!)

Remove the supporting bracket from the front of the runners to enable you to straighten the runner.

Remove the locating lugs from the inner runners (hacksaw)

Remove the seatbelt bolts from the frames and cut 1/2 an inch from them. You don't need the outer ones.
I found I needed shorter seatbelt catches (the bit the seat belt clicks into). I used the REAR seat belt ones as nobody will be in the back anyway.

Undo the seatbelts from the sill area (17mm bolt)

Fit the seats in using the original hex head bolts. note that you can only fit 4 in each seat. You need to locate the holes furthest back as the heads will other wise stop the seat sliding fully back. By elongating a hole on the inner runner (only one needed adjustment), it is possible to get the seats further back than the originals.

That's it (I think). I'll organise some pictures asap. Now i've just noticed a power steering / clutch fluid leak in the engine bay that I thought I had alreadu fixed!

Thanks

Alan
You will really enjoy the GT3 seats, any impressions yet?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:45 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

First impressions are that you can really feel the car, much much more than before. I can actually feel the car is more stable and firect than I realised. The standard seats act like a damper between you and the car's reactions. I took my g/f for a spin and she said the car feels more responsive!

Comfort levels are excellent. Very happy with the swap.

Only problem is the car has now developed a power steering leaf (again) - see 993 post.

I had just bought an impreza STI for track use. I'm thinking my baby will get to see the track next week instead!

Quick Reply: gt3 seats into 993 TT